Capt.E
Full Member
- Joined
- Jan 17, 2008
- Messages
- 150
- Reaction score
- 278
- Golden Thread
- 1
- Location
- FAR NOR CAL
- 🥇 Banner finds
- 1
- Detector(s) used
- Whites Xlt , Minelab Equinox 800 , Fisher Goldbug 2
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
DigginThePast said:GoodyGuy said:Winchester
What would have been the letters in the middle?
I figured Union Metallic Cartridges - UMC.
GoodyGuy said:DigginThePast said:GoodyGuy said:Winchester
What would have been the letters in the middle?
I figured Union Metallic Cartridges - UMC.
That sounds rightProbably a souvenir from a wild west show.
Some Trivia;
Winchester bought UMC and In 1888, Winchester and UMC jointly purchased Remington, a manufacturer of firearms and ammunition. Eight years later, in 1896, UMC purchased Winchester's share of Remington, and then UMC was the sole owner of Remington. In 1933, DuPont acquired 60% of UMC and Remington. In 1980, DuPont purchased the remaining stock in Remington, and Remington then became a wholly-owned subsidiary of DuPont.
terrydoo said:This looks like something that was shot in mid air, maybe at a show or something but I know its old. any ideas
There does not seem to be any writing on the back that I can see.GoodyGuy said:terrydoo said:This looks like something that was shot in mid air, maybe at a show or something but I know its old. any ideas
What is on the back?
But I don't know by whom or why that one was shot. MontyI measured it and looks to be 5 mm thick exactly and heres some more pics.DigginThePast said:Monty raises a good point. While I don't see anything that leads me to believe that the disc in question is actually a coin, the thickness of it may preclude it having been shot by a .22.
terrydoo, can you get an accurate measurement of the thickness? It may not help to ID but it may rule out certain exhibition shoots.

I believe yes they are shot out of the air with high powered rifles. The Remington ones are. SHOT WITH A REMINGTON RIFLE. Wouldnt be much of a trick shot with a shotgun. Seems dangerous nowadays shooting in the air..DigginThePast said:Wow, 5mm is pretty thick. Monty called it, a high powered rifle.....no .22 would do that.
So I think that would rule out the exhibition shooters tossing discs in the air and shooting them.
Have to keep searching for that style disc with that slogan though.
bigcypresshunter said:I believe yes they are shot out of the air with high powered rifles. The Remington ones are. SHOT WITH A REMINGTON RIFLE. Wouldnt be much of a trick shot with a shotgun. Seems dangerous nowadays shooting in the air..DigginThePast said:Wow, 5mm is pretty thick. Monty called it, a high powered rifle.....no .22 would do that.
So I think that would rule out the exhibition shooters tossing discs in the air and shooting them.
Have to keep searching for that style disc with that slogan though.
Here are the same Remington discs shot with something with less power.
Maybe they were shot as a stationary target. 