What's new

Any information on this knife?

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2009
Messages
1,861
Reaction score
83
Golden Thread
0
Location
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Knife with a 7 inch blade ( the handle has round leather pieces on it)
Any idea of the age?
Found at a location that has not been occupied since the late 40's early 50's.
 

Attachments

  • DSCN3564.webp
    DSCN3564.webp
    21.6 KB · Views: 688
  • DSCN3545.webp
    DSCN3545.webp
    34.4 KB · Views: 699
  • DSCN3543.webp
    DSCN3543.webp
    5.3 KB · Views: 678
  • DSCN3564.webp
    DSCN3564.webp
    21.6 KB · Views: 674
  • DSCN3545.webp
    DSCN3545.webp
    34.4 KB · Views: 688
  • d.webp
    d.webp
    7.2 KB · Views: 459
Sky, I can't tell you anything about your knife, but I think it is a super COOL FIND! Breezie
 
Upvote 0
It looks like an older type throwing knife , I have a whole set that I think would look just like that one if I could see through the rust .
The end is cap is how you adjust the balance for throwing .
Yeah , I do think that is what you found .
 
Upvote 0
Interesting dagger. I wouldn't think that a throwing knife would have a hand guard.
 
Upvote 0
Daedalus said:
It looks like an older type throwing knife , I have a whole set that I think would look just like that one if I could see through the rust .
The end is cap is how you adjust the balance for throwing .
Yeah , I do think that is what you found .
Yes I agree...a throwing knife, cool find :thumbsup:

SS
 
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
Sky, I can't tell you anything about your knife, but I think it is a super COOL FIND! Breezie

I was excited when I found it!
 
Upvote 0
i dont think its a throwing knife. i fould one kinda like yours but the handle is different. :icon_scratch:
 

Attachments

  • knife.webp
    knife.webp
    4.6 KB · Views: 536
Upvote 0
It is some type of dagger. Could be thrown sure, but not made just for throwing. I have seen a "commando" dagger that had a similar blade, sharp on both sides and designed for stabbing or slicing. Monty
 
Upvote 0
An idea for you to check out. Your knife could be similar or related to a fairbanks style fighting knife WW2.
 
Upvote 0
SkyPirate said:
Knife with a 7 inch blade ( the handle has round rubber pieces on it)
Any idea of the age?
Found at a location that has not been occupied since the late 40's early 50's.

are you sure its rubber pieces on the handle" i'm guessing if you look closer, you'll find the rings are leather which could date your dagger a lot earlier. if you can, pull (dont cut) one apart to see if its fiberous like leather.
 
Upvote 0
dozer dan said:
SkyPirate said:
Knife with a 7 inch blade ( the handle has round rubber pieces on it)
Any idea of the age?
Found at a location that has not been occupied since the late 40's early 50's.

are you sure its rubber pieces on the handle" i'm guessing if you look closer, you'll find the rings are leather which could date your dagger a lot earlier. if you can, pull (dont cut) one apart to see if its fiberous like leather.

I totally agree. Lots of old hammers had leather laminated handles.
 
Upvote 0
Fairbane-Sykes have straighter hand guards, but blade design looks to be close. See if there is a maker's mark on the blade next to the handguard. I carried one for awhile, but went back to the more practical K-Bar.
 

Attachments

  • Fairbane-Sykes 2nd Pattern (Medium).webp
    Fairbane-Sykes 2nd Pattern (Medium).webp
    68 KB · Views: 492
Upvote 0
dozer dan said:
SkyPirate said:
Knife with a 7 inch blade ( the handle has round rubber pieces on it)
Any idea of the age?
Found at a location that has not been occupied since the late 40's early 50's.

are you sure its rubber pieces on the handle" i'm guessing if you look closer, you'll find the rings are leather which could date your dagger a lot earlier. if you can, pull (dont cut) one apart to see if its fiberous like leather.
Yes you are correct, the rings are leather. They are very dry and break when i handle them. They look black but you can see some of the fibers inside are brownish. Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • c.webp
    c.webp
    16.5 KB · Views: 445
Upvote 0
kenley said:
Fairbane-Sykes have straighter hand guards, but blade design looks to be close. See if there is a maker's mark on the blade next to the handguard. I carried one for awhile, but went back to the more practical K-Bar.

Too rusted to see a makers mark.
 

Attachments

  • a.webp
    a.webp
    18 KB · Views: 450
  • b.webp
    b.webp
    13.5 KB · Views: 441
Upvote 0
SkyPirate said:
Knife with a 7 inch blade ( the handle has round leather pieces on it)
Any idea of the age?
Found at a location that has not been occupied since the late 40's early 50's.

:help:
 
Upvote 0
I Had One Just Like It Doing The Early 80s The Rings Are Hard Rawide And Had Differnt Two Colors Too Them
Just a Dagger :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
That style knife is called an Arkansas toothpick. The original ones were very large but the newer ones can be had with 7 inch blades. I would guess that one is from the 1970s.
 
Upvote 0
Sort of reminds me of the before shots on this guy's incredible web site. Well worth flipping through all 6 pages. Expensive, but this guy is clearly a master. Hard to believe he brought some of those back.

http://kniferepairs.ca/before.html
 
Upvote 0
taz42o said:
That style knife is called an Arkansas toothpick. The original ones were very large but the newer ones can be had with 7 inch blades. I would guess that one is from the 1970s.

I doubt the 70's, the area I found it in has not been touched since the 50's. There is not even a road in to this place anymore and it's on private property.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom