ColtsPop

Oct 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_3832.jpeg
These two bullets are .65 in long, .4114 diameter. The one on the top is 144 grain, on the bottom 148 grain. Both have the form of a Lemat with the most salient difference being the curvature at the waist. Can anybody provide a positive identification?

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
In my uneducated opinion, on the top one, I'd say yes. Bottom one not so sure on it, could be, but it also looks like a Maynard round.

Hopefully someone, who is a heck of a lot smarter than me (Which isn't hard), will be along to give you a definitive answer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Top one looks like the imported french LeMAt but the bottom one doesn't resemble any LeMats in any of my reference books. And, I didn't see a .40 caliber Maynard.

Upvote 1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sides do look rough but the bullet appears to be symmetrical. I haven't found a bullet in my references that is conical like this one and has the measurements this one has. I will keep looking.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The best place on the internet to get a civil war bullet correctly identified is the "Civil War Projectiles" discussion forum at bulletandshell.com. Go to the homepage and click on the forum at the top of the contents list on the left of the homepage. Like here at T-Net, you have to join to be able to post. Also like here in the What-Is-It? forum, well-focused closeup pics and precise measurement of the bullet's diameter and length are necessary for getting the correct ID.

Upvote 6

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good eye to notice that difference in the 2. Great finds. Please let us know what you find out. Interesting!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread