What's new

Antler Tine Point

catherine1

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
1,817
Reaction score
1,080
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I would share this with TN. Its a little over 2 inches long. Found the base close to it.
 

Attachments

  • wild w 064.webp
    wild w 064.webp
    162.9 KB · Views: 221
  • wild w 066.webp
    wild w 066.webp
    135.8 KB · Views: 204
Upvote 0
Would they just put the shaft rite into the tip on these type of points?
 
I would say so rock. It is only drilled about a half inch deep. There is a article somewhere on the internet about them.
 
not trying to steal this thread but here are a few bone and antler arrow pointsIMG_0826.webp100_4817.webpIMG_1166.webp
thought you might want to compare
 
Cool finds Larson. I was stationed at Minot back in the 80's. What a great state to live in. I remember having 3 feet of snow in May, the dust storms, and of course the fishing. Plus very nice people. Thanks for the pics/reply. Keith. Hey did you Gomer those tines. I did the piece I found Tuesday and it did not even bubble.
 
Last edited:
Would they just put the shaft rite into the tip on these type of points?

There have been many examples found in Florida with asphalum still left in the socket. Nice find!
 
hey thanks man
i have not put anything on my pieces
i don't think i ever will but i have no knowledge on that subject
 
The preservation in your area is much more of an exception then a rule. ... lucky....
 
Nice find. It's cool that you found the base too!
 
Nice bone artifact.
 
I hope its OK..I just wanted to add one of my finds to the comparisons.

ForumRunner_20130216_101522.webp



ForumRunner_20130216_101943.webp
 
hey gator do think you have an arrow point or an awl or perforating tool?
it is for sure one out of the three and it seems like it is all there
 
Good question...and was my first also. From my readings and like examples plus where they were found..the belief is that they were fishing tools. Even to this day we have schools of fish like mullet.. that get so thick spearing would be no problem...also alot of flounder that lay flat on the bottom in shallow water that a primitive net would probably pass right over.
 
Nice artifact Gator. Yours looks like a awl/bone. Does it have a socket on the butt end. And is it made of deer antler. My antler tines tend to turn much lighter after a couple days of drying. Of course the find location/soil seems to determine the color condition. Thanks for the info/pics.
 
Its actually a deer toe bone. And thank you. It has a hollow marrow Chanel. The "but end" is smoothed and finished.. I will add a photo when I am able.
 
Nice example Catherine. We are so wet here as soon as bone and things are exposed they rot. It is nice to see examples I am guessing of an atl atl point.
 
This isn't the best photo but you should be able to see the end on this is complete with a little damage after the fact. Also what we call a bone pin down here made of deer leg bone and a sewing needle made from alligator bone. Its a shame the eye is broken but not surprising. I've never actually found an antler Tine point.. congratulations on that one for sure. I have however found several sections of antler with the tines removed. Also keep an eye open for thick sections used as Billets For flintknapping and tines used as pressure flaking tools... you will be able to see the use wear. The one I have here was used so long the person's hand added alot of Polish.
 

Attachments

  • ForumRunner_20130217_125341.webp
    ForumRunner_20130217_125341.webp
    38.7 KB · Views: 102
  • ForumRunner_20130217_125501.webp
    ForumRunner_20130217_125501.webp
    27.1 KB · Views: 113
  • ForumRunner_20130217_125627.webp
    ForumRunner_20130217_125627.webp
    19.1 KB · Views: 101
  • ForumRunner_20130217_125717.webp
    ForumRunner_20130217_125717.webp
    47.4 KB · Views: 94
  • ForumRunner_20130217_125809.webp
    ForumRunner_20130217_125809.webp
    48.9 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom