Another adventure!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently completed a cross-country drive. In the Dodge dually/camper, pulling my Jeep. My first stop/destination was Hixton, WI. My cousin Allen lives there. It also happens to be the location of a rock formation called SILVER MOUND.
DSC02355.JPG

The logical starting point to visit the mound is the KOA campground at its base. The caretakers are John and Debbie (Bierback?).
DSC02356.JPG

Arrowheads and "lithic (stone) points from this location have been found as far away as KY.
Here are a few points made by modern day "flint knappers"
DSC02372.JPG
DSC02371.JPG

A fellow named Dyier carved his name into the main "shelter" in 1919
DSC02369.JPG

Here is a large piece of what the indians were looking for... HIXTON SILICIFIED SANDSTONE.

John told me to check with a local farmer, Darren, to collect some of this sandstone from his farm field.
DSC02380.JPG

But no points found this trip.... POOH!

There is a "kapping event" here at this KOA on the second weekend of October.

I also visited Roger Turner in VA. You know him as DEEPSEEKER ADS. $900 out and $1000 back for diesel. Throw in $5400 for a transmission and you have a costly trip! I also visited people in MI and AL.

Stay tuned for the NEXT adventure!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I recently completed a cross-country drive. In the Dodge dually/camper, pulling my Jeep. My first stop/destination was Hixton, WI. My cousin Allen lives there. It also happens to be the location of a rock formation called SILVER MOUND.
View attachment 2030608

The logical starting point to visit the mound is the KOA campground at its base. The caretakers are John and Debbie (Bierback?).
View attachment 2030611

Arrowheads and "lithic (stone) points from this location have been found as far away as KY.
Here are a few points made by modern day "flint knappers"
View attachment 2030612 View attachment 2030613

A fellow named Dyier carved his name into the main "shelter" in 1919
View attachment 2030616

Here is a large piece of what the indians were looking for... HIXTON SILICIFIED SANDSTONE.

John told me to check with a local farmer, Darren, to collect some of this sandstone from his farm field.
View attachment 2030620
But no points found this trip.... POOH!

There is a "kapping event" here at this KOA on the second weekend of October.

I also visited Roger Turner in VA. You know him as DEEPSEEKER ADS. $900 out and $1000 back for diesel. Throw in $5400 for a transmission and you have a costly trip! I also visited people in MI and AL.

Stay tuned for the NEXT adventure!

Didn't know you were passing through....Or I'd have looked for where and maybe a how for a howdy..

Great travels anyways!
And it's good you met up with Rog..

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Didn't know you were passing through....Or I'd have looked for where and maybe a how for a howdy..

Great travels anyways!
And it's good you met up with Rog..
I had no idea of what my itinerary would be so I waited until done to post. Sorry, it would have been nice to meet n greet you.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I had no idea of what my itinerary would be so I waited until done to post. Sorry, it would have been nice to meet n greet you.
No sorry.
You were busy enough!

Nice to not be tied in to a planned every minute and destination ride too.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to see you out and about, TerryC. I'll be up north of Moab tomorrow. Honk twice if you drive by.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good to see you out and about, TerryC. I'll be up north of Moab tomorrow. Honk twice if you drive by.
I am seriously considering Ten Sleep for the hotter summer months. If/when I do, I'll look you up on my way! ╦╦C

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry Thank You For this great post with great detail

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let me just say, my stroke woke me up to my mortality. It did NOT slow me down......much. Tnx, my friend. ╦╦C

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread