Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At first I thought it was letter opener , till I reread your post . I'm guessing that it might be a leg to a lighter object , maybe a sheet music holder ??
mojjax

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
It looks like it came off of a shelf bracket...The bottom probally had a screw hole the same as the top...fit into an el.shaped bracket.

Upvote 0

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
Taking a shot at it here, I thought letter opener too but your desciption of weight wouldn't seem right. Also, it doesn't seem to have a honed edge at the bottom and the hole seems odd. It definately looks like it used to hang on something or be attached with a screw or bolt. Would be too small, I think, for a table or a chair. Seems like you could get another inch or so if you made up for the lost part. Try this. trace the object on a piece of paper and draw a line down one side and continue in the same shape, as straight as you can. Then go down the other side doing the same thing. Where your two lines cross, I would think would be close to the original length of the object. At least the probable maximum lenght. If the bottom was flattened, say to rest level on a floor or table, it could have been shorter. I think it would have been something that would sit on a table maybe. A lamp or candle stand. Perhaps a music or book stand. Looking at it, it looks like it has a lot of age to it. Perhaps something that wasn't electric as a lamp but maybe something that held a candle. ???

Upvote 0

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
Or, looking at it again, it could be an ornament off of another piece of furniture. Something that would have been attached to the edge of a table leg or a cabinet or something. Rather than carving the design into wood, someone could have forged it or cast out of metal and then attached. Like was mentioned, there could have been another hole in the bottom where it was affixed to something.

Upvote 0

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool find sherman!

hh

lonewolfe

Upvote 0
A

Aguila

Could it be a decorative attachment to a ceremonial sword or maybe for the scabbard?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions