Anyone still watching Gold Rush White Water, what are they doing wrong?

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Central Valley California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Gold+Rush+White+Water

I'm surprised Discovery is still funding them, their last two seasons have been a disaster. They've already sunk almost $100k at this point I think. The creeks have a history of gold mining, they're using three dredges in two sites yet at their current season they've only got around 1 ounce after 6 weeks of dredging. What exactly are they doing wrong?

Upvote 0

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Gold+Rush+White+Water

I'm surprised Discovery is still funding them, their last two seasons have been a disaster. They've already sunk almost $100k at this point I think. The creeks have a history of gold mining, they're using three dredges in two sites yet at their current season they've only got around 1 ounce after 6 weeks of dredging. What exactly are they doing wrong?

The last episode showed them finally getting on it. If you think about the time it takes to set up the camp, get all the rigging in place for moving the rocks etc, that stuff takes time. Then factor in how long it might take to get down to the good gravels and bedrock. That creek is moving pretty good and overnight moves a lot of material around in the hole.

A

Audozer

Maybe they’re doing nothing wrong, maybe there just isn’t any gold. Until they get in there and get their hands dirty there’s no way of knowing for sure that they will be successful. Seems to me like they’re doing everything right except for maybe sloppy prospecting at the most

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer
Gold Hog Piglet highbanker
Home made slate miller table
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sure seems like nearly scald someone to death every couple of shows, because of clogged filters, pinched hoses or other things that should be on their safety checklist at the start of every day. I think that would be a horrible way to die. To those of you who use water heaters in your diving and dredging, does that really happen as often as it does to the Hurt's teams?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure seems like nearly scald someone to death every couple of shows, because of clogged filters, pinched hoses or other things that should be on their safety checklist at the start of every day. I think that would be a horrible way to die. To those of you who use water heaters in your diving and dredging, does that really happen as often as it does to the Hurt's teams?

The exhaust heaters are the worst type of contraption. Thats why every one of them is a homemade job.

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last season was difficult to watch: they know very little about dredging. Additionally they pick spots that have excessive overburden. It is a wonder none got killed last season. If I were consulting them I would point out that mother nature can do a lot of the work for them and have them choose spots with a lot of bedrock exposed in the stream bed....nature has removed the light overburden and the bedrock acts as "natures riffles" trapping the gold in the cracks and crevices. Once you locate a section of creek/stream that produces good values then go ahead and work into deeper overburden areas.

Their concept of plunge pools is misguided. While some can catch and hold the gold....more times than not the waterfall aspect called "Hydraulic plucking" removes the gold and sends it downstream where it can catch and hold. I never put all my emphasis on a deep hole first...I always go to natures riffles 1st. The bedrock tells the story.....so pay attention to what the bedrock looks like.

Bejay

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I auditioned...they called me.
I asked questions...then I turned them down...because it sounded like a shitshow
I was right...

OP
OP
F

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Central Valley California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Their concept of plunge pools is misguided. While some can catch and hold the gold....more times than not the waterfall aspect called "Hydraulic plucking" removes the gold and sends it downstream where it can catch and hold. I never put all my emphasis on a deep hole first...I always go to natures riffles 1st. The bedrock tells the story.....so pay attention to what the bedrock looks like.

How would more gold even end up in the bedrock when the gravel they're digging up is so tightly compacted that they needed an air drill to break it up into pieces? Does that happen millions of years ago when the gravel is still loose with gold, and the moving water of the stream shakes up the gravel, where the gold keeps moving and sinking slowly through the gravel and concentrating in those natural ripples when it hits bedrock?

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How would more gold even end up in the bedrock when the gravel they're digging up is so tightly compacted that they needed an air drill to break it up into pieces? Does that happen millions of years ago when the gravel is still loose with gold, and the moving water of the stream shakes up the gravel, where the gold keeps moving and sinking slowly through the gravel and concentrating in those natural ripples when it hits bedrock?

gold under/in cemented gravels was deposited thousands of years before at least.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's fake they have an outcome in mind before they even film.

i've talked to two different producers. Also turning them down because they planned on faking things from the word "action"

There is no reality in "reality tv"

Its no different than the start of "gold rush" Toad Hoffman never was or is a miner. He created the show as a fairy tale of "down on their luck friends in search of the motherload" Their airport was never bankrupt, they never sold a thing to finance the trip. Toad was never trying to find gold, he created his role in the show as the underdog. He never mined on proven ground, it was always leftovers and garbage too lean for a true outfit to want. Alaska, just like guyana, just like montana, just like colorado (which has always been a gravel operation, NOT a gold mine).

Its been said many times, the real gold is in the story, not the treasure itself.

Silveraith

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
Where The Four Winds Blow
Primary Interest:
Other
That area was worked heavily in the early 1900's by a crew who diverted the waterfall & removed thousands of ounces. The crew is aware of the fact there is little gold left to be found. It is being made for tv only. I get a good laugh out of it except when someone gets hurt. If it was a real project they would have been out of business by now.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's funny how they get all excited about spending half a day winching out a basketball sized rock...real dredgers throw them out overhand

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am watching season 4 now and their wasted time in south America. They set up their entire operation based on one test pan then dug up trash and not one speck.
It's hard to believe they would want to record this stuff. He doesnt know anything at all.

Its mild entertainment but that's about it.

I dont have TV so I only catch random episodes when I'm staying in hotels for work.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What are they doing wrong?
Underestimating the old timers!
How many times have they said no one has tried here?
Those original miners got everywhere.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are they doing wrong?
Underestimating the old timers!
How many times have they said no one has tried here?
Those original miners got everywhere.

They really didn't though. They did get MOST of the easy stuff.

There are numerous outfits doing exactly what these knuckleheads are pretending to screw up.

Tons of rich gravel for years and years to come.

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They really didn't though. They did get MOST of the easy stuff.

There are numerous outfits doing exactly what these knuckleheads are pretending to screw up.

Tons of rich gravel for years and years to come.

So true. I will relay a similar story. Most who know antelope creek down in the Rich Hill Az area know that Antelope Creek had been worked, worked, and then worked. The Pick Em Up ADMA Claim on Antelope Creek had been dredged to death. But 12 years ago a (newbie) fellow (who became my mining dredge partner) had a brand new 2 inch Keene Dredge. He kept wanting to try it out on the Pick Em Up...and I constantly told him it had been dredged...... nothing was there. Anyway we took his dredge up to a section that high waters had stripped clean down to bedrock (ideal for a 2 inch)….as huge boulders and pockets/cracks of gravel were sitting on the bedrock.

Long story short...we spent 4 years with a 3 inch dredge....(not enough water to run a 4) dredging out over 200 yds of creek with the exposed bedrock. It was the best take He and I ever got down there around Rich Hill...and we had a claim just under the mtn holding the richest vein:.....Octive Vein/mine. We found that A high bank section of creek had washed out and deposited a whole new bunch of gold....no not fines....but rather pickers and nuggets on that upper section of Antelope Creek.

Gold bearing areas can replenish..... and as was seen (white water gold rush series) after the (Hole fill in last season) (a landslide blockage that dammed and broke loose) they found some gold in the overburden that filled their hole.

Bejay

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I’ll be on a show that’s starting in January (I’m only in one episode). No BS or fake stuff in what I did and saw done. It’s called Reclaimed and will be on Discovery on Thursday nights. 9pm eastern...starting January 9th.

Last edited:

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
keep us posted,good luck brad
I’ll be on a show that’s starting in January (I’m only in one episode). No BS or fake stuff in what I did and saw done. It’s called Reclaimed and will be on Discovery on Thursday nights. 9pm eastern...starting January 9th.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread