Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seriously, you need to trespass to coin hunt? I could think of several ways to get permission, but why bother. Since the introduction of Boom Baby shows I have seen a lot of new comers and have had to fill others holes and pick up the trash they leave. Now we are openly saying its ok to steal? Go dig up your grandma and steal here silver fillings in here teeth already. Where does it stop. We are all ambassadors of this hobby, and we are on the verge of loosing it. So Boom Baby, keep going in this direction and watch your hobby go bye bye. Its not a soap box, its a way of life to me. Im here to help. I think a few comments are way out of line. Im pretty sure this will fall on deaf ears here but it needed to be said. I hope any new comers to the hobby takes the time to learn how to dig and fill holes, gets permission where required, and helps build the hobby.
Do you turn your metal detecting finds over to the police department? If you dont detect, disregard my question.

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turning finds over to the police department.

Mr. lawyer here would suggest I turn my bottle caps and pull tabs over to the police department. If they wanted them yes, I usually give my finds to the kids in the park as it brings them joy. Do you have a permit? I do have a permit and turning in finds is not one of the requirements. Getting permission is? So yes I have a permit. Why would you troll this forum. You know your wrong. Your laws don't apply here. Not that I don't have certain finds checked out. Here is how it works for me, a responsible detector's'. I also buy storage lockers too. One requirement is the police has to come to do a weapon and title check. So you condone trespassing and stealing since you don't disagree. Boom Baby, we have another winner here. Quit trolling and help others enjoy the hobby.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes keppy, there will always be treasure hunters. Every time I see someone post he just got a ticket or has a court date, or some new law I will think of this post promoting not being legal. I am even legal when I treasure hunt too. If you can put your shoes on by yourself you can find the rules and laws pertaining to the hobby. Its not a hard thing to do. With all the millions of acres to hunt, you need a thrill Keppy? LOL.

TreasurDiggrNY

Dec 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If any of us are "damaging" property (leaving holes), then that person needs to repeat the "target recovery 101" class, of how to leave no trace of your recoveries.

And .... no, I would not extend this conversation to people's front lawns who were simply out of town for 2 weeks (as you say treasurdiggerNY). Yes I know that sounds exactly analogous to the bank-repo'd boarded up home. In fact, *technically* it might even be somehow the same. But somehow, everyone of us (I hope) sees a difference. One borders on abandoned (even though not *technically*) while the other is a very much lived in occupied private house, that ......... no .... I doubt the OP would just wander yard to yard claiming ignorance. Not saying this satisfies the "logic" test, or "legal" test, but just saying ..... there is within all of us, a subconscious knowledge of the difference.

There was a house fire in my city years ago, which destroyed the home beyond repair. The damage was such, that the insurance I presume bought out the owners (who must have had home insurance) and condemned the house. The homeowners got all their personal stuff out of the house that was in the un-burned portions, and the house just sat there for months pending demolition. I suppose that in that interum time, it .... I guess.... belonged to the insurance company? The grass grew up to knee-high height, as it sat abandoned. One day therefore, I took my power mower over there, mowed the lawn, and hunted it. Got some silver, and a key date 1909s lincoln cent (not a VDB durnit). I suppose this wouldn't be too different from the subject of this post. *Technically* the land still belonged to *someone*. Eventually, the remainder of the house was torn down, and a new home built on the site. Would I have just walked on to this yard before that fire and abandonment? Of course not. Would I walk on that yard now of the new home (the turf may even be the same afterall), of course not.

You never cease to amaze me Tom, I'm ROFLMAO at you're explanation above of how you came to justify walking onto property that you knew somebody else owned and hunted it up without getting permission:laughing9: Way to represent the hobby and put us in a good light:icon_thumright: Sandman must have been being sarcastic when he said you were such a fine voice for legality and all that is good for our hobby:laughing7: If the property doesn't belong to you, get permission or don't hunt there, what's so hard to understand about that?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes keppy, there will always be treasure hunters. Every time I see someone post he just got a ticket or has a court date, or some new law I will think of this post promoting not being legal. I am even legal when I treasure hunt too. If you can put your shoes on by yourself you can find the rules and laws pertaining to the hobby. Its not a hard thing to do. With all the millions of acres to hunt, you need a thrill Keppy? LOL.
HA,HA ,HA HA......:laughing9: :laughing7: :laughing9: :laughing7:....Casca you do say funny things........:laughing9:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr. lawyer here would suggest I turn my bottle caps and pull tabs over to the police department. If they wanted them yes, I usually give my finds to the kids in the park as it brings them joy. Do you have a permit? I do have a permit and turning in finds is not one of the requirements. Getting permission is? So yes I have a permit. Why would you troll this forum. You know your wrong. Your laws don't apply here. Not that I don't have certain finds checked out. Here is how it works for me, a responsible detector's'. I also buy storage lockers too. One requirement is the police has to come to do a weapon and title check. So you condone trespassing and stealing since you don't disagree. Boom Baby, we have another winner here. Quit trolling and help others enjoy the hobby.
All states have a law requiring you to turn in found items. They have to be over a certain value to be turned in...each state is different...some the value is $50, some $100, etc. because they dont want you turning in stuff like coins. You call yourself a responsible detector and you dont even know the laws. Do the responsible thing and turn in those rings youve found.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We would make a good team Keppy, but then I hunt alone lol..........can we all agree there is grey areas and its a choice a individual has to make. I prefer to be a legal unsuccessful treasure hunter, then a illegal one. But wont say the thought doesn't cross my mind every time I go out. At the end of the day, I feel good about myself. But a good find could probably leave me enough left over to donate to some cause to relieve my conscience. As a general rule, I would not violate private property it not in my programming.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suppose my question for anyone who trespasses, signs or no signs, is ......once your boss finds out, will you lose your job? And how hard will it be to get a new one? I would never ever ever recommend anyone trespass. To me, it's just not worth it.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looking down, better start stopping trash trucks and turning them in then. Better get to work, and there is no such law in every state. States are allowed to make their own laws, and only laws I can think of is Antiquity Laws. BLM and State has their laws too. But since your worried about being correct, Im looking for meteorite and Im allowed to keep all surface finds.....there ya go Looking. All better now.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Keppy once said "We all have skeletons in our closet" Ive made my point, Im out of here.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am the last boy scout looking, you can believe it.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I suppose my question for anyone who trespasses, signs or no signs, is ......once your boss finds out, will you lose your job? And how hard will it be to get a new one? I would never ever ever recommend anyone trespass. To me, it's just not worth it.
...What boss i don't have a boss... i am my boss......

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Like Keppy once said "We all have skeletons in our closet" Ive made my point, Im out of here.
Yes we do every one of us have skeletons in our closet.... We all have a dark side........ But there are some that will not admit to it................... I am with.....lookindown.......I'm out of here.................

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Seriously, you need to trespass to coin hunt? I could think of several ways to get permission, but why bother. Since the introduction of Boom Baby shows I have seen a lot of new comers and have had to fill others holes and pick up the trash they leave. Now we are openly saying its ok to steal? Go dig up your grandma and steal here silver fillings in here teeth already. Where does it stop. We are all ambassadors of this hobby, and we are on the verge of loosing it. So Boom Baby, keep going in this direction and watch your hobby go bye bye. Its not a soap box, its a way of life to me. Im here to help. I think a few comments are way out of line. Im pretty sure this will fall on deaf ears here but it needed to be said. I hope any new comers to the hobby takes the time to learn how to dig and fill holes, gets permission where required, and helps build the hobby.

Lets just say you live in an easy state. Your state parks are open to detecting and you can keep what you find. In Rock Hound State Park, you have , I think it is 8#limit on speciment rocks. They tell you where to find them and identify your finds for you. They even tell you how to clean them. In Poncho Villa State Park in Columbia , you can look for relics of the raid on the town by Villa. In most States the hunter is not so lucky. I think the situation sets the actions in any area. Let me just say, I don't think anyone could get thru a day without breaking some law. Just my point of view. Frank...

cubeblack700.jpg

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it pizz's me off when the same folks always preach about "skeletons",yea,nobody is pefect and no,nobody abides by the laws all the time,but when it comes to private property rights.....there is no grey area about detecting them without permission.I have never done it,never will...its stealing,no matter how you want to justify it,no matter how many more skeletons any body else has.Poaching is a perfect analogy.....be real proud of a poached deer head on your wall,or a poached box of gold coins.....sorry not for me,and a sign of the times......no morals,no respect.....

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it pizz's me off when the same folks always preach about "skeletons",yea,nobody is pefect and no,nobody abides by the laws all the time,but when it comes to private property rights.....there is no grey area about detecting them without permission.I have never done it,never will...its stealing,no matter how you want to justify it,no matter how many more skeletons any body else has.Poaching is a perfect analogy.....be real proud of a poached deer head on your wall,or a poached box of gold coins.....sorry not for me,and a sign of the times......no morals,no respect.....
Do you turn your finds over to the police?...I said I was out of here but I lied, guess Im not as perfect as some people.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

Your acting as if there is a line with good guys on one side and bad guys on the other. That's nice in theory, but not very realistic.
Lets set up a situation: You find a cache of gold coins. As an honest guy you report it to the law. It is advertised and low and behold the 'true owners' craw out of the woodwork so fast it makes your head spin. The legal wrangling eats up part of it and the gov. eats the rest. Does that leave you as the law abiding happy hunter? Frank...

111-2 700 head of old man.jpg

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't worry about it. It's only about a $500 fine and confiscation of your equipment.

By the way, the bank doesn't have to press charges. The cops take care of all of that.

Good luck!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Such a bunch of good doers and worry warts.......... Well all of you wonderful upright better than tho people .make me laugh.....:laughing9:..:laughing9:..:laughing9: i guess i lied also for i posted again also....... i could not hunt with most of you here .... That dam halo around your head would blind me............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread