Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Well we finally got out digging after two weeks of nonstop rain here. There is no point in hunting when it rains that much here in Southern Louisiana. I have never seen worse mud in my life. Not what you'd want to break an ankle in. In spite of several days of dry weather, the mud still came close to doing us in today, as you'll see in the video.

At any rate, we got out and Shanegalang walked right up on a Spanish silver just laying right on top of the ground where it had washed out in the heavy rains! It turned out to be a silver-plated counterfeit half real. :headbang:

HPIM3829.JPG

After Shanegalang picked up a couple more finds, including a 1905 V Nickel and nice watch winder, we took a break. Then we ate fantastic seafood for lunch, and we then headed out on a little scouting mission to find the next site to occupy our time for a couple months. ;)

Using top secret, time-proven CaneField Bandit Techniques including map dowsing and telepathy, we managed to locate a site. :laughing7: We came upon a giant brick patch with pottery and all the goodies. Neither one of us had our detectors, and we were a mile away from the truck. I eyeballed a nickel right on top of the ground. Just a fluke that I saw it in all the cane stubble. I wanted to wait till I got back to check it out (hoping it wouldn't be a Jefferson or Buff...or even a V!). So we slogged back through the mud and I cleaned the nickel off a bit to see what it was. It was a Shield Nickel in great shape, which gave me hope for an antebellum site (which, let's face it, is the only type of site I am interested in digging).

We hit the site hard, doing 8 cane rows out of about 100. This took 3.5 hours, since we walked about a half mile on each row--and never got out of the iron patch in the debris field I might add! So this is a large site, which should be great for us. I am always very thankful to find each an Every site in terrain that stretches out endlessly and totally flat in all directions.

HPIM3852.JPG

We took a break to check out some spanish moss covered trees:

HPIM3848.JPG

The new spot gave up her treasures slowly. A Flat button. A mid-19th century brass padlock.

Then on the last row of the day, and almost at dark, I got two great keepers. 8-)

HPIM3853.JPG

HPIM3856.JPG

Here's a video of the hunt, complete with close-up photos of the finds:

We're working on the massive photo-op that has to take place to get our 2012 year-end post up and running. We'll get it posted soon.

In the meantime, Happy 2013 Y'all! :thumbsup:

-The CaneField Bandits

Cane Bandits.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 9

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE HUNT - NICE FINDS
tumblr_lmkrc42nWZ1qfoc0w.gif

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BuckleBoy&Shanegalang
you guys find some very cool stuff....you keep this frozen in Yankee wanting to get out and hunt,your top secret techniques are working great...can`t wait to see what you find when you get there with your detectors....i can`t see to video yet ....but waiting.
Gary

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy&Shanegalang
you guys find some very cool stuff....you keep this frozen in Yankee wanting to get out and hunt,your top secret techniques are working great...can`t wait to see what you find when you get there with your detectors....i can`t see to video yet ....but waiting.
Gary

Potomac Gary,

Thanks for the kind words. The hunting season here is all year long, if you don't mind the stinking sucking mud, mosquito swarms, and 110 degree heat. Many times I'm much rather be snowed in for the winter than close to heat stroke in the summertime. Hard to believe I once thought the Kentucky summers were hot. :D

At any rate, the video is now Live.

Best Wishes,

Buck

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your off to a great start this year, we are doing the tortoise race at the moment:laughing7:

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds in horrible conditions. You and Shanegalang are hardcore detectorists and I love it!!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think I recognize that spot-LOL. You were wanting a new location where no man had hunted before and I think you have found it. I have high hopes for that spot. Three Spanish to start up the year is great. WTG, Q.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2013 is startin where 2012 left off with SILVER linings BB!!! You can tell a big change in your voice from the button to the silvers.lol. That new site looks like it should be a good one for the BANDITS.. To many of us a shield nick would b a great and you guys make it look like a walk in the park findin them on the surface. I personally wood b tickled to find the pipe stems. lol. GREAT video as always. Shane was a lil' off on which machine was gonna find it all.lol. Well your off and runnin for the new year so the BEST of luck to you all. Can't wait to see whats NEXT... CONGRATS.. HH

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
"Shane was a lil' off on which machine was gonna find it all.lol."
The battery went dead in my Cibola so i had to get the crappy Cortes out :( lol Wait until next time!! And lesson learned..........carry a spare. Quindy, thanks for the good eye :)

hdmech71

Jan 25, 2012
wv
Detector(s) used
F75 se / Minelab Soveriogn / sunray probe/ whites classic Id/ pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the new spot. Looks like it is gonna be a good one. Hope you reach twenty spanish silvers before the heat gets to ya. Love it when ya say ya'll. Sounds like you still have some kentucky still in ya. Great finds shane and BB.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Cograts on the new site. Looks like you will be pulling finds from there for a long time. 8-)

Did you get a date off the shield?

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice vid! That Spanish silver is where it is at!!

ilyes1113

Sep 3, 2008
constantina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
cscope x3.fisher f5.garrett2500+eagle aye.ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice coins .good job

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The first picture is very good ... seems done in my country....but here the silver coins are not hunted to bare ground.:thumbsup:

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds guys!
I think that I would be most excited with an iron spread of such a large area. Must have been multiple building sites and trash pits.
Finds will be surfacing for years to come. With that kind of muddy condition you can only scratch the surface.
I know all about mud and mosquitoes! Probably have it a little worse than you but as for now, it's a frozen solid wasteland!
Looking forward to see what else will come out of that site.
Cheers,
Dave.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I recognize that spot-LOL. You were wanting a new location where no man had hunted before and I think you have found it. I have high hopes for that spot. Three Spanish to start up the year is great. WTG, Q.

Yep, it is near an oak tree with spanish moss close to a cane field in Southern Louisiana. Left turn at the quarter house and keep going till you see that plate lunch place and you're almost there. Now anybody should be able to find it. :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2013 is startin where 2012 left off with SILVER linings BB!!! You can tell a big change in your voice from the button to the silvers.lol. That new site looks like it should be a good one for the BANDITS.. To many of us a shield nick would b a great and you guys make it look like a walk in the park findin them on the surface. I personally wood b tickled to find the pipe stems. lol. GREAT video as always. Shane was a lil' off on which machine was gonna find it all.lol. Well your off and runnin for the new year so the BEST of luck to you all. Can't wait to see whats NEXT... CONGRATS.. HH

Hahaha he jinxed it when he said it on the video. Shane, you gotta go Pro man. Get used to scouting to find sites, and Always carry spare batteries LOL.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread