Another Day of Colonial?? Finds...Massachusetts

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• Small Haul.JPG
    Small Haul.JPG
    470.1 KB · Views: 149
  • Decorative Button2.JPG
    Decorative Button2.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 159
  • Boker Knife and Holy Spoon.JPG
    Boker Knife and Holy Spoon.JPG
    398.5 KB · Views: 136
  • Boker Knife and Holy Spoon - Back.JPG
    Boker Knife and Holy Spoon - Back.JPG
    361.8 KB · Views: 145
  • Little Brass Buckle.JPG
    Little Brass Buckle.JPG
    383.1 KB · Views: 136
  • Spoons, spoons, and more spoons!.JPG
    Spoons, spoons, and more spoons!.JPG
    448.5 KB · Views: 141
  • Giant Spoons.JPG
    Giant Spoons.JPG
    422.8 KB · Views: 150
  • Stuff.JPG
    Stuff.JPG
    284.9 KB · Views: 145
Upvote 12

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool finds! :occasion14:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The round circle thing is a reins guide from a wagon. The threaded post is broken off.

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool, thanks, Steve! ~L&D

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haha, Tuberale! You're right. There's no getting that thing open. ;-) ~L&D

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Steve bet me to it. That's one guy you need to keep an eye on - he has Jedi powers with old silver....

The buckle looks like horse tack, and the two spoons look like 18th C. The initialed piece is a hallmark you should try and look up.

Nice finds. I can't imagine what else is under that soil.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; That Button is sweet; It's a One Piece Button. 1700's. Great design on it. It may be a good Dandy Button or it may be important. Fancy designs were usually worn by the Wealthy or Famous People ok. This one is very ornate. Is there any writing on the back. Plese Post a Picture of the back as well ok. PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Scrappy. Seems like we'll be horse equipment experts by the time we're through with detecting the property! -L&D
Steve bet me to it. That's one guy you need to keep an eye on - he has Jedi powers with old silver....

The buckle looks like horse tack, and the two spoons look like 18th C. The initialed piece is a hallmark you should try and look up.

Nice finds. I can't imagine what else is under that soil.

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ron, thanks for your response. That is the seventh or eighth gilded button we've found on the site. I think a couple of them might even match. Tomorrow I'll post a group photo, front and back. Would love to learn more about these beauties. The guy who built the house back in 1683 was indeed wealthy. However, at one time the property was a tavern, centuries ago, so the buttons potentially could have belonged to anyone. -L&D

Hi; That Button is sweet; It's a One Piece Button. 1700's. Great design on it. It may be a good Dandy Button or it may be important. Fancy designs were usually worn by the Wealthy or Famous People ok. This one is very ornate. Is there any writing on the back. Plese Post a Picture of the back as well ok. PEACE:RONB

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another great hunt..what a week you are having! I especially like the "diet" spoon! Lol...keep up the excellent work! Ddf

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
appears you'ze just gittin' started, pretty much dig it all, big iron should be on the menu for horse shoes, hinges, big ol' spikes, all collectible. buttons, buckles, bullets, copper & brass, add 'em up -------- and the coins will be just an added bonus. go forth and dig ye olden relics

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the pottery pieces are early also - I try and pick them up also - especially if they are 1700s or before - they go good in a colonial display
and they are still relics them selves
lot of the large design "dandy" buttons were supposedly done by the Dutch out of NY

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent relic hunt! :occasion14:

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; Nice finds. Thing is that if We know of any writing on the backs then you can track down who made them. From that you can Date them and possibly even find out who ordered them made thus being able to attribute them to a specific person. Yes those Records still exist in about 1/2 of the cases ok.Now THAT would be cool. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; Nice finds. Thing is that if We know of any writing on the backs then you can track down who made them. From that you can Date them and possibly even find out who ordered them made thus being able to attribute them to a specific person. Yes those Records still exist in about 1/2 of the cases ok.Now THAT would be cool. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB

PS: I just took a second look at it. There appears to be the Letters, T,R at the 1:00 Position and a few more at about the 2:00 Position as well. Very faint ok. PEACE:RONB

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're definitely right in the middle of a load of 18th (and possibly late 17th based on the site history) relics. The pewter spools are likely from the mid-to early 1700's. Enjoy-you have quite a special site there.

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All nice finds! I agree with Steve on the reigns guide ID. The spoons look like the lead or pewter variety that were late 16 or early 1700s.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions