Ancient coin finally found something really good… I think.

May 8, 2023

Attachments

• IMG_3275.jpeg
    IMG_3275.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 157
  • IMG_3277.jpeg
    IMG_3277.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 136
Upvote 13
OP
OP
NHmetaldetectrelichunter
May 8, 2023
Flat button....Gilt is probably part of a backmark. I see where the shank broke off.
I’ve found several buttons man, this is not a button. There is no solder mark in the center and it is completely flat with zero texture where there would be a solder Mark I can show you examples of 1700s buttons with solder marks in the middle if you want to see them.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't doubt you....just saying what it looks like from my seat. There's nothing like having it in the hand. Hope you figure it out.

Urien of Rheged

Mar 7, 2024
Can't be a button.....he is an expert :BangHead:
I'm not an expert by any stretch but I know a button when I see a button.

If by a one in a gozillian chance it does turn out to be a coin its certainly not hammered and the lettering would be late 18th century at the earliest

Last edited:
OP
OP
NHmetaldetectrelichunter
May 8, 2023
I'm not an expert by any stretch but I know a button when I see a button.

If by a one in a gozillian chance it does turn out to be a coin its certainly not hammered and the lettering would be late 18th century at the earliest
I will keep you all updated. I do know a man who owns a coin store in is an “expert “. I can only tell you that I have found all kinds of buttons, look at my profile picture. I know 1700s flat buttons normally when I see them. I did not claim to be an expert but please do look at my post history and compare this to any of the buttons i have ever photographed.

Fentonian

Apr 18, 2021
Ohio
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will keep you all updated. I do know a man who owns a coin store in is an “expert “. I can only tell you that I have found all kinds of buttons, look at my profile picture. I know 1700s flat buttons normally when I see them. I did not claim to be an expert but please do look at my post history and compare this to any of the buttons i have ever photographed.
It’s not any type of 1700s button, it’s early-mid 1800s, hard to be more specific without the shank.

Urien of Rheged

Mar 7, 2024
As a fellow enthusiast i really do hope I end up eating some humble pie (anonymously eating it makes it taste much nicer) though after saying that id maybe start wondering about a few "buttons" I may have scrapped myself. 😬

But really I hope you're right but even if that turns out to be the case. It's copper, it's not hammered. So it can't be that impressive or ancient.
And if it really isnt a button as you insist perhaps it's some kind of token?

Fentonian

Apr 18, 2021
Ohio
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can clearly see the word “gilt”. About bet the farm that if you clean 180 degrees from the you will find lettering and probably the word “standard “

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely, without a doubt, a flat button from the first half of the 19th century.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I thought button also. Please keep us posted as you learn more about it. Either way: coin or button, a very nice find.👍🏼

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread