All things hardrock ...

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Shoot if you were closer to Oregon I'd be over right now to see the mill operate! I'd be happy to get 1 ton a day. Come June hoping to fire mine up if I can find some decent ore. Been prospecting with the detector, tracing the strike of veins mapping everything out in ONx. Been through 1,000 of feet of tunnels. Best I found so far runs 0.14opt gold and .16opt silver. Used a cheap china digital computer scope to take the picture. Crushed to about 80 mesh. Planning on prospecting and hopefully mining 3 months this year solid. Have to wait till the kids are on summer vacation. Start with dig some of the overburden off a vein the old timers surface mined and possibly drift into the sidehill if the vein has consistent values. Gain 1 foot of back for every foot in because the hill is so steep. They surface mined it for a good 300 feet so there's alot of vein left underneath.. If it turns out the vein is barren or pockety I'll forget about drifting on it and look for pockets. Being they surface mined it for such a long consistent stretch though I suspect that it has ore throughout. Won't know till the snow melts and I can get digging!
Low-Sulfide Quartz Gold Deposit Model

Roasting is a process of heating a sulfide ore to a high temperature in the presence of air.

Roasting (metallurgy)

Attachments

• of03-077.pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 58

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would be happy to work 1 ton a week…lol

Even though I hope to return to Reno some day to search for some ever elusive so-called quartz…

Tomorrow….Always tomorrow…So much for today is the day… :)

Ed T
I agree that 1 ton a week is a more realistic goal due to all sorts of issues and I'm glad with that as a goal.

Right now I figure that steel cable is the way to go for moving equipment and rock around. Will add a couple of chain hosts to the cable for lifting and lowering.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Shoot if you were closer to Oregon I'd be over right now to see the mill operate! I'd be happy to get 1 ton a day. Come June hoping to fire mine up if I can find some decent ore. Been prospecting with the detector, tracing the strike of veins mapping everything out in ONx. Been through 1,000 of feet of tunnels. Best I found so far runs 0.14opt gold and .16opt silver. Used a cheap china digital computer scope to take the picture. Crushed to about 80 mesh. Planning on prospecting and hopefully mining 3 months this year solid. Have to wait till the kids are on summer vacation. Start with dig some of the overburden off a vein the old timers surface mined and possibly drift into the sidehill if the vein has consistent values. Gain 1 foot of back for every foot in because the hill is so steep. They surface mined it for a good 300 feet so there's alot of vein left underneath.. If it turns out the vein is barren or pockety I'll forget about drifting on it and look for pockets. Being they surface mined it for such a long consistent stretch though I suspect that it has ore throughout. Won't know till the snow melts and I can get digging!
You are on the right track from what your picture shows.
With all the scare now about forest fires. We may have to mine either underground only or more in the winter time - spring.

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I will even mill my own timbers for going underground when that stage happens. There is lots of big downed trees that will have bugs in them that no one will get bent out of shape over. If necessary will send pictures of dying trees and notice the FS before cutting for clean wood timbers that come only from the claim grounds.

I don't like the idea of going under ground with out a lot of cribbing work and may have to have a fair amount of help for that type of work.

Mountaineer2020

Jul 5, 2020
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab gs3000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I will even mill my own timbers for going underground when that stage happens. There is lots of big downed trees that will have bugs in them that no one will get bent out of shape over. If necessary will send pictures of dying trees and notice the FS before cutting for clean wood timbers that come only from the claim grounds.

I don't like the idea of going under ground with out a lot of cribbing work and may have to have a fair amount of help for that type of work.
The rock is pretty competent where I'm working. The crosscut in the picture is 120 years old. No cave-ins and 400 feet long to where it intersects the vein. Most of the timbers were for hanging lanterns and perching packrats like the picture. The tunnels I have been in haven't caved except where they got crazy stoping. Usually the portal is in bad shape too from weathering and erosion. But ya if it does come to setting some timbers going to need some extra muscle.

Attachments

• HillTop Xcut.jpg
    HillTop Xcut.jpg
    517.7 KB · Views: 54

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had one heck of an experience here on tnet but I feel it is time to bid farewell to this site…I believe there are more trackers on this site than there should be…I believe that over 70 is overkill…

Good luck to all of your in your quests for whatever it is that your hearts desire…

Ed T ;)

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have had one heck of an experience here on tnet but I feel it is time to bid farewell to this site…I believe there are more trackers on this site than there should be…I believe that over 70 is overkill…

Good luck to all of your in your quests for whatever it is that your hearts desire…

Ed T ;)
You can always start a conversation with the ones you want to talk to. Then there will be no trackers.

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good video. Cavers call this "capping" or "Tic Boom" in Europe. It works. The only major disadvantage is being closer than you'd like to the action.
Also called micro shaving.
I think I would rather invest in a micro blaster and keep my didtance

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Also called micro shaving.
I think I would rather invest in a micro blaster and keep my didtance
A little to close for comfort in case something goes wrong.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think a shotgun size charge with a remote trigger is a safer setup. One should always have some real protection between you and the charge going off.

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've worked over a few of these type trenchs found out by sampling they we're just rich surface deposits, a couple had drifting below them in the mnt but there was no vein to be found below guess because of the surface richness exploration into the mnt was worthy, lot of work for nothing.
I think they called these a blind drift...
Gt....
I haven't forgotten about the pics of different veins, I been dealing with the covid for a week now so haven't been out, still to sick to deal with 30 miles of washboard road, I've grown to dislike off roaders on the mine roads, they are just to destructive, but there's more of them than miners so I just bite the bullet drive 10 mile an hour and get my tits shook off....

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The rock is pretty competent where I'm working. The crosscut in the picture is 120 years old. No cave-ins and 400 feet long to where it intersects the vein. Most of the timbers were for hanging lanterns and perching packrats like the picture. The tunnels I have been in haven't caved except where they got crazy stoping. Usually the portal is in bad shape too from weathering and erosion. But ya if it does come to setting some timbers going to need some extra muscle.

Attachments​

• HillTop Xcut.jpg
    HillTop Xcut.jpg
    517.7 KB · Views: 9

Competent meaning should be productive? Maybe you meant safe to work.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Once again I'm the odd man out I would just go to the truck grab a sledge and commence to breakin rock.
Getter done ...
Gt.....
A sledge is hard to beet for all terrain grounds. Still like the idea of a stamp mill no matter how small it is if one is working all the time during the week.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I also like the idea of a small lift / chair lift mover to move bags of rocks you can not pick up to swing the rocks around as needed.
Anyone use a lift of some kind on rough grounds?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread