What's new

Age of a pair of scissors

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2009
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
4,024
Golden Thread
0
Location
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
My guess for these is late 18th - early 19th century. Does that sound probable?

Thanks for any input ;D

j17s7p.jpg
 
Thanks!

I found them pretty deep so I thought they were older but those do look very close in design.

I wonder if I cleaned them up would they have to have a patent mark....?
 
Upvote 0
You will find these are most likely Sheffield made, from 1790's on up. They would have a maker's mark, registered with the Cutler's Company, which they can still look up for you.

This is a very common style.

c. 1790-1900, but the later ones were cast, and the part in front of the loop will be D shape, not oval like the early ones.
 
Upvote 0
Very coooool find! Hopefully they will be marked after they are 'electrocuted.' Breezie
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom