31.2 KB · Views: 136
  • 0501131029.jpg
    0501131029.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 126
  • 0501131031.jpg
    0501131031.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 129
Upvote 0
Pretty sure its a very worn down Morrow mountain point made of rayholite.
The stem looks thin but the rest looks pretty stacked in the photos.
That rayholite is pretty porous and doesn't fare very well in water.. did you find it near a creek.

Last edited:
Pretty sure its a very worn down Morrow mountain point made of rayholite.
The stem looks thin but the rest looks pretty stacked in the photos.
That rayholite is pretty porous and doesn't fare very well in water.. did you find it near a creek.

Gator I find that often times true. Other times, it comes out of the water pristine. I wander if its like granite. Some grades are better than others. By the way, you nailed the ID. Looks like erosion took many years toll on one side.

You probably nailed it too.
It might also matter how much time it spent in moving material VS buried.

Dang. I showed this to another forum. One guy usually IDs the material every time. He said he couldn't figure it out, thought it might be slate. He also thought the stem was intriguing. I didn't find this. I got it out of a collection, having a lot different materials. I think it looks like something you'd find on the beach or in water.

Dang. I showed this to another forum. One guy usually IDs the material every time. He said he couldn't figure it out, thought it might be slate. He also thought the stem was intriguing. I didn't find this. I got it out of a collection, having a lot different materials. I think it looks like something you'd find on the beach or in water.

I'm not calling you wrong at all. Slate is layered, but normally pretty hard. It could have sustained damage from fire at some point in its life as well. You seem pretty up to par on your lithic call.

What is it? A piece of sedimentary rock eroded down to resemble an arrowhead. Nothin more to it.

Some water found rayholite looks pretty bad.. check this one out.

ForumRunner_20130502_191607.png

What is it? A piece of sedimentary rock eroded down to resemble an arrowhead. Nothin more to it.

His first pic looks like an artifact. I do think you called it right though. The other 2 look like eroded rocks from a steep bank. If it is an artifact, it's a waster. 30 years late finding it.

I really don't think it's rhyolite, b/c of the breakage planes. A highly fissile rock breaks easily along the cleavage; for example, shale, slate or phyllite. Mother nature may have formed this rock somehow like RGINN said. Here's a picture of the metamorphic rock, phyllite, which shows the cleavage planes. Yall think this looks like the material?

Attachments

• phyllite.PNG
    phyllite.PNG
    304.7 KB · Views: 116

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back