What's new

Article in W&E Treasures

bobr

Full Member
Joined
May 17, 2006
Messages
141
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Article in W&E Treasures

They had a really good article on coin roll hunting in the W&E Treasurers magazine I received yesterday. Too good in fact. I predict that the competition is going to increase, at least for a while, exponentially. Then it will drop off as the big finds aren't found each month. It was interesting that they intervied a "Bonnie" from Louisiana who made great finds and was a regular on a coin roll forum. Kind of sounds like our favorite Louisiana coin roll hunter.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Article in W&E Treasures

DrDetector said:
However, there is a finite number of silver coins that were minted, and as the mint keeps producing the clad and the silver continually is melted, I don't see how that could mean you are still going to have such good results.

DrDetector,

I was under the impression that the reserves don't bother reclaiming silver halves for melt. I could be wrong though.
 
Re: Article in W&E Treasures

bobr said:
It was interesting that they interviewed a "Bonnie" from Louisiana who made great finds and was a regular on a coin roll forum. Kind of sounds like our favorite Louisiana coin roll hunter.

Looks like "Bonnie" from Louisiana has been keeping a very low profile on the boards for the past couple of months!

I heard she is now in the witness protection program, and has changed her name to "Sally" from San Diego... ;D

"Bonnie", you know we love you!
 
Re: Article in W&E Treasures

patpall22 said:
DrDetector said:
However, there is a finite number of silver coins that were minted, and as the mint keeps producing the clad and the silver continually is melted, I don't see how that could mean you are still going to have such good results.

DrDetector,

I was under the impression that the reserves don't bother reclaiming silver halves for melt. I could be wrong though.

I didn't mean that the reserves melt it down, I meant when it is pulled by CRHers and sold for melt value to refineries.
 
Re: Article in W&E Treasures

Ok, I grabbed what I thought was my newest W & ET magazine (Dec '07), but no article about CRH-ing. Please tell me what month the mag is dated. I am about three months behind in reading them.

Thanks,

Scott (Mich)
 
Re: Article in W&E Treasures

Itis in the new January 2008 issue. It started arrivcing at people's doors two days ago. Maybe you have not gotten it yet (I Have not yet)
 
Re: Article in W&E Treasures

Folks... are you kidding me? Do you really think that the 50 people that post here have a corner on the market?

A google search returned about 379,000 for "coin roll hunting silver" in just 0.09 seconds.

I think if coin roll hunting surges for one week it'll be a miracle. The folks who read W&E are already aware of this hobby IMO...

Cripes... there are 20,000 members here that can read about it all day long!

I think you have nothing to fear...
 
Re: Article in W&E Treasures

Zesty Elf Dude said:
Folks... are you kidding me? Do you really think that the 50 people that post here have a corner on the market?

A google search returned about 379,000 for "coin roll hunting silver" in just 0.09 seconds.

I think if coin roll hunting surges for one week it'll be a miracle. The folks who read W&E are already aware of this hobby IMO...

Cripes... there are 20,000 members here that can read about it all day long!

I think you have nothing to fear...

Well said- some of my MD buddies just chuckle at the suggestion of CRH'ing.
 
Re: Article in W&E Treasures

The internet site he is talking about in the article is tnet. I confess that the picture on the first page of the roll of silver is my find back in August, and I gave permission for him to use that picture and story in the article. The actual story is on page 40 in the third paragraph, and I am the Ryan he talks about that found that roll. The article on tnet with that same picture is here:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,101946.0.html

Maybe with more people looking some of the untouched boxes that have sat at the fed for a while will pulled out and we will have a silver bonanza. I know that most people will try it once, find nothing, and go back to watching TV and snarfing down the twinkies. Happy hunting...Ryan
 
Interesting Coincidence

I got a Twinkie stuck in my Ryedale. Cheers, Jim

I got a new job at my Rehab Hospital. They put me in charge of cointing coins.
 
Re: Interesting Coincidence

coolpix9 said:
I got a Twinkie stuck in my Ryedale. Cheers, Jim

I got a new job at my Rehab Hospital. They put me in charge of cointing coins.

Get that twinkie out of there and get back to work, twinkies are bad for the machine and the human body ;). Cool about that job at the hospital, it will be interesting to see what you find in the near future.
 
Re: Article in W&E Treasures

Zesty Elf Dude said:
Folks... are you kidding me? Do you really think that the 50 people that post here have a corner on the market?

A google search returned about 379,000 for "coin roll hunting silver" in just 0.09 seconds.

I think if coin roll hunting surges for one week it'll be a miracle. The folks who read W&E are already aware of this hobby IMO...

Cripes... there are 20,000 members here that can read about it all day long!

I think you have nothing to fear...


Ditto! I know there are several crh's in this area. The tellers at some of the banks also hunt and have for years.
 
Re: Article in W&E Treasures

jrf30 said:
I think the next article will be in four months, in the May issue. It will not focus on Halves, but this time on Pennies. And shall mention the Ryedale machine and how to search pennies. Just like it showed specifically how to search for halves in this article.

that's my guess. :-)

And by then the people who joined the ranks of CRH will mostly have forgotten it, having too many skunk boxes and not nough patience. LOL

I can't keep the secret anymore,

jrf30 is the author of the article!!!!

Sorry John, but I must give respect where respect is due ;D
 
Re: Article in W&E Treasures

jrf30 said:
Wow. We have different attitudes I can say that.

Whereas you wrote <<I take older looking hand rolls, Wright BENS, WALKERS or MORGANS, OR 1964s or OLD, or SILVER on the side, and I cash them in at areas I know that other CHR either buy there halves. I ask the tellers to save them for the other Half dollar guys and not tell them about me. OF course they are full of CLAD but thats ok, the whole reason is to discourage and demoralize them to make them give up. >> I tend to take the oppostie approach.

I tell people all the GOOD things, and hope that they TOO find silver and copper and IHs and all sorts of good things.

Just a different way of thinking and looking at things. I think telling others will hurt us a little, but it doesn't matter. After all, if not for some on this board I would not know HOW to CRH. People answer questions all the time when someone asks. I consider it a priveldge to share something special with others so that they too can gain enjoyment out of it. And an honor that someone else has shared it with me.

And I'd never think to try to demoralize someone.

I don't judge you. Just say I do things differently. :-) Shout to the world the good news. :D

True Dat! J.D. be trippin'! What kind of hater is gonna take da time to wrap up rejects in fake old rollz then spread 'em out to different banks? Think you clownin' tellers 'cause they ain't know 'bout silver and U do? I bet they know something U don't know: You crazy as fu<k, like one of dem crazy school shooters! Check Yo Self, boy!
 
Re: Article in W&E Treasures

Since I haven't been posting much lately, I received several messages about this article from fellow members.....all positive I might add. Thanks.

I agree with most on here that this article will have very little affect on CRH'ing. Sure you may see some folks trying it, but most of us in here have already cleaned out the banks in their respective nearby surrounding areas or you should have anyway.....if not, you had better get busy....lol. Remember, just because you have already checked a particular bank.....don't forget about. It is good to go back every so often. People do cash in collections/stashes for reasons I hate to even think about. After these folks get meager results from the areas/banks that you have already hit, my guess is they will loss the enthusiasm for the hobby.

That either leaves ordering boxes or road trips to hit banks. It takes dedication to set up a box ordering system and work it every day of the week or 2-3 days of the week....whatever your flavor is. My guess is that there will be some to try it, but most will not continue unless they are truly dedicated to the hobby. Now if they hit some good boxes right from the start then I can see them continuing. If they don't get the desired results and find two's and few's I can see enthusiasms disappearing especially if they have tried the banks that you have already hit and come out of it with nothing but your rejects or no halves available at all.

CRH'ing has been around for a very very long time. People have been doing this for years and years. I spoke to a guy in his late 60's who was CRH'ing in his teens. He had some very intersting stories to tell. My point is this will still be a great hobby for years to come. Keeper coins are always going back into circulation.....maybe not at the rate they have been in the past. We all know that silver coins are limited and I do believe that over time they will be harder and harder to find because they are a limited source.

Like I mentioned earlier, personally, I do not think this article will have much effect on any of us. Keep plugging and good luck to all.

BTW - I thought the article was very well written.....informative. Hats off to you John..........well done!!!!

Happy Holiday to all and most important..........have a safe one!
 
Re: Article in W&E Treasures

Im not so sure - in my opinion, this country isnt as big as some of you are seeing it.

I can look on Google Earth, and basically see 1/4 of my whole state has been covered
by me alone. ONE person haha.

When I looked at it like that, I realized that just ONE person makes a huge difference
in an area. Now think of 2-20 Boxes per week, per person being ordered all over the
country, and you can see why silver coins just disappeared in mass, in just a few months,
without huge publicity.

Yes, new silver is introduced daily into the stream... but thats gonna get reintroduced into
the Fed system somewhere, and most likely be nabbed up by a couple hunters alone - IF it
makes it out of the bank in the first place.

Id say all of us CRH'rs that hunted the last 2 years, were reaping the rewards of all the silver
dumped into circulation, during the low silver prices, when nobody was interested at a couple
$$ per ounce. The prices went up, we all got motivated, and raked it in. Basically, the
circus is coming to an end.

There will "always" be silver out there somewhere, but the days of HUGE scores are about over.
Except for the random lucky find of a recent collection/estate dump etc.

To say this article wont have much of an effect on CRH'ing is ridiculous. One person has plenty of
effect. I wont be tutti-frutti about it - this "scripted" happening started about a year ago on here, and ended with this. Preplanned, signed and delivered. I couldnt figure out the exact agenda prior, but
knew there was one..... too funny. Anyone left here that even can put 2+2 together ? LOL I mean really,you cant publish a story about a few people finding a few 40% can ya ? That would be too boring to print. You need BANZAI madness to give people TREASURE FEVER :)

I wonder if they would like "my" story. Ill send it over haha.
 
Re: Article in W&E Treasures

Raptor686 said:
I wonder if they would like "my" story. Ill send it over haha.

Send it over. Send a PM if you want.

If you truly have a story, you bet I'd be interested.

John (the author) :-)
 
Re: Article in W&E Treasures

Raptor686 said:
To say this article wont have much of an effect on CRH'ing is ridiculous. One person has plenty of
effect. I wont be tutti-frutti about it - this "scripted" happening started about a year ago on here, and ended with this. Preplanned, signed and delivered. I couldnt figure out the exact agenda prior, but
knew there was one..... too funny. Anyone left here that even can put 2+2 together ? LOL I mean really,you cant publish a story about a few people finding a few 40% can ya ? That would be too boring to print. You need BANZAI madness to give people TREASURE FEVER :)

I wonder if they would like "my" story. Ill send it over haha.

This is truly hilarious. Thanks for the laugh....especially the part about being scripted/agenda....preplanned....signed and delivered. Where did that come from? Where ever it came from....it was funny. But I am curious about just how you came up with that one. That surely is a broad statement to make so maybe you care to elaborate? ??? You can do it here or in a message to me...either way works for me. You say your not being tutti-frutti but you really are are being tutti-frutti by not saying what is really on your mind......MAN UP!! Don't beat around the bush. What is this scripted agenda...preplanned...signed and delivered notion you are conjuring up???

I was approached for this article. I didn't approach anyone. I didn't even know the article was out until I was contacted by some members here. I just happened to find this site by chance for MD'ing purposes. After spending some time browsing I found this "coin roll hunting" section and decided to give it a try & had some success doing it. There are alot more folks out there that have way more success. It is all innocent Raptor so maybe you should just back off a bit.

It is okay to have a difference of opinion of how this will effect CRH'ing in general. I have no problem with that at all. I will listen to everyones points on the subject and maybe learn a thing or two. That was how I learned to CRH....by listening to others....the "old salts" as I have referred to them in the past. They were generous enough to share their knowledge. When newbies came along.....I helped them as much as possible. It is a great hobby so why not share knowledge. The only reason I can think someone would not share knowledge on the subject is greed. That is not my MO.

So if you think there was some agenda...plan or whatever.....that is your peragative & opinion to which you are entitled....but still funny I must say. Is sour grapes playing into this.....I sure hope that is not the case....geeeez....that would be very immature!!! But then again.............

Anyway quit that tutti-fritti stuff and MAN UP!!! ;) Like I said...here or in a message....either works for me.

Again....Happy Holidays to all and may the silver pour down on you.

LJ
 
Re: Article in W&E Treasures

Don't worry about it LJ. You were one that helped me decide to CRH, and I appreciate all your good advise.

As for him saying <<this "scripted" happening started about a year ago on here, and ended with this. Preplanned, signed and delivered. I couldnt figure out the exact agenda prior, but
knew there was one..... too funny. >> I didn't know CRh even EXISTED a year ago.

But, it sure is fun. :-) Thanks again for helping me learn about it and alll your good advise on the boards. I wish you continued success.

And a Merry Christmas.

To all.

(And to all a good night.)
 
Re: Article in W&E Treasures

I wouldn't worry too much about competition, everyone. In time, the silver will dry up, but there's still some out there. Enjoy the hunt.

I can't wait to get a copy of this article. You belong to history now, LJ! hahaha. ;)
 
Re: Article in W&E Treasures

lejeuene said:
Raptor686 said:
To say this article wont have much of an effect on CRH'ing is ridiculous. One person has plenty of
effect. I wont be tutti-frutti about it - this "scripted" happening started about a year ago on here, and ended with this. Preplanned, signed and delivered. I couldnt figure out the exact agenda prior, but
knew there was one..... too funny. Anyone left here that even can put 2+2 together ? LOL I mean really,you cant publish a story about a few people finding a few 40% can ya ? That would be too boring to print. You need BANZAI madness to give people TREASURE FEVER :)

I wonder if they would like "my" story. Ill send it over haha.

This is truly hilarious. Thanks for the laugh....especially the part about being scripted/agenda....preplanned....signed and delivered. Where did that come from? Where ever it came from....it was funny. But I am curious about just how you came up with that one. That surely is a broad statement to make so maybe you care to elaborate? ??? You can do it here or in a message to me...either way works for me. You say your not being tutti-frutti but you really are are being tutti-frutti by not saying what is really on your mind......MAN UP!! Don't beat around the bush. What is this scripted agenda...preplanned...signed and delivered notion you are conjuring up???

I was approached for this article. I didn't approach anyone. I didn't even know the article was out until I was contacted by some members here. I just happened to find this site by chance for MD'ing purposes. After spending some time browsing I found this "coin roll hunting" section and decided to give it a try & had some success doing it. There are alot more folks out there that have way more success. It is all innocent Raptor so maybe you should just back off a bit.

It is okay to have a difference of opinion of how this will effect CRH'ing in general. I have no problem with that at all. I will listen to everyones points on the subject and maybe learn a thing or two. That was how I learned to CRH....by listening to others....the "old salts" as I have referred to them in the past. They were generous enough to share their knowledge. When newbies came along.....I helped them as much as possible. It is a great hobby so why not share knowledge. The only reason I can think someone would not share knowledge on the subject is greed. That is not my MO.

So if you think there was some agenda...plan or whatever.....that is your peragative & opinion to which you are entitled....but still funny I must say. Is sour grapes playing into this.....I sure hope that is not the case....geeeez....that would be very immature!!! But then again.............

Anyway quit that tutti-fritti stuff and MAN UP!!! ;) Like I said...here or in a message....either works for me.

Again....Happy Holidays to all and may the silver pour down on you.

LJ


Hey Bonnie! Who is writing your posts now? Your last two responses don't seem to follow the "style" of the majority of your past posts. Where is your trademark "ha" after every couple of sentences?

You're gettin too serious now. Gimme a "HA"! and Smile. You're one heck of a CRH'er!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom