What's new

Alien Artifact? :)

PennDirtDigger

Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2019
Messages
82
Reaction score
243
Golden Thread
0
Location
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
kidding I think but I have no idea about this. I found it near a hiking path in the woods. It is very thin and feels like aluminum. Any ideas?? IMG_0787.webpIMG_0785.webpIMG_0784.webpIMG_0783.webp
 
Looks SILVER to me....
with a fancy engraved "P"
What's the back look like??

Cool find what ever it is
 
Upvote 0
I agree with a "P". Probably from a flattened coin.

A good luck piece or practice for an apprentice engraver, maybe
 
Upvote 0
Pretty sure it’s from oak island
 
Upvote 0
No idea but it's pretty cool looking. Good find.
 
Upvote 0
Appears to be made of silver.......good luck with the alien ID.
 
Upvote 0
the back is just plain and it is super thin and light. about as thick as an aluminum can.

Its English lettering, not alien. Unless the aliens learned the English alphabet. Google Old English fonts and you will see some examples of this style of lettering. Its a cool old 19th century find, silver for sure with the letter P hand engraved in Old English. Plain on the back tells me it attached to something where only the P side was visible. What it attached to, I dont know. It either fell off or the rest rotted away. It looks a little concave. Is it concave?

old english font.webp old english.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yep! Old English P. It may have some age to it. Nice find!
 
Upvote 0
If concave and just a WAG on my part, maybe a thumb piece off a flintlock pistol or rifle? They were inlayed behind the barrel tang in the stock wrist.
 
Upvote 0
It has the look of Middle Eastern or Turkish decoration to me, looks like silver as well.
I can't see someone taking the time to engrave aluminum like that.

Nagant's suggestion above is interesting. :icon_scratch:
Dave
 
Upvote 0
I just wanted to throw in my two cents...

52cd9e2a5d6ec.webpil_340x270_1429389963_fa1l.webp
 
Upvote 0
Yes it is concave. I have found several old horseshoes in the area so maybe a saddle decoration??
 
Upvote 0
we used to put coins on railroad rails to flatten after cars pass over
 
Upvote 0
more info

Its English lettering, not alien. Unless the aliens learned the English alphabet. Google Old English fonts and you will see some examples of this style of lettering. Its a cool old 19th century find, silver for sure with the letter P hand engraved in Old English. Plain on the back tells me it attached to something where only the P side was visible. What it attached to, I dont know. It either fell off or the rest rotted away. It looks a little concave. Is it concave?

View attachment 1711396 View attachment 1711399

Wow I didn't think I had something old here. I am adding a photo of the back and the other piece that was in the hole(which I thought was unimportant).You all are awesome.IMG_0789.webpIMG_0790.webp

ooo...ooo...ooo wait a sec. You all said silver so I just ran the scrap piece through the silver cleaner and it says STERLING :)IMG_0791.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Congrats on your unique find! HuntinDog got it right off the bat. Stylized Monogram. I like nagant's idea of a thumb tag as well. If it were a saddle tag it would have had small pins soldered to the back to attach it to the leather. Thinly beaten silver.

Best wishes!
 
Upvote 0
Just a wonder if....
Does the scrap piece match the circumference of the "P" piece??
It could have been attached around it to form a top to a small box.
Great finds..
Congrats
 
Upvote 0
Found near a hiking trail? Could be a doo dad from some ones hiking stick. I've seen several hikers with similar from the trails they've hiked.
 
Upvote 0
Alien?...Only If This Is Swiss!

What I believe you have found is...The Back of an...Antique Watch!

Many early Wrist Watches were hand made and had the Movement of the Watch engraved inside.

Swiss Watch 2.webpSwiss Watch Back.webpSwiss Watch Movement 2.webpSwiss Watch Movement.webp
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom