#@%*&!! AMATEURS!!!

XL-PRO PRO

Sep 18, 2008
Winchester Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT All Pro,Fisher F-19,Blistool V-5,Sovereign XS
#@%*&!! AMATEURS!!!

Hit my favorite swim area this morning while on my ring quest.Right in the middle of the grassy walking path was a huge hole.Swept it & removed the zincoln from the pile of dirt and began filling the hole.Since it had rained the dirt was settled and I had to use sand from the beach to fill it.These people that don't fill give us all a bad rap and cause the establishment to shut down more detecting sites.Maybe detectors need a warning label like tobacco; "FILL YOUR HOLES"!!! The only good part of this venture was ring #4 for this year.DBULL

Upvote 0

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
most of them are people that just use a detector once or twice a year, dig a few pull tabs, and never pull it out again.

they don't care, but I'm sure they all think about it. It's common sense.

As far as the size of the shovel, if you know how to dig it doesn't matter. I could use a shovel 3 feet wide, and once I'm done you couldn't tell I was there. The technique is in the plug itself. I'd rather dig a little bigger hole then a smaller hole for several reasons. Less chance of hitting the target with the shovel, and also if you have a small hole with a big target, you have to start digging into the sidewall and digging plugs next to plugs, and all it does it make it more messy in the end.

That said, I wouldn't bring a full sized shovel hunting with me, unless I was in water; but I wouldn't say a word to someone or think less of them who preferred a full sized shovel if they were as good as digging plugs as I am.

Last edited:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I always wanted a tecter but never gave it too much serious thought. My buddy had one for sale and I bought it, my first, long ago. Ok, off we went and the silver flowed for a good spell and my bud showed me all the ropes, he taught me tectin which is tough to learn all alone. But if I did not have my bud to show me the ropes, I would have probably not have considered the care needed in recovery, maybe it would not occur to me that I should fill the hole. Maybe it would not be at first apparent that you have to pp the crap dead on so as not to make the lawn look like Iwo Jima after the great battle in the big one. So I can imagine this stuff happening, trespassing and not filling holes and such, and I have in fact seen it. It just may not occur to somebody that they should fill in the hole and that they must seek permission. It seems absurd to us now, but when one first starts, without a teacher or mentor, who knows whats going on in that crazy noggin?. Heck you have to be a bit shy of a marble or two just to even go tectin in the first place so anything can happen I reckon.

Last edited:

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see why this thread died people arguing lol.

Anyways I see this here also. Went to the pool after it closed, was late about 3 weeks though. Was going around seeing holes so knew I was late to the party. Well some holes weren't even covered. Sad part is one hole I found a roll af quarters in it the paper was rotting. And all toghter another 5 or so bucks lol. I still scratch my head wondering what that guy was looking for.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I greeted a guy that was detecting in a park I was visiting and he was leaving holes and the junk sometimes setting on top of the plug. I tried to tell him that he should replace the plug and pack out his trash. He told me where to go using cuss words. I knew the park manager's number so I gave him a call and he showed up with the parks deputy. The TH'er received a ticket for destruction of park property. At court he received a stiff fine, had to pay for repairs to the grass and lost his park pass. Made me a happy camper. :hello2:

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always has to be some idiots to give other people a bad taste about this hobby.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
I was at a park and this guy walks up to me and I'm thinking "great, what does this guy want". He tells me that a woman called the cops on a guy detecting in this park. He said the guy had a full sized shovel and was leaving giant holes. He saw I had a small digger and was filling the my little holes and said I should be OK. Can you imagine a full sized shovel in a park!
I've replied to many youtube videos about having a long handled shovel in parks. This stirs up this huge argument. I've called some out on the forums as well and this too starts the debate. I've heard it all - It's my park because I pay my taxes so I'll use what I want - I dig neat and better plugs than with a trowel - No ones said anything to me yet? - I don't have a small digger - the police just wave at me - etc.... I do believe that most experienced users of shovels do a nice job. But explain that to the other park users while they are calling the cops or the parks department! All they see is a Backhoe and imagine 3 feet deep holes. You have to use the right tool for the job. When your in a public park you need to tame your digger down. In my opinion the Predator 31 is as big as you should go. Plus it excavates like crazy. In the woods or field hunting with the owners permission a shovel is perfect. Plus some of these put on detecting shows that do show shovels being used and yes, a Backhoe gives us a bad name.

OP
OP
XL-PRO PRO

XL-PRO PRO

Sep 18, 2008
Winchester Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT All Pro,Fisher F-19,Blistool V-5,Sovereign XS
The whole ideal is to blend in as best you can with the site you are detecting.Open fields a shovels fine.Some people will see a lesche in a schoolyard as a weapon,so avoid a possible confrontation and use a small trowel.Always leave the area as close to undisturbed as possible.Try to smile at onlookers.

mineralized_miner

Dec 2, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster GT
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just a kid, but I have enough common sense to know that you shouldn't leave a canker sore on the grass for some poor toddler to break his femur in.
My friend, however is the definition of a MDing newbie.
He swings my loaning detector in a parabola of sorts and only comes within six inches of the ground at the minimum Y value. He leaves huge holes, and I follow along behind him, as he occasionally finds stuff, digs a hole slightly off, and after a foot, gives up and leaves the dirt pile 5 feet away. I just stick my ProPointer in, find the target, and fill in the hole.

The thing is; however, that these hole-leavers are what got metal detecting banned in my county, with nothing more than a garden trowel. You can still hunt in volleyball pits and playgrounds, to the best of my knowledge, but I have never found anything other than an astray clad quarter and a pitted zinc penny. I used to find the occasional wheatie in the grass and junk jewelry next to the basketball courts, but because of people who leave a ring of dirt 5 feet from the hole because they fling their castings away, it impacts us all negatively. As said on another website (or maybe this one), all detectorists are smeared with the same tar brush even though some of us shouldn't be. In fact, most of us are completely innocent when it comes to "destruction of property."

But, my county has something against "removal of archaeological artifacts" and I've heard that anything older than 1970 constitutes as one. I'm sure that if you can find abundantly in pocket change, it isn't significgant to the history of mankind, unless someone murdered a politica figure with a memorial penny. Then, that memorial penny would be important. But not a blackened 1967 dime. In the dirt. In my county's parks. I have dug my fair share of digging nails and screws out of sandboxes and volleyball pits too.

It also seems to mme that if a toddler digs a hole with a shovel in the sand pit, it's fine, but when there is a WHite's Coinmaster GT is involved, it is some sort of felony.

These people need to be educated, maybe with a section in a manual, or maybe Stamped on the control box, "Fill your holes!!!" (This may sound like idea rights infringement, but I give credit to the person who said it should be in the manuals or stamped on the coil, but I don't want to lose this message if I go back a page to find out who said it to quote them.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread