What's new

Any Ideas on This?

timekiller

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2009
Messages
3,853
Reaction score
966
Golden Thread
1
Location
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this a few days ago in todays finds.Found it at a very old site on the river.But have no clue to what it is.It is very thin like and flat with the incrusted iron on the bottom.Thanks Ahead! Timekiller!
 

Attachments

  • 000_0001.webp
    000_0001.webp
    78.5 KB · Views: 419
  • 000_0002.webp
    000_0002.webp
    14.8 KB · Views: 418
  • 000_0003.webp
    000_0003.webp
    47.7 KB · Views: 400
  • 000_0004.webp
    000_0004.webp
    44.2 KB · Views: 400
Is the whole thing iron or just iron stuck to the back (of some other type of metal)?

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Mackaydon said:
Reminds me of a "Widow's Mite" with another piece fused to it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lesson_of_the_widow's_mite
Thanks once again Mackaydon,never heard of one being found over here.You are great in your reseach.Don't know if it is but was glad to had read about them.Will admitt it's the closes thing I have found to it.I had gave up on coins couldn't find nothing like it.Was thinking button like I have never seen,or maybe even some type of bottle closer (seal).But had found nothing like them either.
Thanks for your help!
I'm just bad about wanting to know what something is. :laughing9: Helps when someone stops by to be able to give Ideas of what something is you look for.Nothing like having someone say "what is that" and all you can say is I don't know! :laughing9: :notworthy: :hello:
 
Upvote 0
DCMatt said:
Is the whole thing iron or just iron stuck to the back (of some other type of metal)?

DCMatt
Two metals,iron on back,the other is so flat and brittle hard to say for sure.But has the patina like copper maybe mixed with a alloyed of somekind.
Timekiller!
 
Upvote 0
Mackaydon said:
Timekiller:
Thanks, I enjoy the research, and if wrong, it may then trigger a better answer from others; lets hope.

Don.....
Would that had been something the colonist would had?It is a old site.Just from knowing with what other things I have found here.I would say this site is as old as the one the 1669 tabacco token came from.(my guess)Also had these two lead pieces at it.They were just so coin like I kept them. :dontknow: They were mixed among indian relics as most of the older sites here are.
 

Attachments

  • 000_0005.webp
    000_0005.webp
    96.9 KB · Views: 342
  • 000_0006.webp
    000_0006.webp
    35.7 KB · Views: 338
Upvote 0
Based on the Buffalo Nickel used for size comparison, wouldn't it be too big for a Widow's Mite. I've owned a couple in the past and they were quite a bit smaller than a nickel. If it were a prutah, it would be less the 1/2 inch and if it were a lepton, it would be much smaller.

The design is a dead ringer for the styles with the star on them though.

Doug
 
Upvote 0
Timekiller:
"Widow's Mite's" came in a variety of sizes and shapes. Consider the square shaped Judaea - Alexander Jannaeus - 103 - 76 BC - bronze prutah, 17x14 mm found here: (scroll down to the enlarged 'square' coin). This coin is larger than a half inch and was the coin I first imagined when I saw the object you found. Granted, 'our' coins are not exact, and yours may not even be a coin, but as I first mentioned, it has become an incentive for further comments.
Don...

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...2&gbv=2&ndsp=20&hl=en&sa=N&start=120&ie=UTF-8
 
Upvote 0
Mackaydon said:
Timekiller:
"Widow's Mite's" came in a variety of sizes and shapes. Consider the square shaped Judaea - Alexander Jannaeus - 103 - 76 BC - bronze prutah, 17x14 mm found here: (scroll down to the enlarged 'square' coin). This coin is larger than a half inch and was the coin I first imagined when I saw the object you found. Granted, 'our' coins are not exact, and yours may not even be a coin, but as I first mentioned, it has become an incentive for further comments.
Don...

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...2&gbv=2&ndsp=20&hl=en&sa=N&start=120&ie=UTF-8
Thanks Don,yea gotta say that star deal goes along with it.I think it might have some part in it.Like said to bad about the iron on the back of it.Cause it is so thin and in such a state that I don't think me messing with it tying to clean would do it any good.So the way it is,is all I have to go by.
Thanks again for your help friend,
Timekiller!
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Replies
7
Views
642
  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Any ideas?
Replies
4
Views
556

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom