Anyone with knowledge of safes?

R

rusty nails

well maybe the locksmiths will help em out and then we will know whats in the safe -
i think thats the main objective - i will let er go for now - lbp

RedSpey

May 16, 2005
Eugene, OR
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Is that book above really titled, "Guide to Manipulation"? My mother-in-law must have written that under a false name.

RedSpey

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CZ7922 said:
Sorry, no updates because I haven't had any luck.? Since I don't have any of the tools necessary I have not attempted any of the more extreme measures suggested by some of you (also, I still prefer to keep the safe intact).? I am 99% sure it's empty anyway, which is another reason it's been on my back burner.

I plan to shoot an e-mail to desertdigger after posting this.? Hopefully you all won't be in suspense too much longer. I do appreciate all of you taking the time to help me out.
How can you be 99% sure it's empty?Did you take it out of the wall and shake it? I don't buy it. :-\ 9 months,way too long,that safe in your wall won't add to your property value,you don't have the combo..Its removal is a simple drywall repair job that would take a couple hours,tops.That's my 2 cents.Nothing personal,just observations.Doesn't look like you emailed Desertdigger,if you did you didn't want to spend the forty bucks for the book.Can't blame you I guess,but you were online on Aug.16.Why no update?Even to say"sorry no updates",like you did 6 months ago.Later........

K

Kentucky Kache

leftybassplayer said:
diamond core huh ? - yah those are great for concrete - some of the better - more expensive hole saws would cut through that - even carbon blades on a jigsaw can cut 1/4 steel w/pilot holes and patience - thats what I AM TALKING ABOUT ! NOW GET SOME C4 AND BLOW THAT SOMINA #IOTCH UP - WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
WITH A REBEL YELL - SHE CRIED MORE MORE MORE - LATER PSYCHO LBP? ;)
I agree. I have cut foundation anchor bolts with a cheap blade on a reciprocating saw. It just takes a little time.

miss_anthrope

any thoughts on safety here? :P

a fire safe that' s pre-1974 most likely contains asbestos.

call FKI (Fire King International.) They bought out Meilink. Ask them where the serial # is. Locate it. Call them back, get combination. Or, pay 90-150 bucks for a locksmith to come tumble it for you.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
miss_anthrope said:
any thoughts on safety here? :P

a fire safe that' s pre-1974 most likely contains asbestos.

call FKI (Fire King International.) They bought out Meilink. Ask them where the serial # is. Locate it. Call them back, get combination. Or, pay 90-150 bucks for a locksmith to come tumble it for you.
8) Hello miss_anthrope,earlier in this thread he states that he cannot find a serial number anywhere.Not where it's supposed to be or elsewhere on the safe.Your probably right about the asbestos,it was used extensively for many purposes pre'74.I just tend to think there's more to this than"I want to keep the safe functional for the homes resale value".It's obviously already" non functional" so what does he mean?Maybe he's just looking to get the safe's combo without having to spend a dime.If that's the case,say so.Don't beat around the bush,talking about the homes resale value and such. ??? Okay,I went back and reread some things.I see he did take it out of the wall and shake it,I guess.So it sounds empty,take it to a locksmith period.End of story. :) Have a nice day!

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK CZ, So what was in it? anything?..........How can this thread end this way?............... :-\

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
what a nice group of safe crackers we have here,,, glad im not inside this safe, waiting to get out,, i must say thats a big wall safe, hope u get it open,

R

rusty nails

i wonder if they ever got in ?
must have been alot of loot in there.

Desertdigger

Jul 15, 2004
Wickenberg , AZ
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,Tesoro Lobo ST, Gold Bug ,Minelab probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup said:
CZ7922 said:
Sorry, no updates because I haven't had any luck.? Since I don't have any of the tools necessary I have not attempted any of the more extreme measures suggested by some of you (also, I still prefer to keep the safe intact).? I am 99% sure it's empty anyway, which is another reason it's been on my back burner.

I plan to shoot an e-mail to desertdigger after posting this.? Hopefully you all won't be in suspense too much longer. I do appreciate all of you taking the time to help me out.
How can you be 99% sure it's empty?Did you take it out of the wall and shake it? I don't buy it. :-\ 9 months,way too long,that safe in your wall won't add to your property value,you don't have the combo..Its removal is a simple drywall repair job that would take a couple hours,tops.That's my 2 cents.Nothing personal,just observations.Doesn't look like you emailed Desertdigger,if you did you didn't want to spend the forty bucks for the book.Can't blame you I guess,but you were online on Aug.16.Why no update?Even to say"sorry no updates",like you did 6 months ago.Later........
Hey! He bought the book from me and promised a e-mail as to what was in it ,no answer as yet over 120 days, I have been out of all action for more that that, lets hear it!!!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well at least he did buy the book.I'm glad you updated us Desertdigger.I hope your alright,since you mentioned that you've been out of commission for a while.Thanks for the update on your end.I guess it was empty.It's not too cool to leave us all hanging like that CZ7922,even if it was empty.It's called common courtesy! Why doesn't this surprise me though? Hmmmm...... ::) ::) Oh yeah,it's the internet!! :o ;D

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
CZ7922 said:
GLDHNTR - I would not be inclined to sell it mainly because it will leave a hole in my wall.? I'm guessing your offer would maybe cover the cost to patch the wall.? Then again, maybe I'm wrong.? You did see above that the safe seems empty when I shake it?

1st...I would trash the safe (once empty), and fill the hole with a 50 gallon fish tank.
2nd...just cause you don't hear anything doesn't mean squat. The safe could be full of bonds...or better yet, early IBM, or GE stock certificates. Or, it could be full of Enron stock certificates...good luck with it.

Old Tom

Aug 4, 2006
Milton, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI, Eagle Spectrum, Fisher 1235-X, 1280-X
My father had a safe like that when I was a kid. He had lost the combination to it, he told me to
do what ever I wanted to get it open.

All I had to do was cut off the bottom of the hinges, pop up the pins and pry off the door with a
crowbar. He didn't choose to, but at that point would have been easy to put on a new dial and
pound or weld in new pins.

P

pyromaniacgirl13

Ok, I also registered just to reply to this post! I can't believe this is 2 years old now!
<center> Here's the thing: I've got a safe like that too!!!
It was in my condo when I moved in, and the landlord said she does not have the combination. I too will try to get it open and notify you of my progession. </center>

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread