Back Chassing Neglected lower tones at school. Late 1700s permission bottles, ihp.

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Started with a Minelab xterra 505. Then Equinox 600 with stock coil, xl coil and sinper coil depending on circumstances. Now use a manticore.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went back to the school my detecting friend did a lot and dug anything below a memorial penny signal. There weren't really any signals above it that I could find. Maybe I'll go back with big coil. Got an old button, a brass buckle with iron tang, a bride pattern silver plated spoon and a near garment clip with dove holding branch and a dragon fly. The knife and tiny flat button came out of creek I found the real in. Signals there have dried up it seems.

Then I went to an overgrown late 1700s permission and really struggled with the high grass and poison ivy (still itching) to find much besides wheat cents. Then an 1893 Indian popped out. Ok I'll take it. Idk how my detecting friend is getting old stuff at like 10 inches holed coin, 1841 William Henry Harrison campaign token. Dug out my big coil and went back. Well my week old Garrett pro-pointer stopped working properly. So not much detecting. Took a walk to end of the lot since I've never been there and noticed a curious scattering of bottle shards, ceramic shards and lantern parts in front of the porch. Hmm curious place for a dump. Then I realized what likely happened. The porch looks like it had 2 steps down off it and they were now gone. The dirt from digging the porch footings was spread out and the steps installed right over it. So all these years this stuff was somewhat protected from the elements and kept out of view. I started scraping at the dirt and out popped a cabin style ink. Moved around more dirt and found an earlier crude bottle. By then my detecting friend came over and we took turn on the small area with his pin pointer. Lot of nails but he got a ball button and I got a green gem button.

Attachments

• 20210728_191723.jpg
    20210728_191723.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 130
  • 20210728_213558.jpg
    20210728_213558.jpg
    757.7 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Upvote 18

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love that garment clip! Great finds!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice suspender clip. Do you have a picture of the Harrison token?

OP
OP
RatherBeDigging

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Started with a Minelab xterra 505. Then Equinox 600 with stock coil, xl coil and sinper coil depending on circumstances. Now use a manticore.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks all. I've pretty much exhausted the usefulness of my sniper coil in here in the most areas where the grass isn't too bad. Have one small area left my friend hadn't done much. Cant really detect the center where the grass is almost to your knees. Waiting for this to get mowed. Anything in the shorter grass areas is just too deep for a small coil. Went back with my stock coil and my new pointer stopped working. Pointers 2 me 0 this month. Got a Mason jar lid at 10 inches. And then stumbled across the bottle and shard area. There is good stuff here just deep. Former resident pointed out location of the out house. Pretty obvious. Looks like someone tried drugging it before because there's shards in junk around the tree near it but it looks like 1950s stuff. Guess they didn't do really deep?

AS REQUESTED THIS IS THE WILLIAM HENRY HARRISON TOKEN. NOT MY FIND BUT MY FRIENDS THAT DOES THE SAME SITE SOMETIMES. You can see the 1841 on the bottom and the log cabin with flag. It's also holed.
Resized_Resized_20210721_171403.jpg

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are cool. There are so many varieties. Here is one I found, but it has an 1840 date.

Attachments

• Harrison Front.jpg
    Harrison Front.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Harrison Back.jpg
    Harrison Back.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
RatherBeDigging

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got my original Garrett pro-pointer back from service center today. Looks like I can actually hit that permission with my stock coilk and a functioning pinpointer. Hopefully my friend leaves me something.... because I can't get there until Monday.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread