🥇 BANNER Back in the Game - 1875-CC Twenty-Cent Piece!

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although I had been out detecting often enough, my finds so far this year had come slowly - a trickle off several corroded coppers over the past few months and a worn-out Barber dime. One of the coppers found a few weeks ago was particularly bittersweet; it was a 1795 or 1797 Liberty Cap half cent with lettered edging. Sorry - I didn’t have the heart to post it. Mother Nature and long exposure to New England’s acidic soil had done its worst to Ms. Liberty. Despite my best hopes, the corrosion was too much. :sad1:

On my last outing, I made one stop at an old mill site that offered nothing but a lamp top and hunks of ferrous material. I left after an hour or so. Lately, I’ve had some difficulty in scouting for new promising sites, but the sparse finds at the mill prompted me to try for new prospects. Back in 2017, I had recovered a rare Native American pewter trade pipe from the 17th century in a wooded area that surrounded a later-period barn site. Sadly, much of the area had been recently lost to a new residential development, :sadsmiley: but an adjacent property looked equally promising. I had stopped by several weeks before to enquire about permission, but had to follow-up for a definitive answer. I felt some reluctance as I knocked on the front door owing to my appearance after digging earlier in the damp thickets surrounding the mill site. Covered in dirt, I only needed an orange jumpsuit and the sound of approaching bloodhounds to present the perfect image of an escaped convict. Happily, the property owners remembered my prior visit and were very welcoming. They kindly gave me permission and wished me luck. :sunny:

I wasn’t expecting much in my search. I was just happy to be searching near the approximate area where I had recovered the pewter trade pipe two years earlier. After recovering only one plain button after a half-hour or so, I dug for a signal near an intersection of stone walls. Surprisingly, a Victorian-Period cufflink with gold gilt and a glass stone came out of the hole. It was missing its clasp end, but I soon found that as well only 12” away.

P6190661.JPG

Instinctively, I searched further around the immediate area and came upon a solid signal (90 on the Deus) just a few feet away. I cut out a thick plug and pinpointed a clump of soil that produced a large silver coin. It had been a while since I’ve seen anything like that! I glanced at the dirt covered coin and could see a Seated Liberty figure. I was very happy having recovered my third Liberty Seated quarter in 30 years of detecting – or so I thought. I went on searching and recovered a 19th century tractor part, i.e., an ox shoe, an odd round disc of brittle pewter, and little else worth mentioning. The property owners were wonderful. I showed them what I had recovered and was invited into their home – straight to the kitchen sink to rinse the Liberty Seated quarter for a better look. I could barely discern the apparent date of 1875 on the coin. I was kindly invited to return another day to search further.

Upon returning home, I delayed examining the coin until I could do so with my 10-year-old son Matthew. When the time came, I grabbed a lamp and magnifying glass and explained to him the particulars of identifying old US coins. I verified that the date was 1875 and looked for the all-important mint mark, which was CC for Carson City, Nevada. I suggested that my son look for the mint mark as well by looking beneath the eagle on the coin’s reverse. Now I’m the king of wishful thinking :icon_king:, and I thought that the size of the coin looked a bit off. I had one or two fleeting thoughts of a 20-cent piece when first recovered but dismissed such notions as nothing more than a wishful thinking. Oblivious to the odd appearance of the eagle, (I think I was quite tired by the end of the day), I pointed out to my son that the mint mark was above the “cents” located near the coin’s rim – “CENTS” on a supposed “QUAR. DOL.” coin. I finally got it when I saw “TWENTY.” :idea1: I said to my son, “Oh my god, this coin is a twenty-cent piece!” My son replied in disappointment, “Wait a minute - this coin is only worth 20-cents?” :icon_scratch: I explained that it was the coin’s face value and then showed him its collector value in an old copy of Red Book.

P6190817.jpg

P6190787.jpg

I didn’t hesitate at cleaning the coin with a brief cook of electrolysis – 30 seconds on each side of the coin and an extra 30 seconds on the coin’s reverse. I was very happy with the results and the coin’s overall appearance – no significant scratches or dings and just enough “LIBERTY” visible on the shield.

P6190833.jpg

P6190852.jpg

The twenty-cent piece coin was only minted for circulation for two years – 1875 & 1876; it’s the shortest lived denomination of all US coins. A few hundred were minted as proof coins in 1877 & 1878. The coins quickly became unpopular with the public, as the coin was easily confused with the quarter due to its identical liberty image and similar size, and I totally agree. It fooled me for a while, and I couldn’t be happier to have been mistaken! So I didn’t find my third Liberty Seated quarter in 30 years of detecting, but that’s fine by me. :icon_thumleft:

Good Hunting!

Last edited:
Upvote 161

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That’s a great American coin
Congrats

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
STELLAR SEATED!!!!!! DEF a coin on MANY bucketlists!!!!!! CONGRATZ.... Vote going in....

Thanks for the vote. My bucket list might need some updating. I'm still waiting for a three-cent silver and a silver dollar.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is one fine example of a rare coin. I had to buy the only CC coin I own:notworthy:

My banner vote is submitted!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! That is the first time I’ve seen a 20 Center posted. Incredible coin, definitely banner. Congrats!!

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one fine example of a rare coin. I had to buy the only CC coin I own:notworthy:

My banner vote is submitted!

Thanks for the banner vote and keep swinging till you coil gets over a CC coin. :walk: If a CC coin from Nevada can make it all the way to New England, then such coins could end up just about anywhere.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on an excellent coin. You just don't see those posted here very often.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolute BANNER simply because of the impossible odds of finding one. A Reale of some kind is WAY more likely to be found than a 20c! What a great coin in great condition, congratulations on not finding that quarter....:laughing7:

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and what a coin after the cleaning!!!! Incredible how it came out. I am not a coin expert but I'd bet that's worth a good 500.00! It's funny that I have such an interest in the value because I would never sell it if I found one like that! It's just nice to know!

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it weren't cleaned and didn't come.from the ground that's a $1000 coin easy.

Amazing find.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one seated I will probably never find. Huge congrats on a great coin

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome...and beautiful too. Congrats.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Great coin,

I'd love to get my coil over a 20 cent piece. They don't get found often.

Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread