Capt.E
Full Member
- Joined
- Jan 17, 2008
- Messages
- 150
- Reaction score
- 278
- Golden Thread
- 1
- Location
- FAR NOR CAL
- 🥇 Banner finds
- 1
- Detector(s) used
- Whites Xlt , Minelab Equinox 800 , Fisher Goldbug 2
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
farky-aka said:while we are on this topic, I found a 50 cent sized 'coin' with a picture of a frontiersman in coon skin hat holding a long rifle and the motto-'The Man with the Gunne-Grand Rapids' ? will try to post photo been buggin' me fer years what this about-

MontyEdwinC said:When i was going thru training at Fort Lewis Wa. in 1970, they had a class where they taught us how to do what they called "quick kill". Basically like skeet shooting but with a rifle not a shotgun. We used bb guns to learn on. They would start out with a metal disk about the size of a silver dollar and toss it into the air. Once you could hit it 3 or 4 times they would go down in size and repeat it. Eventually it got down to where they would throw a bb into the air and you would try to hit it. Surprising how many guys could do it.

LOL!GoodyGuy said:EdwinC said:When i was going thru training at Fort Lewis Wa. in 1970, they had a class where they taught us how to do what they called "quick kill". Basically like skeet shooting but with a rifle not a shotgun. We used bb guns to learn on. They would start out with a metal disk about the size of a silver dollar and toss it into the air. Once you could hit it 3 or 4 times they would go down in size and repeat it. Eventually it got down to where they would throw a bb into the air and you would try to hit it. Surprising how many guys could do it.
I used to be able to kill flies with a pellet rifle, course I was only trying to wing em'![]()
I saw that on Beverly Hillbillies where Jed and Jeffro were shooting the wings of of flies on the front wall from quite a distance..GoodyGuy said:I used to be able to kill flies with a pellet rifle, course I was only trying to wing em'![]()
bigcypresshunter said:I saw that on Beverly Hillbillies where Jed and Jeffro were shooting the wings of of flies on the front wall from quite a distance..GoodyGuy said:I used to be able to kill flies with a pellet rifle, course I was only trying to wing em'![]()

It might be a little easier if you wait until they land.GoodyGuy said:bigcypresshunter said:I saw that on Beverly Hillbillies where Jed and Jeffro were shooting the wings of of flies on the front wall from quite a distance..GoodyGuy said:I used to be able to kill flies with a pellet rifle, course I was only trying to wing em'![]()
Me too that's where I got the idea. It's a lot harder than they made it look.![]()

Woodland Detectors 4-H said:I believe that is a Winchester slogan. Remington UMC shows no reference to that slogan.
That coin could be valuable. I see Winchester badges and pins going for over a hundred bucks.
phs3194 said:Rather than Annie Oakley, I would think it a souvenir of Ad and Plinky Topperwein or Herb Parson. They toured the country in the first half of the last century.
bigcypresshunter said:Harder to shoot too.Here are the same Remington discs shot with something with less power.
It seems to say "SHOT WITH A KLEANBORE REMINGTON CARTRIDGE" on one side, and "SHOT WITH A REMINGTON RIFLE" on the other.
You know more about it than I do and maybe Im wrong but I assumed the first discs I posted were tossed in the air and shot with a high powered rifle.Maybe they were shot as a stationary target.
![]()
). Billy Hill lived nearby me and he was a demo shooter for Remington Arms, and reportedly outshot Annie Oakley, at demo shoots they would toss these slugs into the air and they would shoot them, Billy Hill used to shoot aspirins out of the air with a .22 as well. At these shoots there were some very accomplished shooters and from what I hear they put on quite a show, tyring to out shoot the other.