What's new

An Orientation Day at the Wayside Tavern (Pic Added)

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2007
Messages
3,846
Reaction score
9
Golden Thread
0
Location
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Hey, dudes and dudettes, it has been awhile since the one and only KirkPA has posted a thread. But, before I get on to my thread-thready-threadster, I would like to take a step back from reality and put on a show for you loving people. :-* Hmmmm...you may be asking your in-tell-la-gent datectin' brains, "What does KirkPA have up his detecting sleeve?" In an obnoxious tribal shout, KirkPA bellows, "The 1st Stand-up act on Tnet!" So, sit back on your detecting butts...:D....and enjoy a super long laugh.

The place: Tnet Lunchroom. The time: Lunch time. The dudes and dudette attending: Captn_SE, Danimal, Mirage, Evolution, Dimeman, Jeff of PA (just in case I get "out of line" :D), Mona Lisa, borninok, zoyboy, DFX-Gregg, {Sentinel}, and numerous other forum members.

After a typical KirkPA lunch of beans and apple cider, he looks over at Captn_SE and whispers, "Hey, bud, you want to watch KirkPA in action?" In a whisper, SE states back, "I don't know what you mean, but go for it." So, while Danimal, Mirage, borninok, DFX-Gregg, and Dimeman partake in conversation about forum issues, KirkPA stands up and proceeds, "Ahem, ahem, ahem....thank you for your attention, gentlemen and lady (winks at Mona), if you won't mind some KirkPA entertainment, I will further proceed to accompany you on a journey of laughter and fun. You up for it?" Some dude in the back, yells, "Oh, get a life!" Some dude in the middle, screams, "Give me a break!" Some dude in the front, states, "Please, sir, I would like to partake."

KirkPA further proceeds to the front of the lunchroom where other forum members are starting to fill in, but before he starts his act, he looks over at Jeff of PA, and asks, "Jeff, is it okay with you?" Jeff states back, "Just keep it within the lines of the forum rules."

KirkPA asks the Tnet members to please keep the chat to a whisper and begins his act. "A few of you dudes will like this one....audible KirkPA chuckle....'What does KirkPA + His Ego add up to? Simple, a Pro XL!'" A few hecklers from the back started to "Booooo." KirkPA looked at them and stated, "Hey, dudes, what is the easiest way to add a few inches? Huh? Huh? Huh? KirkPA was laughing super hard now. Just turn up your gain!" KirkPA supporters were on the floor laughing super hard and loud. One of them, stated, "You are a riot!" "I think this one will strike a chord in some of you dudes, but it is all in fun...'What is with dudes taking pills for ED? Booooo. Heck, a dollar hit is my Cialis.'" KirkPA supporters were laughing so hard, boogies started to come out of their nasal passages :o :D

KirkPA proceeded to take a drink of water and then decided to open up a pack of Strawberry blunt cigars. He lit one up and asked the audience, "Would anyone like one? Don't be shy!" Captn_SE raised his hand, kind of like a dude kid in school, and responded, "I would, Kirk!" I threw him one and he lit up and joined me in some KirkPA-like musing. :D

With Strawberry essence engulfing the Tnet Lunchroom, a few lurkers entered the room thinking that someone had just made muffins....upon their entrance, KirkPA looked at them and stated, "Dudes, care for a smoke?" One lurker responded back, "Darn, I thought I smelled muffins." KirkPA: "No, dude, it is my Strawberry flavored ci-gar. Sorry, but if you want to watch my Stand-up act, you need to sign up for a username and join the forum. Join the Treasurenet.com forum. It is cheap, easy, and fun." A forum moderator stated, "Thanks, Kirk, for that gesture."

While Captn was puffing smoke all over the room, I started back up again, "Captn, this one is for you...'What is in Captn_SE's closet? A White's!" KirkPA was on his back rolling on the ground in laughter...his ci-gar was still in his mouth and his water still in hand A few of the hecklers stood up and left the room...KirkPA then decided to end his act, "Dudes, thanks for your time. I hope you enjoyed it. If not, pardon my indecorous comedy act. Thank you, there is free metal detecting advice out on the forum at 1 p.m., so if you are interested, consult your daily forum guide." That was when all of the KirkPA supporters ran up to him and asked him for his autograph...Kirk signed some in haste, since he needed to head out to the forum boards.

Back to the metal detecting day...

PACO, zoy, and I headed out to the Colonial tavern site yesterday, since some of it was harvested. Since the farmer told us to check back in during the fall, we knocked on his door at 10 a.m., but no one answered. So, we decided to wait around for about an hour, but Mr. Farmer didn't show up. So, we decided to drive around the city for awhile and talk about our hobby. At 12, we knocked on his door again and it was soon answered....after some further dialogue, we were granted permission to detect the site. His wife even stated to us, in response to the fact that we are going to put together a display case for them, "You guys are the 1st to ever offer that. That is so nice of you." SEE...we do showcase ourselves with professionalism! :D

We geared up and walked about a half-mile into the field...it is a large field, but since zoy narrowed down the site, we were soon standing at the site of the Colonial tavern. We eyeballed thousands of pottery shards all over the place...about half the size of a football field. But, since most of the corn wasn't harvested, we could only detect at certain areas. In 30 seconds of time, zoyboy found half of a Colonial shoe buckle. Then, I started to find an assortment of Colonial but-tins....most of them are the size of a quarter. Since this place is littered with ferrous, we had to dig a lot of signals. We were, literally, yelling out, "Button!" almost every other minute. But, we had found NO coins yet! That seemed a little odd....we are thinking the site has been hunted or we have not found the actual location of the tavern yet...zoyboy even said, "Maybe we are at the dump now." After about 3 hours of detecting, we had found 20 buttons, 15 musketballs, and other relics. I found 7 buttons, a brass thimble, and 2 dropped musketballs.

Now, since the site is NOT fully harvested, we are going to be attacking it again and again and again. We will definitely find some coins and other relics, so it is a site worth focusing on. The site is massive, so I think we need to scout some more before we actually locate the yard of the tavern.

We were given exclusive permission to detect the site whenever we wanted...we also know where a homestead once stood back in the 1770s on their same property, so that site should produce some nice goodies.

*All relics were found on private property with total consent from the sweet landowners.

tavernsite008.jpg


Question: What is the object near zoy's shoe buckle? Is it part of a belt buckle? I found that in the ferrous-infested area.
 
Upvote 0
Re: An Orientation Day at the Wayside Tavern

By the way. You are the only dude on here that could get this many responses to a post with no pictures. ;D ;D I wouldn't mind seeing pics of the buttons.....even though I am a coppafile now.
 
Re: An Orientation Day at the Wayside Tavern

Evolution said:
I actually liked it. The new avatar is great too. I'm not too much of a cigar nut but I've been known to knock back a few cold beers after a good hunt. I'm trying to picture that site in my head. Is it possible you guys could snap a few pics of the site without giving away the location? It sounds awesome.

I wouldn't mind pounding back a few beers after a decent hunt. I will take a picture next week...I'm not worried about any dudes in my area finding the site. One, it is difficult to locate. Two, they would need to get permission and I think the landowners would say, "We already have guys doing it."

It is a very peaceful setting...we are out in the middle of nowhere.
 
Re: An Orientation Day at the Wayside Tavern

Evolution said:
By the way. You are the only dude on here that could get this many responses to a post with no pictures. ;D ;D I wouldn't mind seeing pics of the buttons.....even though I am a coppafile now.

I will post pics tonight, if zoy will do it. I love your signature! LMFAO
 
Re: An Orientation Day at the Wayside Tavern

I was wondering if you were going to notice that. Good eye. I didn't give you credit on the quote though. I'm officially crediting you so I don't get sued for plagarism. Looking forward to the pics.
 
Re: An Orientation Day at the Wayside Tavern

Evolution said:
I was wondering if you were going to notice that. Good eye. I didn't give you credit on the quote though. I'm officially crediting you so I don't get sued for plagarism. Looking forward to the pics.

KirkPA has the memory of a time machine and the wit of a noble genius. :D
 
Re: An Orientation Day at the Wayside Tavern

Hey Kirk,

I think you broke new ground on Tnet today. This was the first stand-up comedy act/colonial site post I've seen so far. So you handed me a cigar, huh? The only time I smoked a cigar, I turned a scary shade of turf green....hehehe But you are right about one thing....my White's is in my closet. ;D

I think eventually you will find some good coins at that site. You guys saw and dug a lot of good indicators there. Just a matter of time. Those sites you, Zoy, and Paco are hunting are places I dream about hunting. ::) No Cialis for me...hehehhhhehee

Your avatar is real funny. Yes, I've been un-mulletized too.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan
 
Kirkels,
You sure that was a cigar you were smoking? :o Wow, what a story. I had to print it and take it to the john with me it was so long. ;D
Sorry to hear you didn't score any coins, but I'm sure you guys will soon enough. Sounds like a fantastic spot. If you don't want them ol' buttons, send em' my way. ;)
As far as 1800's finds on that farm I hunt, my ratio has been about 45 old buttons to only one 1800's coin so far (the 1874 IH in my avatar). I'm still hoping and looking though.
Hopefully the woods will turn up a few for me. ???
Keep up the good work.
-MM-
P.S. I see I squeezed into the top 25 again this week. I'm trying hard Baby!
 
Kirk, you will find the coins. You are DEFINITELY on a good spot bud! Broken pottery, musketballs, flat buttons. That has to be the site. I think ya'll will find the colonial coppa as soon as the farmer finishes cutting down the corn so you have more ground to search.
 
KirkPA, I believe that we did hit the frickin' dump area. The entire day, if you were listening closely, I was repeating outloud, "Non-glazed pottery equals 1700s, glazed pottery equals 1800s, non-glazed pottery equals 1700s, glazed pottery equals 1800s!" We must keep swinging our boxes with short sweeps, accompanying each of them with long sweeps after every other prior sweep.

KirkPA and PACO, let's keep our metal detecting heads held up high and keep swinging with cookie monster passion. :D

zoyster
 
Ahhh now we're talkin' I love those buttons and relics. Those old sites are the BEST. I can't wait till you start pulling some coins out of there. I see big copper on its way!
 
Re: An Orientation Day at the Wayside Tavern

Captn_SE said:
Hey Kirk,

I think you broke new ground on Tnet today. This was the first stand-up comedy act/colonial site post I've seen so far. So you handed me a cigar, huh? The only time I smoked a cigar, I turned a scary shade of turf green....hehehe But you are right about one thing....my White's is in my closet. ;D

I think eventually you will find some good coins at that site. You guys saw and dug a lot of good indicators there. Just a matter of time. Those sites you, Zoy, and Paco are hunting are places I dream about hunting. ::) No Cialis for me...hehehhhhehee

Your avatar is real funny. Yes, I've been un-mulletized too.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

I broke the barrier, bud. lol Your Cialis is a Seated half dollar! LMAO Bud, I hope we can find the tavern yard quickly...there are coppas and old wilver to be found. The landowners are cool, so we can spend all fall here.
 
zoyboy said:
KirkPA, I believe that we did hit the frickin' dump area. The entire day, if you were listening closely, I was repeating outloud, "Non-glazed pottery equals 1700s, glazed pottery equals 1800s, non-glazed pottery equals 1700s, glazed pottery equals 1800s!" We must keep swinging our boxes with short sweeps, accompanying each of them with long sweeps after every other prior sweep.

KirkPA and PACO, let's keep our metal detecting heads held up high and keep swinging with cookie monster passion. :D

zoyster

Okay, now I know what you were saying...I couldn't understand you because I was busy digging but-tins.

Cookie monster did show a lot of passion eating those coo-keys. :D
 
KirkPA said:
Question: What is the object near zoy's shoe buckle? Is it part of a belt buckle? I found that in the ferrous-infested area.

It looks like a more recent lock plate (the side that goes on the edge of the door for a bolt that goes into the door jamb).
 
"Non-glazed pottery equals 1700s, glazed pottery equals 1800s, non-glazed pottery equals 1700s, glazed pottery equals 1800s!"

Hmmmmmm....Not true. There was plenty of glazed pottery made in the 1700's.

It's obvious you guys have done your research though and I'm sure will be rewarded with some good finds when you return. Good luck!
 
Nice picture Bud. Looks like alot of the butt-tins I've been finding lately. Great site you've got there.
 
laralucine said:
KirkPA said:
Question: What is the object near zoy's shoe buckle? Is it part of a belt buckle? I found that in the ferrous-infested area.

It looks like a more recent lock plate (the side that goes on the edge of the door for a bolt that goes into the door jamb).

It definitely isn't "recent." This site dates back over two hundred years. But, maybe you are correct in it being part of a door plate. Anybody else agree with her?
 
incajoe said:
"Non-glazed pottery equals 1700s, glazed pottery equals 1800s, non-glazed pottery equals 1700s, glazed pottery equals 1800s!"

Hmmmmmm....Not true. There was plenty of glazed pottery made in the 1700's.

It's obvious you guys have done your research though and I'm sure will be rewarded with some good finds when you return. Good luck!

Mr. Walter would disagree, but he detected "alllll" summer for a couple coins. :D
 
ModernMiner said:
Kirkels,
You sure that was a cigar you were smoking? :o Wow, what a story. I had to print it and take it to the john with me it was so long. ;D
Sorry to hear you didn't score any coins, but I'm sure you guys will soon enough. Sounds like a fantastic spot. If you don't want them ol' buttons, send em' my way. ;)
As far as 1800's finds on that farm I hunt, my ratio has been about 45 old buttons to only one 1800's coin so far (the 1874 IH in my avatar). I'm still hoping and looking though.
Hopefully the woods will turn up a few for me. ???
Keep up the good work.
-MM-
P.S. I see I squeezed into the top 25 again this week. I'm trying hard Baby!

Did you have beans and apple cider, too, for lunch? :D
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom