Anyone familiar with Pistols?

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• Dan Wesson 001.JPG
    Dan Wesson 001.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 684

djm of PA

Jun 11, 2010
Carsonville, PA
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac and White's Classic 4
Great looking piece!!! I have one just like it, but wish I had all those extra barrels!!!
I am a hobbyist, not a retail seller, so pricing is what i've seen and/or paid locally in my area.

Gun itself, if in great shape should bring between $400-$550 depending on the market in your area
then, you have the extra barrels, which I would value around $300-$350 for the set.

all in all, the gun, barrels and extra grip should bring you around $900 on the highest end to the right buyer. For a quick sale, probably around $600-$650 is where I would offer if I were the guy buying since a transfer fee would also be in order for the buyer. A gun shop should offer you between $500-$600 I would suspect, which is why private party is always better. Again, that is just by judging the condition by pictures.
check out gunbroker for similar pricing.

The Dan Wesson handguns are sought after by many because while they were cheaper to buy than S&W and other big name brands, the accuracy according to some is unmatched. Personally, I'll take my dan wesson over my smith&wesson any day when accuracy counts.

Good luck if you decide to sell, but I think if I were you I would be holding on to that beauty!!!!

OP
OP
Coinstriking Michigan

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you very much for your opinion. The local gun shop offered $300 bucks..lol...I told him to get bent.

djm of PA

Jun 11, 2010
Carsonville, PA
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac and White's Classic 4
for the gun alone, yes, I would think they would offer around $300. The fact that you have the set of barrels, they were just trying to make a killing off of you. Good job walking away. Just like pawn shops, gun shops are there to make a quick buck and will usually offer you half of the real street value, if that at best.
You can double their offer any day of the week and then some. Wish you were in PA, I'd be first in line for those barrels!

oh, and you're welcome. I love talking guns!

OP
OP
Coinstriking Michigan

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
djm of PA said:
for the gun alone, yes, I would think they would offer around $300. The fact that you have the set of barrels, they were just trying to make a killing off of you. Good job walking away. Just like pawn shops, gun shops are there to make a quick buck and will usually offer you half of the real street value, if that at best.
You can double their offer any day of the week and then some. Wish you were in PA, I'd be first in line for those barrels!

oh, and you're welcome. I love talking guns!

Yeah I love guns as well, My dad that just passed was a marine and from my earliest memories he took us shooting and always had about a dozen firearms on hand.

xlt fan

Greenie
Sep 11, 2011
better look at gunbroker.com auction #252530201. yes it will depend on area but ive dealt with firearms more than metal detectors for yrs and id rather hold on to it than let it go for less than $1300

OP
OP
Coinstriking Michigan

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
xlt fan said:
better look at gunbroker.com auction #252530201. yes it will depend on area but ive dealt with firearms more than metal detectors for yrs and id rather hold on to it than let it go for less than $1300

Trouble is, in my small area...I don't think many people have that kid of cash set aside for a handgun. I was only going to ask $600-$700 for it.

2bits

Nov 19, 2009
Detector(s) used
One to many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, $600- $700 for everything would be a fair price. But as others have mentioned I would hang on to it. These are interesting times we live in. Also, buy a bunch of ammo for it if you haven't already.
2bits

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as sad as it is to say but with todays economy the best bet is to hold on to it an remember your dad with a smile ......if ya try to sell it your not going to get much with money the way it is .

OP
OP
Coinstriking Michigan

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
It was left to me but I was just trying to help my mother. My dad was only 56 so she wasn't eligible for any of his pension or social security. So she now has to live on about 4 thousand less a month.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using gunbroker is good advice. Thats a nice gun. Be sure to set a reserve price.
You can probaly do a private sale but to avoid any problems if it sells to an out of state buyer I would find an FFL to ship it for you and have the buyer pay the additional minimal fee, also shipping. I'm sure there is a collector out there who would take good care of your Dads gun after aquiring it, Good luck!

heat45

Sep 1, 2011
Detroit/Windsor
Primary Interest:
Other
It looks mint and that same set is usually $1600. I've seen them for $1400 and $1350. With Michigan's economy, I think you should get $1200 at least. If you accept anything under $1100, someone's going to be walking away with a big grin.

heat45

Sep 1, 2011
Detroit/Windsor
Primary Interest:
Other
You have to remember, these are limited sets and of higher quality, very similar to Dan's other custom handgun venture "Smith & Wesson Performance Center" builds. There's also a nice after-market Pachmayr grip that I would rather use than the original wood grip. No grip, for semi-automatic pistols or revolvers, is better than the cobblestone soft rubber finger-grooved Hogue grips.

OP
OP
Coinstriking Michigan

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
heat45 said:
It looks mint and that same set is usually $1600. I've seen them for $1400 and $1350. With Michigan's economy, I think you should get $1200 at least. If you accept anything under $1100, someone's going to be walking away with a big grin.

Definitely a different economy here. I think my dad only traded a Kimber .45 for this which I think is around $800. I'll do the best I can though.

heat45

Sep 1, 2011
Detroit/Windsor
Primary Interest:
Other
Those prices that I saw them at were all in Michigan. The Gibraltar Trade Centers in Taylor and Mt.Clemens. I think one was at that shop on Woodward and 13 Mile where they rent guns. They have a wall of rentable pistols for $20. $30 to rent a semi auto Ak47 7.62x39mm or Ak74 5.45x39mm. $50 to for an hour with the full auto 10" barreled M16 Commando in 9x19mm, $50 for the full auto MP5sd with built in suppressor and rectractable sliding butt-stock and $50 for the suppressed Heckler & Kock Mk23 .45acp 13 shot pistol. It's a fun time, without the $20,000 class 3 registry and $200 nfa tax.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm familiar with pistols, but that's a revolver. (Had an FBI range instructor that took a long time makin sure I understood that fine point many years ago, so if he's readin hope he sees I remembered.) I remember when Dan Wesson came out. That changeable barrel was novel at the time. I didn't like the look or feel of them. It was different across the country, but we were restricted to carryin S&W and Colt. Later Ruger and Dan Wesson were allowed. I knew a competition shooter who swore by his Dan Wesson, and did all right with it. That's a nice set there. I like the wood grips, and wondered if those grips on the gun came with the set or were a latter addition? If you're in the position where you can, try to put it away and hang onto it, as the value for that will surely increase. I would never wear it, but it's cool you got the belt buckle there too!

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's sweet. Hey, you should bury the belt plate for a future detectorist. :)

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DON'T SELL IT! Not at today's market rates, anyway. I still have a S&W 19 in high gloss nickel. I bought it in '71. Not anything special...I just like it! I just believe, if that was your dad's gun.... hold on to it.... for at least 20 more years. If you still feel like selling it, well, I would just hold on to it. My dad gave me a Winchester model 12 shotgun. Serial #154512(Win said it was made in 1913). I sold it to one of the cops I used to work with. He has since passed and I'm STILL kicking myself in the behind! Don't sell it. You'll know why in about 20 years. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread