🥇 BANNER Back in the Game - 1875-CC Twenty-Cent Piece!

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although I had been out detecting often enough, my finds so far this year had come slowly - a trickle off several corroded coppers over the past few months and a worn-out Barber dime. One of the coppers found a few weeks ago was particularly bittersweet; it was a 1795 or 1797 Liberty Cap half cent with lettered edging. Sorry - I didn’t have the heart to post it. Mother Nature and long exposure to New England’s acidic soil had done its worst to Ms. Liberty. Despite my best hopes, the corrosion was too much. :sad1:

On my last outing, I made one stop at an old mill site that offered nothing but a lamp top and hunks of ferrous material. I left after an hour or so. Lately, I’ve had some difficulty in scouting for new promising sites, but the sparse finds at the mill prompted me to try for new prospects. Back in 2017, I had recovered a rare Native American pewter trade pipe from the 17th century in a wooded area that surrounded a later-period barn site. Sadly, much of the area had been recently lost to a new residential development, :sadsmiley: but an adjacent property looked equally promising. I had stopped by several weeks before to enquire about permission, but had to follow-up for a definitive answer. I felt some reluctance as I knocked on the front door owing to my appearance after digging earlier in the damp thickets surrounding the mill site. Covered in dirt, I only needed an orange jumpsuit and the sound of approaching bloodhounds to present the perfect image of an escaped convict. Happily, the property owners remembered my prior visit and were very welcoming. They kindly gave me permission and wished me luck. :sunny:

I wasn’t expecting much in my search. I was just happy to be searching near the approximate area where I had recovered the pewter trade pipe two years earlier. After recovering only one plain button after a half-hour or so, I dug for a signal near an intersection of stone walls. Surprisingly, a Victorian-Period cufflink with gold gilt and a glass stone came out of the hole. It was missing its clasp end, but I soon found that as well only 12” away.

P6190661.JPG

Instinctively, I searched further around the immediate area and came upon a solid signal (90 on the Deus) just a few feet away. I cut out a thick plug and pinpointed a clump of soil that produced a large silver coin. It had been a while since I’ve seen anything like that! I glanced at the dirt covered coin and could see a Seated Liberty figure. I was very happy having recovered my third Liberty Seated quarter in 30 years of detecting – or so I thought. I went on searching and recovered a 19th century tractor part, i.e., an ox shoe, an odd round disc of brittle pewter, and little else worth mentioning. The property owners were wonderful. I showed them what I had recovered and was invited into their home – straight to the kitchen sink to rinse the Liberty Seated quarter for a better look. I could barely discern the apparent date of 1875 on the coin. I was kindly invited to return another day to search further.

Upon returning home, I delayed examining the coin until I could do so with my 10-year-old son Matthew. When the time came, I grabbed a lamp and magnifying glass and explained to him the particulars of identifying old US coins. I verified that the date was 1875 and looked for the all-important mint mark, which was CC for Carson City, Nevada. I suggested that my son look for the mint mark as well by looking beneath the eagle on the coin’s reverse. Now I’m the king of wishful thinking :icon_king:, and I thought that the size of the coin looked a bit off. I had one or two fleeting thoughts of a 20-cent piece when first recovered but dismissed such notions as nothing more than a wishful thinking. Oblivious to the odd appearance of the eagle, (I think I was quite tired by the end of the day), I pointed out to my son that the mint mark was above the “cents” located near the coin’s rim – “CENTS” on a supposed “QUAR. DOL.” coin. I finally got it when I saw “TWENTY.” :idea1: I said to my son, “Oh my god, this coin is a twenty-cent piece!” My son replied in disappointment, “Wait a minute - this coin is only worth 20-cents?” :icon_scratch: I explained that it was the coin’s face value and then showed him its collector value in an old copy of Red Book.

P6190817.jpg

P6190787.jpg

I didn’t hesitate at cleaning the coin with a brief cook of electrolysis – 30 seconds on each side of the coin and an extra 30 seconds on the coin’s reverse. I was very happy with the results and the coin’s overall appearance – no significant scratches or dings and just enough “LIBERTY” visible on the shield.

P6190833.jpg

P6190852.jpg

The twenty-cent piece coin was only minted for circulation for two years – 1875 & 1876; it’s the shortest lived denomination of all US coins. A few hundred were minted as proof coins in 1877 & 1878. The coins quickly became unpopular with the public, as the coin was easily confused with the quarter due to its identical liberty image and similar size, and I totally agree. It fooled me for a while, and I couldn’t be happier to have been mistaken! So I didn’t find my third Liberty Seated quarter in 30 years of detecting, but that’s fine by me. :icon_thumleft:

Good Hunting!

Last edited:
Upvote 161

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Man, you almost never see those get found. Amazing find, that is a rare coin that most of us will never unearth!!

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That’s gotta be a banner find

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, wow great find. Congrats:occasion14:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My banner vote is in. It's got to be one of the scarcest U.S. silver coins to find.

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My banner vote is in. It's got to be one of the scarcest U.S. silver coins to find.

Thank you for the vote. Agreed on the scarcity of these coins being dug. I don't believe I'll be finding another anytime soon.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice save and looks to be in real nice condition. Congrats

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You cooked it just right too! Came out beautiful!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post love reading it great finds ya never leave the game its just not always are time to win lol. Well done

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that would look really nice beside a gold thimble up in the banner[emoji38]

What a score, congrats!!!

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
STELLAR SEATED!!!!!! DEF a coin on MANY bucketlists!!!!!! CONGRATZ.... Vote going in....

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the beautiful coin! :occasion14:

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HIGHSTRUNG

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2019
Camden SC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS 9" HF Coil, Garret Pro-Pointer, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic find! Congrats!

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!!!!! A "CC" and a rare 20 center!!!!!!!!!! Awesome recovery!!!!! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread