What's new

An Orientation Day at the Wayside Tavern (Pic Added)

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2007
Messages
3,846
Reaction score
9
Golden Thread
0
Location
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Hey, dudes and dudettes, it has been awhile since the one and only KirkPA has posted a thread. But, before I get on to my thread-thready-threadster, I would like to take a step back from reality and put on a show for you loving people. :-* Hmmmm...you may be asking your in-tell-la-gent datectin' brains, "What does KirkPA have up his detecting sleeve?" In an obnoxious tribal shout, KirkPA bellows, "The 1st Stand-up act on Tnet!" So, sit back on your detecting butts...:D....and enjoy a super long laugh.

The place: Tnet Lunchroom. The time: Lunch time. The dudes and dudette attending: Captn_SE, Danimal, Mirage, Evolution, Dimeman, Jeff of PA (just in case I get "out of line" :D), Mona Lisa, borninok, zoyboy, DFX-Gregg, {Sentinel}, and numerous other forum members.

After a typical KirkPA lunch of beans and apple cider, he looks over at Captn_SE and whispers, "Hey, bud, you want to watch KirkPA in action?" In a whisper, SE states back, "I don't know what you mean, but go for it." So, while Danimal, Mirage, borninok, DFX-Gregg, and Dimeman partake in conversation about forum issues, KirkPA stands up and proceeds, "Ahem, ahem, ahem....thank you for your attention, gentlemen and lady (winks at Mona), if you won't mind some KirkPA entertainment, I will further proceed to accompany you on a journey of laughter and fun. You up for it?" Some dude in the back, yells, "Oh, get a life!" Some dude in the middle, screams, "Give me a break!" Some dude in the front, states, "Please, sir, I would like to partake."

KirkPA further proceeds to the front of the lunchroom where other forum members are starting to fill in, but before he starts his act, he looks over at Jeff of PA, and asks, "Jeff, is it okay with you?" Jeff states back, "Just keep it within the lines of the forum rules."

KirkPA asks the Tnet members to please keep the chat to a whisper and begins his act. "A few of you dudes will like this one....audible KirkPA chuckle....'What does KirkPA + His Ego add up to? Simple, a Pro XL!'" A few hecklers from the back started to "Booooo." KirkPA looked at them and stated, "Hey, dudes, what is the easiest way to add a few inches? Huh? Huh? Huh? KirkPA was laughing super hard now. Just turn up your gain!" KirkPA supporters were on the floor laughing super hard and loud. One of them, stated, "You are a riot!" "I think this one will strike a chord in some of you dudes, but it is all in fun...'What is with dudes taking pills for ED? Booooo. Heck, a dollar hit is my Cialis.'" KirkPA supporters were laughing so hard, boogies started to come out of their nasal passages :o :D

KirkPA proceeded to take a drink of water and then decided to open up a pack of Strawberry blunt cigars. He lit one up and asked the audience, "Would anyone like one? Don't be shy!" Captn_SE raised his hand, kind of like a dude kid in school, and responded, "I would, Kirk!" I threw him one and he lit up and joined me in some KirkPA-like musing. :D

With Strawberry essence engulfing the Tnet Lunchroom, a few lurkers entered the room thinking that someone had just made muffins....upon their entrance, KirkPA looked at them and stated, "Dudes, care for a smoke?" One lurker responded back, "Darn, I thought I smelled muffins." KirkPA: "No, dude, it is my Strawberry flavored ci-gar. Sorry, but if you want to watch my Stand-up act, you need to sign up for a username and join the forum. Join the Treasurenet.com forum. It is cheap, easy, and fun." A forum moderator stated, "Thanks, Kirk, for that gesture."

While Captn was puffing smoke all over the room, I started back up again, "Captn, this one is for you...'What is in Captn_SE's closet? A White's!" KirkPA was on his back rolling on the ground in laughter...his ci-gar was still in his mouth and his water still in hand A few of the hecklers stood up and left the room...KirkPA then decided to end his act, "Dudes, thanks for your time. I hope you enjoyed it. If not, pardon my indecorous comedy act. Thank you, there is free metal detecting advice out on the forum at 1 p.m., so if you are interested, consult your daily forum guide." That was when all of the KirkPA supporters ran up to him and asked him for his autograph...Kirk signed some in haste, since he needed to head out to the forum boards.

Back to the metal detecting day...

PACO, zoy, and I headed out to the Colonial tavern site yesterday, since some of it was harvested. Since the farmer told us to check back in during the fall, we knocked on his door at 10 a.m., but no one answered. So, we decided to wait around for about an hour, but Mr. Farmer didn't show up. So, we decided to drive around the city for awhile and talk about our hobby. At 12, we knocked on his door again and it was soon answered....after some further dialogue, we were granted permission to detect the site. His wife even stated to us, in response to the fact that we are going to put together a display case for them, "You guys are the 1st to ever offer that. That is so nice of you." SEE...we do showcase ourselves with professionalism! :D

We geared up and walked about a half-mile into the field...it is a large field, but since zoy narrowed down the site, we were soon standing at the site of the Colonial tavern. We eyeballed thousands of pottery shards all over the place...about half the size of a football field. But, since most of the corn wasn't harvested, we could only detect at certain areas. In 30 seconds of time, zoyboy found half of a Colonial shoe buckle. Then, I started to find an assortment of Colonial but-tins....most of them are the size of a quarter. Since this place is littered with ferrous, we had to dig a lot of signals. We were, literally, yelling out, "Button!" almost every other minute. But, we had found NO coins yet! That seemed a little odd....we are thinking the site has been hunted or we have not found the actual location of the tavern yet...zoyboy even said, "Maybe we are at the dump now." After about 3 hours of detecting, we had found 20 buttons, 15 musketballs, and other relics. I found 7 buttons, a brass thimble, and 2 dropped musketballs.

Now, since the site is NOT fully harvested, we are going to be attacking it again and again and again. We will definitely find some coins and other relics, so it is a site worth focusing on. The site is massive, so I think we need to scout some more before we actually locate the yard of the tavern.

We were given exclusive permission to detect the site whenever we wanted...we also know where a homestead once stood back in the 1770s on their same property, so that site should produce some nice goodies.

*All relics were found on private property with total consent from the sweet landowners.

tavernsite008.jpg


Question: What is the object near zoy's shoe buckle? Is it part of a belt buckle? I found that in the ferrous-infested area.
 
Upvote 0
90 degrees is perfect for sitting inside a well air conditioned house. ;D Nate and I were out Sunday and it was bad(hot). I was complaining but he wanted to stay out and detect. Ahh, the folly of youth. ;)

The site looks promising. Good luck.
 
Mirage said:
90 degrees is perfect for sitting inside a well air conditioned house. ;D Nate and I were out Sunday and it was bad(hot). I was complaining but he wanted to stay out and detect. Ahh, the folly of youth. ;)

The site looks promising. Good luck.

We will probably get some nice coins from the site, considering that we know where a pioneer of the valley settled in the adjacent field. Supposedly, he settled on the location in the 1780s and the dwelling was still being inhabited in the 1870s.

zoyster
 
Sounds like an awesome site Kirk,Gotta be some coins there somewere ! Hope ya hit some wold wilver soon ! The display case idea is a good one.I was going to make some up awile back and was thinking it would be nice to have an old photo of the area as a background for your display.oooooor... you could make one up with one of your avatar pic's for a background ! ;D
 
;D ;D ;D Kirk, you have a great sense of humor!!! Keep digging that field, and you will get your coins and more great relics. I really enjoyed your post! ;D ;D ;D Mosey
 
Kirk...I have a free ticket anywhere I have to use within a year. You might have to watch over your shoulder next time you head for that site ::)
 
Quote from: Mona Lisa on Oct 08, 2007, 09:15:03 PM
Kirk....you're a fruit loop. Do we get to hunt with you in this far fetched fantasy of yours? Or do we just get to smoke Cee-gars and eat Muf-fins?

Nice selection of But-tins. The coins will come.
I will puff a cigar with you, if you bake the muffins. LOL So, put the apron on, and shuffle into the kitchen. hahaha

Here's your froggin' muffins, Kirky! >:( >:(

Kirky\'smuffins.gif​
 
rtde3 said:
Kirk, that was just Zaney Bro! ;D BTW try the wild berry flavor cigars by backwoods, talk about muffins... Anyway, cool site! I know we will be reading about the K.P. gang's finds from this place all fall long. Very cool that the owners will let you hit that place when ever you want. And good idea to take care of them with a display case. I would like to see some of the pottery shards & other stuff you guys find there. I gives us the whole picture/snapshot of the day's hunt. That's why I always show the plate shards, bottles, teeth & other stuff I find along with the good stuff. So even though you see them & think trash, I think it would be cool to see the bad stuff with the good. And maybe we could learn to "read" pottery like Zoyboy was saying about the glazing by showing us glazed & nonglazed pieces.
I also thought that thing was an old lock plate, but not 1700 & 1800's old??
This songs for you!
[youtube=425,350]8n9FdoCUHBE[/youtube]

I will get some pics of the different pottery shards. Some are very decorative with flowery designs.

I bet it was the lock plate to the tavern door. LOL That is a cool relic, if that is what it turns out to be.

HH, bud, at the Pit!
 
Yeah I'd be interested in seeing the pottery shards. You might be able to turn them into something useful--or if nothing else a neat display.

-Buckleboy
 
Any pics of the pottery? You all hunting this site again this weekend? If so, best of luck.

Pssst--go towards water and ye shall find ;)


Buckleboy
 
BuckleBoy said:
Any pics of the pottery? You all hunting this site again this weekend? If so, best of luck.

Pssst--go towards water and ye shall find ;)


Buckleboy

Will, we will be heading back this Sundee. I will take some pics of the site and pick up some pot-ree for the forum. I think we will be scouting some more!
 
AWESOME Kirk!!
Nice CW stuff, Dude!!
I haven't found and CW relics yet!! Soon I will, just maybe one of these days

The Geckokid
 
geckokid said:
AWESOME Kirk!!
Nice CW stuff, Dude!!
I haven't found and CW relics yet!! Soon I will, just maybe one of these days

The Geckokid

Thanks, bud kid, but you are off by 100 years; these relics are from the late 1700s to early 1800s.
Bud kid, I wish you the best of luck in getting that Tesora.
 
Dude you may have a future in stand up, I was thinking which I liked the most your finds or the act. Both were great! Good luck at the site. Tim
 
I think you are onto a very promising site. I also think you are in an area that served as a dump. Could have been just for the tavern or could have been for part of the community and the tavern. Your pottery shards hold much more information than you might think. It is not just the glaze but the thickness and the colors and patterns that tell you things about the age and origin. If many of them have designs, I would save them for the display case. They make nice "filler" material and add some color and texture to the items. Post some pictures and we'll tell you what we know.

Something I learned about buttons in a field may be of interest. I have no source to back this up. It is just what many people think. Could be a myth like the medicine bullets. Just don't know. Anyway, many people in the UK believe that the farmers plowed discarded clothing into the soil to improve it. It was a good organic material and would decompose pretty quick. It explains why there are so many buttons is so many fields. So the buttons and the pottery may not be related. Buttons would be everywhere and the pottery just in an old dump site. So you are on a good site as far as age goes but I don't think you are at the tavern yet.

I, too, believe the metal object is a door striker plate and not that old. If you look at the holes on either end, they are tapered to match the taper in a screw. I don't know when tapered screws were first used but that would give you a maximum age of the piece. Maybe they had tapered screws in the 1700's. I am sure somebody on the forum knows and can shed some light on it.

Try using Goggle Earth to look at the site. If the flyover was at the right time, you can sometimes make out dark areas in the soil or an outline of a foundation. This is a good indication that a building was once there. It will give you Lat/Lon for the place and you can walk right to it.

Keep swinging in that field. It will pay off.

Daryl
 
BioProfessor said:
I think you are onto a very promising site. I also think you are in an area that served as a dump. Could have been just for the tavern or could have been for part of the community and the tavern. Your pottery shards hold much more information than you might think. It is not just the glaze but the thickness and the colors and patterns that tell you things about the age and origin. If many of them have designs, I would save them for the display case. They make nice "filler" material and add some color and texture to the items. Post some pictures and we'll tell you what we know.

Something I learned about buttons in a field may be of interest. I have no source to back this up. It is just what many people think. Could be a myth like the medicine bullets. Just don't know. Anyway, many people in the UK believe that the farmers plowed discarded clothing into the soil to improve it. It was a good organic material and would decompose pretty quick. It explains why there are so many buttons is so many fields. So the buttons and the pottery may not be related. Buttons would be everywhere and the pottery just in an old dump site. So you are on a good site as far as age goes but I don't think you are at the tavern yet.

I, too, believe the metal object is a door striker plate and not that old. If you look at the holes on either end, they are tapered to match the taper in a screw. I don't know when tapered screws were first used but that would give you a maximum age of the piece. Maybe they had tapered screws in the 1700's. I am sure somebody on the forum knows and can shed some light on it.

Try using Goggle Earth to look at the site. If the flyover was at the right time, you can sometimes make out dark areas in the soil or an outline of a foundation. This is a good indication that a building was once there. It will give you Lat/Lon for the place and you can walk right to it.

Keep swinging in that field. It will pay off.

Daryl

Thanks for the info, Daryl. It was very informative.

Here is some info about the tavern: we have narrowed the location of the tavern exactly...we studied maps and there is an indicator that gives it away. I owe it ALL to zoyboy. He really did some great ra-search on this site. Anyways, we have read accounts from the late 1780s up until 1800. I think that we need to focus in this pottery shard area for a little bit and then work our way in different directions. PACO is going to head to the water source a little further, zoy will work one side of the dump area, and I will work the area on the other side. The tavern yard may only be about 50 yards away from the acutal dump.

I just think we found TOO many great indicators, so it may be virgin. Most of the readings were 50-75 VDIs, so that points to the fact that maybe it wasn't hit before or just "cherrypicked."
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom