Another Shipwreck search tool (revisited)

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a nice tool,but you need a driver to drag you around,plus you are SHARK BAIT!

This one is much bette,r launch it off the beach or your boat dive platform,made with 80lb thrust trolling motors plus has a area for your scuba tank.

I design and build DPV's ill be building one similar to this model over the winter

OP
OP
C

Charles,Oak Island

all my years of diving both civilian and military I have never heard of a diver being snatched off one by a shark. With 4 of us on the boat I see no problem finding some one to operate the vessel(s)

gsmeiers

Nov 25, 2004
Appleton, WI
Looks pretty cool Charles. I'd add a GPS unit to the rig. I'm fairly confident that GPS units don't work underwater... However, if you had an antenna that was on a float that stayed above water... It'd be real easy to "mark" your waypoint when you found something you wanted to check out later.

How fast can one of these sleds go??? Stability wise?

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the DPV you posted; it looks very similar to the one I have been seeing called the hydrospeeder. Have you started on this project yet?

OP
OP
C

Charles,Oak Island

Haven't started on it yet. It's bad you retire to have more time to dive and search and for some reason the small part time business you started several years ago takes up most of your time. This winter I seem to be spending 2 to 3 days a week in the water working on boats and the other couple of days repairing the drysuites to get back in the water. Well after the holidays things are going to change and I'm going to be doing more important things.........MDing.........diving for fun.... searching....diving for fun.....MDing.......fishing.....Diving for fun......searching you know the things guys have to do ...

OP
OP
C

Charles,Oak Island

I have seen some like Sea scanner (figure 14 in the plains) on ebay from time to time. I would like one with a small plexi glass windshield. Something else I was thinking of. Since boat to tow communications will be expensive I was thinking of "traffic light communications" Something a long the lines of a 3 way toggle switch water proofed ( have done several for U/W lights) Power line ran up the tow cable. On board a small panel with Red and Green lights. Diver hits switch to signal go or stop. Easy to move from boat to boat.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont think the hydrospeeder is being made anymore,thier web site is gone.right now. im just getting parts for the one im making,but im also building a ROV i have everything i need to build it,just have to find some time to put it all together,the frame is done so far,but i have a 26 foot ocean boat im working on plus a 20 foot mini Rv,the RV will come in handy for all those trips to the beaches,i will be able to stay as long as i want,in any kind of weather,even hurricanes ;Dshould i paint it black or camo?

OP
OP
C

Charles,Oak Island

lets hope it's as simple as it looks. I'll start on one as soon as we get past the holidays.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think one could modify a DPV (like the one Fisheye pictured), with a quick release (similar to those used in gliders). The DPV pilot could then fly the DPV using the concept described in the documents that Charles posted. The DPV can be maneuvered in the pitch and roll axis while under tow ((similar to the two axis control system used on my Weedhopper ultralight). The only control surfaces on that are the rudder and elevator). Charles idea of some type of Christmas tree lighting system would be ideal and cost effective. This way the boat can be stopped or slowed to create some slack in the line prior to release, also keeping the recovery boat on station (this will be important to the DPV pilot). The DPV pilot just has to pull the handle to disconnect the line from the Recovery/Tow vessel to investigate any possible wreckage sighted on the bottom. This would also allow the DPV more bottom time, as you would not be using the motors and batteries until you disconnect from the tow vessel.
Now we just need to install a magnetometer under the DPV, and we can do two searches on each leg of the search grid. Should the magnetometer register a hit, the recovery vessel can come to a full stop, allowing the DPV pilot to remain tethered to the boat and attempt to pin point the source of the mag hit.

Merry Christmas

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charles, you have some experience with magnetometers, would a Mag mounted under a DPV cause interference with the effective operation of the mag?

OP
OP
C

Charles,Oak Island

I don't see why you couldn't as long as there is no ferrous metal close for it to bang off of. There is a company (I'll see if I can find their web site again) that builds a hand held magnetometer for underwater use by diver's.

OP
OP
C

Charles,Oak Island

I think there is another company they only make a towed mag and a hand helded mag.

OP
OP
C

Charles,Oak Island

Darren, thats the one thanks now I can get out side and work on that bushel of oysters. ;D

Darren has posted the web site for the hand held mag. in above post..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread