What's new

Antique Whisle

metaldetectingtaylor

Full Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2011
Messages
155
Reaction score
120
Golden Thread
1
Location
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found in area where most items date to early 1900's. From what I can make it out it says "Made in Japan" then it theres a triangle with an H inside it and under that either says H A R D or 6 A R D or maybe even G A R D and up close it may even have periods between the letters, and then it obviously says whistle underneath. Its pretty heavy also seems like brass. Any help would be great thanks!
 

Attachments

  • P1110504.webp
    P1110504.webp
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,151
  • P1110502.webp
    P1110502.webp
    79.7 KB · Views: 1,137
If you could figure out some way to contact Avner Strauss or somebody at the Whistle Museum, I bet they could help on your whistle.
Good Luck!

http://whistlemuseum.com/
 
Upvote 0
-!!Whistle museum!! what a cool site, Creskol--- metel----could that be a C for Card Whistle???
 
Upvote 0
My searching capabilities are so poor on this old slow computer. Can someone search "made in japan" and "H in a diamond" mark to see if the mark is Heisey?
 
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • heisey-mark.webp
    heisey-mark.webp
    3.6 KB · Views: 1,026
Upvote 0
It may be a mispelled Guard Whistle.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for the input guys. Im guessing the misspelling is the case. So if it did mean "guard whistle" is this like a police whistle?
 
Upvote 0
metaldetectingtaylor said:
From what I can make it out it says "Made in Japan" then it theres a triangle with an H inside it and under that either says H A R D or 6 A R D or maybe even G A R D and up close it may even have periods between the letters, and then it obviously says whistle underneath.

Im sure this is solvable. :BangHead: OK what about P.D. for police department as in L.A.P.D.?
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
metaldetectingtaylor said:
From what I can make it out it says "Made in Japan" then it theres a triangle with an H inside it and under that either says H A R D or 6 A R D or maybe even G A R D and up close it may even have periods between the letters, and then it obviously says whistle underneath.

Im sure this is solvable. :BangHead: OK what about P.D. for police department as in L.A.P.D.?

I am not sure that the last letter is even a "D"
 

Attachments

  • Screen shot 2012-01-12 at 2.14.52 PM.webp
    Screen shot 2012-01-12 at 2.14.52 PM.webp
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,130
Upvote 0
Looks like a T to me.
 
Upvote 0
It looks more like "E" to me now that i look closely. But i've tried searching H.A.R.D H.A.R.T and H.A.R.E and still nothing! :BangHead:
 
Upvote 0
metaldetectingtaylor said:
It looks more like "E" to me now that i look closely. But i've tried searching H.A.R.D H.A.R.T and H.A.R.E and still nothing! :BangHead:

Also, the second character may not be an "A" ... I doesn't come close to matching the A's in JAPAN.
 
Upvote 0
That is definately not a police whistle, or at least not the sort that is used in the UK. Police whistles are round, and that one is slim. It looks to me like one of those whistles that are used by sheepdog trainers, or for any animal training for that matter, they are of the thin type. The sound that comes from those thin looking whistles are usually only heard by animals with acute hearing.
 
Upvote 0
Unicorn said:
That is definately not a police whistle, or at least not the sort that is used in the UK. Police whistles are round, and that one is slim. It looks to me like one of those whistles that are used by sheepdog trainers, or for any animal training for that matter, they are of the thin type. The sound that comes from those thin looking whistles are usually only heard by animals with acute hearing.
I was not thinking an official police whistle but a toy version made in Japan. This is however the type of police whistle that was used in the USA. http://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=2500&aid=43558&lid=11355168 Notice the round part I believe has broken off. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Pol...926?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfd0a0d5e The better police whistles were imported from England.
 

Attachments

  • whistle police.webp
    whistle police.webp
    6.2 KB · Views: 930
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
For some reason the "Made in Japan" insignia makes more sense on a toy. If it was some sort of police whistle or official whistle I would imagine the U.S. would have produced it during this time.
 
Upvote 0
Am I missing something? LOL :dontknow: Is this just the mouth piece part of a 'police type' whistle, and the round part is broken off or is this a whole flat whistle? I'd like to see pics of each end. Breezie
 

Attachments

  • FlatWhistle.webp
    FlatWhistle.webp
    14.5 KB · Views: 988
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
Am I missing something? LOL :dontknow: Is this just the mouth piece part of a 'police type' whistle, and the round part is broken off or is this a whole flat whistle? I'd like to see pics of each end. Breezie
I thought it was broken. Thats what I get for assuming. :D
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Breezie said:
Am I missing something? LOL :dontknow: Is this just the mouth piece part of a 'police type' whistle, and the round part is broken off or is this a whole flat whistle? I'd like to see pics of each end. Breezie
I thought it was broken. Thats what I get for assuming. :D

I think the flat whistle that Breezie posted is brass colored tin. In researching this one, I haven't seen any true brass flat whistles. However, that doesn't mean that there aren't some out there, and I too, would like to see more photographs. I still think the Whistle Museum would be a great resource in ID'ing this one.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom