What's new

Any Old Ones In This Pile?

rock

Gold Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2012
Messages
14,751
Reaction score
8,933
Golden Thread
0
Location
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering if you people could tell me if there are any old pieces in these pictures? These were found in NE Ga.
Thanks, rock
 

Attachments

  • 100_3818.webp
    100_3818.webp
    222.6 KB · Views: 156
  • 100_3822.webp
    100_3822.webp
    284 KB · Views: 143
  • 100_3824.webp
    100_3824.webp
    144.4 KB · Views: 134
  • 100_3827.webp
    100_3827.webp
    129.9 KB · Views: 124
  • 100_3829.webp
    100_3829.webp
    133.8 KB · Views: 128
  • 100_3830.webp
    100_3830.webp
    141.5 KB · Views: 126
  • 100_3832.webp
    100_3832.webp
    138.5 KB · Views: 129
  • 100_3834.webp
    100_3834.webp
    115 KB · Views: 158
  • 100_3837.webp
    100_3837.webp
    113.9 KB · Views: 120
  • 100_3838.webp
    100_3838.webp
    114.3 KB · Views: 143
  • 100_3840.webp
    100_3840.webp
    170.9 KB · Views: 141
  • 100_3841.webp
    100_3841.webp
    126.3 KB · Views: 137
  • 100_3842.webp
    100_3842.webp
    127.8 KB · Views: 156
Upvote 0
Just how old are asking? If you are asking if there is any Paleo pieces I don;t see anything obvious in your pictures that says Paleo. But I do see some Archaic pieces so those would be several thousand years old and relatively speaking they are all old.
 
I have to agree with The Reaper. Unless you have modern reproduction pieces in the mix, they are all pretty old. The idea of a game "find the fakes" would be a good education. I'm not skilled enough to host that game though. Rock, not trying to be bossy or tell you how to take your photos here, just want to help you. Water does outline definition of artifacts when it's properly applied. Some of your pieces are practically floating. Lol! Keep a paper towel near so you can dabb them after washing. "Everything in moderation" as the old saying goes. I think some of your pieces have more definition than we can see. Good post!
 
I just got done washing them. I bought a collection and cherry picked it first. Then we settled on a price. He made a offer and I said yes. Got 97 pieces. I sent GB a pick of the pile before I started picking through them. All of these are from Gordon County Ga. It was a persons personal finds on their property. Nobody said anything about repros in the mix NC. If they were I would of told it and there isnt any.
 
Last edited:
I just got done washing them. I bought a collection and cherry picked it first. Then we settled on a price. He made a offer and I said yes. Got 97 pieces. I sent GB a pick of the pile before I started picking through them. All of these are from Gordon County Ga. It was a persons personal finds on their property. Nobody said anything about repros in the mix NC. If they were I would of told it and there isnt any.

I know Rock! Didn't mean any thing insulting by that. I was saying to mix repro pieces with authentic pieces and have someone pick the repros out would be a fun game. I have to give you a hard time.
 
I just sent you a pic and yes there was some rocks in the mix as you will soon see. I put them aside.
 
Just how old are asking? If you are asking if there is any Paleo pieces I don;t see anything obvious in your pictures that says Paleo. But I do see some Archaic pieces so those would be several thousand years old and relatively speaking they are all old.

Thanks for your reply. I saw the archaic flaking on some of these. I wasnt sure on some if they might be Dalton or not. There are some Woodland Spikes first pic bottom right. The 2 on the upper left 1st pic might be ax heads or choppers. The 2 on the bottom left are game stones and are pecked. Thanks, rock
 
Hammer stones you think?
Most of those can be fairly quickly typed rock..there are many decent sites on the internet if you don't have a book covering your area.
Looks like archaic and woodland to me.
The one that kinda looks like a Lecroy is a Patrick I think.
Also think the first individual photo is of a broken tip.
 
Last edited:
I know its hard to see in the pic so I did a close up.
 

Attachments

  • 100_3844.webp
    100_3844.webp
    149.3 KB · Views: 144
  • 100_3845.webp
    100_3845.webp
    122.1 KB · Views: 141
  • 100_3846.webp
    100_3846.webp
    118.7 KB · Views: 138
Here are the 2 game stones.
 

Attachments

  • 100_3848.webp
    100_3848.webp
    181.6 KB · Views: 139
Nice stuff Rock
 
Here are the 2 game stones.

The oval one looks like a pecking stone to me. The other is for sure a game piece. The pics. Above these of the Celt like thing is awesome. I never have seen a hand axe with a polish. I wander if this one was a Celt or axe that broke between poll and bit. If so, it would make a great hand axe. That's a nice score Rock.
 
The ones that look Dalton I believe are Candy Creek and Camp Creek not Dalton. Darn! Oh well still some nice looking points. Most of these are Woodland and a few Archaic.
 
The oval one looks like a pecking stone to me. The other is for sure a game piece. The pics. Above these of the Celt like thing is awesome. I never have seen a hand axe with a polish. I wander if this one was a Celt or axe that broke between poll and bit. If so, it would make a great hand axe. That's a nice score Rock.
I just looked it up and its a type of Ax. Its called a cobble Ax or Celt. It measures 3 by 2.75 The write up on it calls it a cobble Ax.
 
no groove so I figure a Celt :dontknow:
 
The oval one looks like a pecking stone to me. The other is for sure a game piece. The pics. Above these of the Celt like thing is awesome. I never have seen a hand axe with a polish. I wander if this one was a Celt or axe that broke between poll and bit. If so, it would make a great hand axe. That's a nice score Rock.

I dont think they pecked their pecking stones. I know they pecked their game stones.
 
The ones that look Dalton I believe are Candy Creek and Camp Creek not Dalton. Darn! Oh well still some nice looking points. Most of these are Woodland and a few Archaic.

Rock, it seems like lately you have been determined to find a Dalton era point. I think the land that you found that fluted base on would be a likely spot to find dalton and earlier. I hope they work that land for you soon. I know some center pieces are around that place! Best of luck!!
 
Here is a strange piece. I believe it was a point and then reworked into a knife.
 

Attachments

  • 100_3852.webp
    100_3852.webp
    178.5 KB · Views: 77
I dont think they pecked their pecking stones. I know they pecked their game stones.

I'm not sure. I know that pecking and pressure flaking and other flint knapping lingo that I don't know was done with pecking stones. They may not have pecked them, but they pecked with them. Either way, a scarred up stone is the inevitable. I haven't seen a game stone with the oval shape. It isn't pecked to a nice finish as the game stone either. I'm not sure. If you say game stone, game stone it is. Old man told me once,"call it what ever you want, it's in your collection". Since then, every point I have has been called "the fluted Clovis". Lol! Cheesy I know!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom