Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Well we finally got out digging after two weeks of nonstop rain here. There is no point in hunting when it rains that much here in Southern Louisiana. I have never seen worse mud in my life. Not what you'd want to break an ankle in. In spite of several days of dry weather, the mud still came close to doing us in today, as you'll see in the video.

At any rate, we got out and Shanegalang walked right up on a Spanish silver just laying right on top of the ground where it had washed out in the heavy rains! It turned out to be a silver-plated counterfeit half real. :headbang:

HPIM3829.JPG

After Shanegalang picked up a couple more finds, including a 1905 V Nickel and nice watch winder, we took a break. Then we ate fantastic seafood for lunch, and we then headed out on a little scouting mission to find the next site to occupy our time for a couple months. ;)

Using top secret, time-proven CaneField Bandit Techniques including map dowsing and telepathy, we managed to locate a site. :laughing7: We came upon a giant brick patch with pottery and all the goodies. Neither one of us had our detectors, and we were a mile away from the truck. I eyeballed a nickel right on top of the ground. Just a fluke that I saw it in all the cane stubble. I wanted to wait till I got back to check it out (hoping it wouldn't be a Jefferson or Buff...or even a V!). So we slogged back through the mud and I cleaned the nickel off a bit to see what it was. It was a Shield Nickel in great shape, which gave me hope for an antebellum site (which, let's face it, is the only type of site I am interested in digging).

We hit the site hard, doing 8 cane rows out of about 100. This took 3.5 hours, since we walked about a half mile on each row--and never got out of the iron patch in the debris field I might add! So this is a large site, which should be great for us. I am always very thankful to find each an Every site in terrain that stretches out endlessly and totally flat in all directions.

HPIM3852.JPG

We took a break to check out some spanish moss covered trees:

HPIM3848.JPG

The new spot gave up her treasures slowly. A Flat button. A mid-19th century brass padlock.

Then on the last row of the day, and almost at dark, I got two great keepers. 8-)

HPIM3853.JPG

HPIM3856.JPG

Here's a video of the hunt, complete with close-up photos of the finds:

We're working on the massive photo-op that has to take place to get our 2012 year-end post up and running. We'll get it posted soon.

In the meantime, Happy 2013 Y'all! :thumbsup:

-The CaneField Bandits

Cane Bandits.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 9
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds guys!
I think that I would be most excited with an iron spread of such a large area. Must have been multiple building sites and trash pits.
Finds will be surfacing for years to come. With that kind of muddy condition you can only scratch the surface.
I know all about mud and mosquitoes! Probably have it a little worse than you but as for now, it's a frozen solid wasteland!
Looking forward to see what else will come out of that site.
Cheers,
Dave.

Dave,

Great to hear from you. I figure we'll work this one out for several months, then we need to find a site in "Year Three" of the sugar cane cycle and we'll be able to hunt year-round for 10 more years without having to find a new site. Once the finds dwindle down, it'll be time to ask the owners if we can dig the trash pits out. :)

Best Wishes,

Buck

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"Shane was a lil' off on which machine was gonna find it all.lol."
The battery went dead in my Cibola so i had to get the crappy Cortes out :( lol Wait until next time!! And lesson learned..........carry a spare. Quindy, thanks for the good eye :)
Shane, it was Doug who originally noticed the landmark. I just reminded Will of it every time we talked since we returned from Louisiana that you guys really needed to check that field. That spot should hold you guys into late spring at least. As Will knows, there are 2 other landmark areas you two definitely need to scout too. Do you remember that pic i made of Will, you, & Doug in the muddy cane field the day you dug the bullet mold? You may very well see that one again on a magazine cover in the upcoming months so I was told. HH guys, Q.
Don't forget that virgin CS camp to save for us-LOL.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New spots are always exciting. I hope you guys get some nice New Orleans seated and some nice military buttons out of that spot. Those half reals look like they were used right up until they were outlawed in 1857, then thrown away ??? (that's a joke - no one would ever throw silver away). I guess it's no coincidence that half cents went away in 1857 at the same time as Spanish silver, since one real was worth 12.5 cents.

BTW, I for one, will not criticize someone for rubbing a worn Spanish silver in the field. They are cool to find, but even the nicer ones aren't worth much.

Last edited:

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Once again... Outstanding! I have hunted in Tennessee during the rainy season and had to go to car wash to get the mud off my boots.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Impressive finds in that "Mumbo Gumbo" mud!!

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
excellent video, great finds!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New spots are always exciting. I hope you guys get some nice New Orleans seated and some nice military buttons out of that spot. Those half reals look like they were used right up until they were outlawed in 1857, then thrown away ??? (that's a joke - no one would ever throw silver away). I guess it's no coincidence that half cents went away in 1857 at the same time as Spanish silver, since one real was worth 12.5 cents.

BTW, I for one, will not criticize someone for rubbing a worn Spanish silver in the field. They are cool to find, but even the nicer ones aren't worth much.

I am hoping for some military too. It seems like the antebellum sites and military relics go hand in hand, and I'd be surprised if there weren't something military or militia related there to find.

Impressive finds in that "Mumbo Gumbo" mud!!

Yeah, that was a dark roux mud haha!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys are getting so good that you don't even need a detector to find the colonial silver. That's pretty impressive! And congrats on landing yourself on what looks like a site that will be productive for weeks to come. That's always a good feeling to have something like that in your back pocket. Great research and hunt guys!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys are getting so good that you don't even need a detector to find the colonial silver. That's pretty impressive! And congrats on landing yourself on what looks like a site that will be productive for weeks to come. That's always a good feeling to have something like that in your back pocket. Great research and hunt guys!

Bill, great to hear from you. I want to thank you for your help and tips in finding the trash pits on sites. I don't know how deep the trash pits were down here, and I'm hoping that with the low elevation they were still deep enough that they were well below the plow depth. If that is the case, then there will be great finds made once we enter that stage of the journey. I have located the trash pits on two of our sites now in no small part due to your helpful advice, and I'm just waiting for until we clear most of the targets through several plowings before we ask the farmers if we can do this.

Best Wishes,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the new spot. Looks like it is gonna be a good one. Hope you reach twenty spanish silvers before the heat gets to ya. Love it when ya say ya'll. Sounds like you still have some kentucky still in ya. Great finds shane and BB.

Kentucky never left entirely. I heard that accent come through the first time I said it, then decided it'd be the catch phrase of the video, and mentioned in the post too. LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread