Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lived with dial up since 1994, I finally got rid of my land line and started using cell phones 1.5 yrs ago and everything is fine. I also started using Hughes net for my computer and believe me the phone won't work well from your computer from satellite service. I have Magic Jack and just gave up on it. Finally Fairpoint came available 3 weeks ago and I jumped on it, Got rid of Hughes net and I'm saving big bucks and just using Fairpoint for internet at half the price. But HughesNet is better than land line. Do yourself a favor and get cell phones heck of a lot cheaper than land line.

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I have sketchy cell reception here, I only get service at one window, & only if I'm right against the window. otherwise, I have to drive about a mile for service. that's why I still have a land line. well & the fact that hughes has always been too expensive for me. am hoping to get info from someone that uses them, & not just info from hughes themselves.
March- will look up fairpoint. & thanx for telling me 'bout magic jack. was wondering if it really worked.

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mamabear said:
I have sketchy cell reception here, I only get service at one window, & only if I'm right against the window. otherwise, I have to drive about a mile for service. that's why I still have a land line. well & the fact that hughes has always been too expensive for me. am hoping to get info from someone that uses them, & not just info from hughes themselves.
March- will look up fairpoint. & thanx for telling me 'bout magic jack. was wondering if it really worked.

Magic Jack works great but not with Satellite.

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
ok showing my ignorance here- as usual. I thought magic jack was only used w/ satelite

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We used Hughesnet for three years - loved it.

You can use magicjack with anything - because it plugs into your computer, and you are using your computer as a phone (like a fax does).

However, if you have a "slower" connection, what you get is a time delay.

Hughesnet has more than one package - faster speeds that will make it work better. Our solution to the phone problem was a cell phone,
and we put up an telephone antenna for use at home - 5 bars every day. It plugs into your cellphone, and it is just like a home phone.

Beth

Don't know if you have checked other options, but, Wild Blue is another service, like Hughesnet. Don't waste your money on Wild Blue - there
service leaves something to be desired.

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
thanx Beth. good info. I know downloads cost on hughes net so I was thinking of going w/ the highest they have does that mean it's a faster connection? I feel so silly asking these ?? but it's better to be informed than not.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The differences in price have to do with faster uploads and downloads. If I remember correctly, the basic is 1.2 mbps/200, the middle one was
1.5/250 and the highest was 2.0/300 (could have changed by now). We settled on the middle one, and never ever had a surcharge or anything else. It was the same every month for 3 years.

What do you mean it costs to download?

Beth

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
a neighbor said everytime you download a pic such as on TN, it goes toward the max you have signed on for. is this wrong? now the max is 400 mb

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly - it never said that in our original contract - and we downloaded lots of stuff - and never had an issue.

Beth

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
texastee2007 said:
mamabear said:
live in an area where my options are limited. currently use dial-up, but thinking 'bout hughesnet. am hoping someone here has experience w/ them. have been warned about getting rid of land line phone & using computer for phone cuz of extra charges. any feed back?

We only have cell phone service with no land line...it saves us over $30.00 just to have the service. No problems so far.

Same Here. No Landline Just Cell phone

I Rarely use my phone, Pay Just under $50 a month
with roll over Minutes & Never have to worry.

There are cheaper Plans But when I Go lower
everyone Decides to call & I run over.

hypoman

Jul 25, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
I currently have hughesnet and it is a HUGENET rip-off. You have to sign up for a 3 year commitment and there is a $350 charge for cutting it off before that. They say installation is free....... wrong, had to pay $150 to have it hooked up. This is because hughesnet uses a third party to install and they cannot legally speak for that third party concerning fees, it's just THEY don't charge you. They say you can download this and watch that with faster speeds than dial-up.......... true.....to a point. Currently we have a 200mb limit at around $80 a month........ that's right $80 a month! If you go over that limit it costs $5 to reset it or you have no internet for "24 hours". They do give you one free reset a month....... this day in age....whoopdeedoo. The reason I put that in quotes is because if you use that limit up early in the day, say you download movies or whatever to watch later that night(one movie usually will do you in at 200mb) and use up your mb by noon, the 24 hour period DOES NOT BEGIN UNTIL MIDNIGHT! So essentially it is TWO days with no internet. I will go back to dial-up once this contract is over. I don't know if you want to hook-up gaming systems to the internet but you cannot.....but that is the case with all satellite internet. I would say stay away.

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I got an ad in the mail saying no installation fees & free equipment & there is also a gov. bill that helps rural clients get a better price if you qualify.
thanx everyone for your comments. I think for now I'll stick w/ slow dial up & a land line. at least until something better comes along. It may be a pain, but if that's the price for living where I live it's well worth it.

Attachments

• rainbow 001e.jpg
    rainbow 001e.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 237
  • rainbow 001e.jpg
    rainbow 001e.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 213

hypoman

Jul 25, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Nice pic :icon_thumleft:

they also told me there was no set-up fee...... I did not buy the equipment. they told me there was no charge fro them....... and they couldn't do anything about the third party.......... it was a scam cuz that was the only guy they would send out. All the other stuff, the mb limits and everything are available on their website, BUT you have to be a member too see it! Type in hughesnet scam on google.......... you'll get alot!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread