At Pro Silver setting.

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this setting on another site, don't know if it's been mentioned here or not....anyway it's works good for trashy parks if your looking for silver..

Pro Custom....notch everything out from 75 under
Sensitivity......all the up, wide open
Ground Balance....Auto

I just tried in a trashy park that I usually hunt using the stock coil and was pretty happy, it cuts down on a lot noise such as foil and pull tabs making everything from pennies to quarters easier to identify, after a couples hours of hunting I did walk away with a little over $6.00 in clad and pennies.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is no secret. Silver being very conductive will sound off way up in the numbers. Notching out all below a certain Point just lets you concentrate with what does make a noise. Most places won't allow full sens. So you have to adjust that some.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One caveat with this is that you will miss some silver...in particular, the ones that are next to trash. My "trashy park" has been well hunted. I'm still finding silver (mostly dimes, including Barbers) there, but most of it is masked by trash. I dig the bouncy signals because of this. The cherry picking has already been done.

OP
OP
Potts

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One caveat with this is that you will miss some silver...in particular, the ones that are next to trash. My "trashy park" has been well hunted. I'm still finding silver (mostly dimes, including Barbers) there, but most of it is masked by trash. I dig the bouncy signals because of this. The cherry picking has already been done.

I ordered a Garrett at gold 5x8 dd coil from Bart this week, will be getting it in on Friday was going to order one in July but never did went water hunting instead. We have 3 local Parks in the area loaded with trash and will be re-hunting them with the 5x8. We also have an area just outside of town that contains a number of old cellars, working that site with the Stock Coil is very difficult because it's so over grown with trees and vegetation I think the 5x8 may help out better.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 5x8 will help out a lot in the trashy spots. In my park there are tons of aluminum screw caps that make hunting with the large stock coil a bit difficult. These, when flattened, sometimes ring in like silver at 78-84. I do the "DD" wiggle with my coil back and forth to tell if it is a screw cap. 9 times out of ten I can tell if it is a cap by the sound. One tip with the 5x8 is to go slow and methodically.

OP
OP
Potts

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 5x8 will help out a lot in the trashy spots. In my park there are tons of aluminum screw caps that make hunting with the large stock coil a bit difficult. These, when flattened, sometimes ring in like silver at 78-84. I do the "DD" wiggle with my coil back and forth to tell if it is a screw cap. 9 times out of ten I can tell if it is a cap by the sound. One tip with the 5x8 is to go slow and methodically.

Thanks for the tip..The ones that really gets me are those old rotted ones that needed a church key even with iron auto on I find them hard to identify them hopefully with the 5x8 they will come out better. I'm going to add as friend if that's OK...

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, that is fine:). I don't like to use too much discrimination, because many different kinds of goodies will get missed (pocket knives, badges, relics,etc). I search more by tone than VDI, using it only as a reference.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this setting on another site, don't know if it's been mentioned here or not....anyway it's works good for trashy parks if your looking for silver..

Pro Custom....notch everything out from 75 under
Sensitivity......all the up, wide open
Ground Balance....Auto

I just tried in a trashy park that I usually hunt using the stock coil and was pretty happy, it cuts down on a lot noise such as foil and pull tabs making everything from pennies to quarters easier to identify, after a couples hours of hunting I did walk away with a little over $6.00 in clad and pennies.
That's called "cherry picking"...I do it when I get tired of hearing all that noise at a real trashy spot.

OP
OP
Potts

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's called "cherry picking"...I do it when I get tired of hearing all that noise at a real trashy spot.
Using the 5X8 DD coil in a trash areas can be called cherry picking unless you dig every mid tone you hear.

paul of Penna

Feb 1, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado umax
Garrett AT PRO
Vibrapaobe Pinpointer
Whites Classic III
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tell me.....just how many pull tabs will you dig for a gold coin or ring?
Paul of Penna

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I was on a "ring quest" I dug a ton of pull tabs.:BangHead: I would guess the average is over 100-200 tabs,per ring found! I quit hunting rings for a while and notched them out! If you want to go deep for silver,use as little discrimination as possible. I run Pro Zero mode with 0 disc. and notch out the targets I want to pass on. Also run the ground balance about 5-10 numbers below what it balances out after you "pump"it!:thumbsup: Run the sense as high as you can stand to run the machine at, (a little chatter sometimes) and you will go as deep as the coil will reach!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell me.....just how many pull tabs will you dig for a gold coin or ring?
Paul of Penna
That is hard to tell as if you are in a location where gold rings aren't plentiful you can dig many pull tabs, but the one you pass up could be the one. Best to hunt locations where people are active and fingers might be slippery.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is hard to tell as if you are in a location where gold rings aren't plentiful you can dig many pull tabs, but the one you pass up could be the one. Best to hunt locations where people are active and fingers might be slippery.
Good advice!:thumbsup: If I was hunting a beach,I would dig almost every signal I got!:thumbsup:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is no secret.

Best quote here! Remember, the more descrim you use the less depth you will get out of your machine. Less noise is not always the answer.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lookindown said:
You cant handle the truth.

No doubt. I'm in the 1000 tab per ring count at least if you don't count the Junkers.

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Bart said, you want to go deep, don't go overboard on the Discrim...

Hendrix

Jan 8, 2007
Southeast Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Whites V3i
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No doubt. I'm in the 1000 tab per ring count at least if you don't count the Junkers.

I don't track pulltabs, but I've dug 1,029 coins so far this year and 5 rings. So I dig 1 ring for every 205.8 coins that I dig.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread