What's new

Arrowhead ??

Boringrat

Jr. Member
Joined
May 9, 2012
Messages
76
Reaction score
71
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve posted a few rocks and always wasn’t too confident to begin with since I find tons of pottery and zero arrowheads. I came across this in a field and wanted some opinions. Please and sorry if it’s nothing but I’m continuously learning every year so thanks for that! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1544493859.589117.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1544493890.629945.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1544493902.393973.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1544493913.475905.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1544493922.760729.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1544493931.113649.webp
 
Upvote 0
I suspect you'll get a good mix of yes's and no's.

I typically tell folks; If you aren't sure, it's not.
 
Thank you. I figure the folks in here would know better than myself. Like I said I been finding pottery for years in south Louisiana in the swamps and near lakes but I have yet to find a arrowhead.
 
My vote is yes, but most likely is an unfinished piece.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck
 
If not you're gettin real close. The first pic looks good! Don't throw it away!
 
An arrowhead made from difficult to work quartz. Not much doubt in my mind. Arrowhead. Gary
 
Not sure either, but I'm leaning towards "Yes."
 
I’d say yes but not finished.
 
I would also say yes, with some damage to it. Keep it.
 
From the pictures I'd say it's been knapped on and is an artifact of some sort.
 
it's a yes, made from a poor stone....still a yes however.
 
No brainer that's a point
 
I don't think it's a point or a tool, I see a cool natural rock that happens to have an arrowhead shape. But that's just me looking at a couple of pictures.

The education and journey of finding, comparing and collecting is what I think is the important part. Keep it, and as you find more arrowheads, come back to look at it a couple of years from now and you'll know why it is or isn't an artifact. The opinion that ultimately matters on your finds is your own.
 
I had mentioned several years back on some of your finds. What you have in this photo is something that is not native to South Louisiana. The Indians traded with other tribes, this one looks to be worked and little knapping is shown. A possibility, quartz is a harder substance, and the individual started on it & was having difficulty and just tossed it. In the land of no rocks. any rock found was bought into the area by man. I learned that from where I live. 539394_2295597047121_116559271_n.webp
 
I can't find the photo of the quartz point I found. Everything in the area where all the tools/points that I've found was in the higher elevation on our property next to the river. Everything was basically the same type of rock...all the same color. This area had been disked/plowed by my husband to keep me finding more. After a rain, that quartz point stood out like a sore thumb.
 
I can't find the photo of the quartz point I found. Everything in the area where all the tools/points that I've found was in the higher elevation on our property next to the river. Everything was basically the same type of rock...all the same color. This area had been disked/plowed by my husband to keep me finding more. After a rain, that quartz point stood out like a sore thumb.

Being able to plow and find artifacts on your own land ...... sounds good to me
 
Thanks all for you input. It was found a few miles from the Mississippi River in south Louisiana. In a sugar cane field. I will not throw it out and I will try to get better pics as requested. Thank you All again
 
Looks creek worn to me even though you say it came from a field. My vote is a worked piece dont know if it was ever finished or not but real close imo
 
From what I can see in the photos, it has the general shape of a point, but I don't think it is one. It does not look like the type of quartz I would expect to see a point or tool fashioned from, but rather looks more like the grainier material that I see mixed in with the grey driveway stones out my way. It just doesn't look like it has been knapped to me. But like everyone else said, keep looking and you will find something that no one will doubt is an artifact.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom