What's new

An Orientation Day at the Wayside Tavern (Pic Added)

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2007
Messages
3,846
Reaction score
9
Golden Thread
0
Location
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Hey, dudes and dudettes, it has been awhile since the one and only KirkPA has posted a thread. But, before I get on to my thread-thready-threadster, I would like to take a step back from reality and put on a show for you loving people. :-* Hmmmm...you may be asking your in-tell-la-gent datectin' brains, "What does KirkPA have up his detecting sleeve?" In an obnoxious tribal shout, KirkPA bellows, "The 1st Stand-up act on Tnet!" So, sit back on your detecting butts...:D....and enjoy a super long laugh.

The place: Tnet Lunchroom. The time: Lunch time. The dudes and dudette attending: Captn_SE, Danimal, Mirage, Evolution, Dimeman, Jeff of PA (just in case I get "out of line" :D), Mona Lisa, borninok, zoyboy, DFX-Gregg, {Sentinel}, and numerous other forum members.

After a typical KirkPA lunch of beans and apple cider, he looks over at Captn_SE and whispers, "Hey, bud, you want to watch KirkPA in action?" In a whisper, SE states back, "I don't know what you mean, but go for it." So, while Danimal, Mirage, borninok, DFX-Gregg, and Dimeman partake in conversation about forum issues, KirkPA stands up and proceeds, "Ahem, ahem, ahem....thank you for your attention, gentlemen and lady (winks at Mona), if you won't mind some KirkPA entertainment, I will further proceed to accompany you on a journey of laughter and fun. You up for it?" Some dude in the back, yells, "Oh, get a life!" Some dude in the middle, screams, "Give me a break!" Some dude in the front, states, "Please, sir, I would like to partake."

KirkPA further proceeds to the front of the lunchroom where other forum members are starting to fill in, but before he starts his act, he looks over at Jeff of PA, and asks, "Jeff, is it okay with you?" Jeff states back, "Just keep it within the lines of the forum rules."

KirkPA asks the Tnet members to please keep the chat to a whisper and begins his act. "A few of you dudes will like this one....audible KirkPA chuckle....'What does KirkPA + His Ego add up to? Simple, a Pro XL!'" A few hecklers from the back started to "Booooo." KirkPA looked at them and stated, "Hey, dudes, what is the easiest way to add a few inches? Huh? Huh? Huh? KirkPA was laughing super hard now. Just turn up your gain!" KirkPA supporters were on the floor laughing super hard and loud. One of them, stated, "You are a riot!" "I think this one will strike a chord in some of you dudes, but it is all in fun...'What is with dudes taking pills for ED? Booooo. Heck, a dollar hit is my Cialis.'" KirkPA supporters were laughing so hard, boogies started to come out of their nasal passages :o :D

KirkPA proceeded to take a drink of water and then decided to open up a pack of Strawberry blunt cigars. He lit one up and asked the audience, "Would anyone like one? Don't be shy!" Captn_SE raised his hand, kind of like a dude kid in school, and responded, "I would, Kirk!" I threw him one and he lit up and joined me in some KirkPA-like musing. :D

With Strawberry essence engulfing the Tnet Lunchroom, a few lurkers entered the room thinking that someone had just made muffins....upon their entrance, KirkPA looked at them and stated, "Dudes, care for a smoke?" One lurker responded back, "Darn, I thought I smelled muffins." KirkPA: "No, dude, it is my Strawberry flavored ci-gar. Sorry, but if you want to watch my Stand-up act, you need to sign up for a username and join the forum. Join the Treasurenet.com forum. It is cheap, easy, and fun." A forum moderator stated, "Thanks, Kirk, for that gesture."

While Captn was puffing smoke all over the room, I started back up again, "Captn, this one is for you...'What is in Captn_SE's closet? A White's!" KirkPA was on his back rolling on the ground in laughter...his ci-gar was still in his mouth and his water still in hand A few of the hecklers stood up and left the room...KirkPA then decided to end his act, "Dudes, thanks for your time. I hope you enjoyed it. If not, pardon my indecorous comedy act. Thank you, there is free metal detecting advice out on the forum at 1 p.m., so if you are interested, consult your daily forum guide." That was when all of the KirkPA supporters ran up to him and asked him for his autograph...Kirk signed some in haste, since he needed to head out to the forum boards.

Back to the metal detecting day...

PACO, zoy, and I headed out to the Colonial tavern site yesterday, since some of it was harvested. Since the farmer told us to check back in during the fall, we knocked on his door at 10 a.m., but no one answered. So, we decided to wait around for about an hour, but Mr. Farmer didn't show up. So, we decided to drive around the city for awhile and talk about our hobby. At 12, we knocked on his door again and it was soon answered....after some further dialogue, we were granted permission to detect the site. His wife even stated to us, in response to the fact that we are going to put together a display case for them, "You guys are the 1st to ever offer that. That is so nice of you." SEE...we do showcase ourselves with professionalism! :D

We geared up and walked about a half-mile into the field...it is a large field, but since zoy narrowed down the site, we were soon standing at the site of the Colonial tavern. We eyeballed thousands of pottery shards all over the place...about half the size of a football field. But, since most of the corn wasn't harvested, we could only detect at certain areas. In 30 seconds of time, zoyboy found half of a Colonial shoe buckle. Then, I started to find an assortment of Colonial but-tins....most of them are the size of a quarter. Since this place is littered with ferrous, we had to dig a lot of signals. We were, literally, yelling out, "Button!" almost every other minute. But, we had found NO coins yet! That seemed a little odd....we are thinking the site has been hunted or we have not found the actual location of the tavern yet...zoyboy even said, "Maybe we are at the dump now." After about 3 hours of detecting, we had found 20 buttons, 15 musketballs, and other relics. I found 7 buttons, a brass thimble, and 2 dropped musketballs.

Now, since the site is NOT fully harvested, we are going to be attacking it again and again and again. We will definitely find some coins and other relics, so it is a site worth focusing on. The site is massive, so I think we need to scout some more before we actually locate the yard of the tavern.

We were given exclusive permission to detect the site whenever we wanted...we also know where a homestead once stood back in the 1770s on their same property, so that site should produce some nice goodies.

*All relics were found on private property with total consent from the sweet landowners.

tavernsite008.jpg


Question: What is the object near zoy's shoe buckle? Is it part of a belt buckle? I found that in the ferrous-infested area.
 
Upvote 0
Re: An Orientation Day at the Wayside Tavern

Kirk,
All in all it sounds like your day was shining.
Glad you got out and nice to see you still at it.

Always fun to read your posts.
Thom
 
Re: An Orientation Day at the Wayside Tavern

Old Dog said:
Kirk,
All in all it sounds like your day was shining.
Glad you got out and nice to see you still at it.

Always fun to read your posts.
Thom

Thanks, bud, only KirkPA can have this much fun. :D Stay tuned-in for my future threads. We will find some coins at this site!
 
Re: An Orientation Day at the Wayside Tavern

;D

The specific area you hunted may have been a dump site as zoy said, but the buttons on such sites usually way outnumber the coins. Still odd that you found so many buttons and not a coin... The musketballs are a good sign that you're on the right spot. I think after the field is harvested you'll have your answer.

Now about the display case...this is a great idea. It is an excellent way to show gratitude and it gives the property owner something to hang on their wall and enjoy the history of the land they own. I think I will have to make this offer when trying to get permission for some CW sites I have been rasearching. Bravo!

NOW...cryptoKIRK, the pics??? ;)

I'm waiting, bud.


-Buckleboy
 
Re: An Orientation Day at the Wayside Tavern

BuckleBoy said:
;D

The specific area you hunted may have been a dump site as zoy said, but the buttons on such sites usually way outnumber the coins. Still odd that you found so many buttons and not a coin... The musketballs are a good sign that you're on the right spot. I think after the field is harvested you'll have your answer.

Now about the display case...this is a great idea. It is an excellent way to show gratitude and it gives the property owner something to hang on their wall and enjoy the history of the land they own. I think I will have to make this offer when trying to get permission for some CW sites I have been rasearching. Bravo!

NOW...cryptoKIRK, the pics??? ;)

I'm waiting, bud.


-Buckleboy

I will ask zoy to take some pics tonight...he said last night, "Kirk, it is only a damn button." hahaha

The public does view us in a good light! :D
 
Re: An Orientation Day at the Wayside Tavern

It's so nice to see younger folks so interested in history, stand up comedy, cafeterias and cigars. :D


Let me go get a muffin...




Ridley
 
Re: An Orientation Day at the Wayside Tavern

Ridley said:
It's so nice to see younger folks so interested in history, stand up comedy, cafeterias and cigars. :D


Let me go get a muffin...




Ridley

It was my cigar...LMAO! But, I bet Mona could make us some. ;) :D
 
Re: An Orientation Day at the Wayside Tavern

Wow that sounds like a promising site. I'm surprised at NO COINS from there. All those buttons is a great sign though. Just sit back, have a cigar, you're gonna ride the gravy train and find some coins next time out ;D
 
Re: An Orientation Day at the Wayside Tavern

Ed-NH said:
Wow that sounds like a promising site. I'm surprised at NO COINS from there. All those buttons is a great sign though. Just sit back, have a cigar, you're gonna ride the gravy train and find some coins next time out ;D

I am still thrilled about the site. The landowners are so sweet, so we are welcomed back. My goal is to pull a few coins out myself.

Yesterday was about 90 degrees, so it was difficult to concentrate after I ran out of water. LOL Next week is going to be cooler and hopefully he will harvest some more, so we should be able to focus more on the area.
 
Re: An Orientation Day at the Wayside Tavern

plehbah said:
"Only a damn button", is actually an early American artifact. I realize that buttons are plentiful on sites, and that the most often lack the glamour of coppers, however, they are still witness to an important period in our history, and as such, deserve to be treated with an accordant level of respect.

You dig it, you curate it.

I agree with you, bud. Buttons are fun to find, but I like the coins more.
 
Re: An Orientation Day at the Wayside Tavern

i too would like to see em....buttons are cool too....

the act needs work.... :) :) :) :)
 
Re: An Orientation Day at the Wayside Tavern

Green1 said:
i too would like to see em....buttons are cool too....

the act needs work.... :) :) :) :)

The hecklers got to me. At least I didn't explode like Mr. Richards did. :D
 
Re: An Orientation Day at the Wayside Tavern

Sounds like a rockin' site. Lessee pix of the buttons.
 
Re: An Orientation Day at the Wayside Tavern

Man I would love to hunt a site like that...but hunting it with your friends makes it that much more fun. I bet it isn't long before the coins start popping up. I am a coin person myself but it would be awesome to hunt for relics and buttons too.
 
Re: An Orientation Day at the Wayside Tavern

I agree with Kirk. The buttons are certainly fun to find but I like the coins a little better. I'm up to 45 buttons or so on the site I'm hunting now. I've only found 9 1/2 coins at the same site. What the heck is a half a coin you say? Check my latest post on the todays finds forum. Of these 9 1/2 coins 4 were IH's and the other 5 1/2 were large coppers.
Kirk, sounds like an awesome site you got there. Zoy is the research king. I hope you guys pull at least 50 colonial coins out of there. I wish you all the best of luck at that site. Keep the great finds coming.
 
Re: An Orientation Day at the Wayside Tavern

Evolution said:
I agree with Kirk. The buttons are certainly fun to find but I like the coins a little better. I'm up to 45 buttons or so on the site I'm hunting now. I've only found 9 1/2 coins at the same site. What the heck is a half a coin you say? Check my latest post on the todays finds forum. Of these 9 1/2 coins 4 were IH's and the other 5 1/2 were large coppers.
Kirk, sounds like an awesome site you got there. Zoy is the research king. I hope you guys pull at least 50 colonial coins out of there. I wish you all the best of luck at that site. Keep the great finds coming.

Thanks, bud, for the good luck wish. I hope we hit pay dirt soon. I will slave all fall for a coin at this site.

How was my comedy act? LMAO
 
Re: An Orientation Day at the Wayside Tavern

laralucine said:
Sounds like a rockin' site. Lessee pix of the buttons.

Thanks, one of the very few metal datectin' babes on Tnet, go get a coppa now! :)
 
Re: An Orientation Day at the Wayside Tavern

haha...man, I feel like I owe you 20 bucks for tickets or something.
 
Re: An Orientation Day at the Wayside Tavern

I actually liked it. The new avatar is great too. I'm not too much of a cigar nut but I've been known to knock back a few cold beers after a good hunt. I'm trying to picture that site in my head. Is it possible you guys could snap a few pics of the site without giving away the location? It sounds awesome.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom