🥇 BANNER Back in the Game - 1875-CC Twenty-Cent Piece!

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although I had been out detecting often enough, my finds so far this year had come slowly - a trickle off several corroded coppers over the past few months and a worn-out Barber dime. One of the coppers found a few weeks ago was particularly bittersweet; it was a 1795 or 1797 Liberty Cap half cent with lettered edging. Sorry - I didn’t have the heart to post it. Mother Nature and long exposure to New England’s acidic soil had done its worst to Ms. Liberty. Despite my best hopes, the corrosion was too much. :sad1:

On my last outing, I made one stop at an old mill site that offered nothing but a lamp top and hunks of ferrous material. I left after an hour or so. Lately, I’ve had some difficulty in scouting for new promising sites, but the sparse finds at the mill prompted me to try for new prospects. Back in 2017, I had recovered a rare Native American pewter trade pipe from the 17th century in a wooded area that surrounded a later-period barn site. Sadly, much of the area had been recently lost to a new residential development, :sadsmiley: but an adjacent property looked equally promising. I had stopped by several weeks before to enquire about permission, but had to follow-up for a definitive answer. I felt some reluctance as I knocked on the front door owing to my appearance after digging earlier in the damp thickets surrounding the mill site. Covered in dirt, I only needed an orange jumpsuit and the sound of approaching bloodhounds to present the perfect image of an escaped convict. Happily, the property owners remembered my prior visit and were very welcoming. They kindly gave me permission and wished me luck. :sunny:

I wasn’t expecting much in my search. I was just happy to be searching near the approximate area where I had recovered the pewter trade pipe two years earlier. After recovering only one plain button after a half-hour or so, I dug for a signal near an intersection of stone walls. Surprisingly, a Victorian-Period cufflink with gold gilt and a glass stone came out of the hole. It was missing its clasp end, but I soon found that as well only 12” away.

P6190661.JPG

Instinctively, I searched further around the immediate area and came upon a solid signal (90 on the Deus) just a few feet away. I cut out a thick plug and pinpointed a clump of soil that produced a large silver coin. It had been a while since I’ve seen anything like that! I glanced at the dirt covered coin and could see a Seated Liberty figure. I was very happy having recovered my third Liberty Seated quarter in 30 years of detecting – or so I thought. I went on searching and recovered a 19th century tractor part, i.e., an ox shoe, an odd round disc of brittle pewter, and little else worth mentioning. The property owners were wonderful. I showed them what I had recovered and was invited into their home – straight to the kitchen sink to rinse the Liberty Seated quarter for a better look. I could barely discern the apparent date of 1875 on the coin. I was kindly invited to return another day to search further.

Upon returning home, I delayed examining the coin until I could do so with my 10-year-old son Matthew. When the time came, I grabbed a lamp and magnifying glass and explained to him the particulars of identifying old US coins. I verified that the date was 1875 and looked for the all-important mint mark, which was CC for Carson City, Nevada. I suggested that my son look for the mint mark as well by looking beneath the eagle on the coin’s reverse. Now I’m the king of wishful thinking :icon_king:, and I thought that the size of the coin looked a bit off. I had one or two fleeting thoughts of a 20-cent piece when first recovered but dismissed such notions as nothing more than a wishful thinking. Oblivious to the odd appearance of the eagle, (I think I was quite tired by the end of the day), I pointed out to my son that the mint mark was above the “cents” located near the coin’s rim – “CENTS” on a supposed “QUAR. DOL.” coin. I finally got it when I saw “TWENTY.” :idea1: I said to my son, “Oh my god, this coin is a twenty-cent piece!” My son replied in disappointment, “Wait a minute - this coin is only worth 20-cents?” :icon_scratch: I explained that it was the coin’s face value and then showed him its collector value in an old copy of Red Book.

P6190817.jpg

P6190787.jpg

I didn’t hesitate at cleaning the coin with a brief cook of electrolysis – 30 seconds on each side of the coin and an extra 30 seconds on the coin’s reverse. I was very happy with the results and the coin’s overall appearance – no significant scratches or dings and just enough “LIBERTY” visible on the shield.

P6190833.jpg

P6190852.jpg

The twenty-cent piece coin was only minted for circulation for two years – 1875 & 1876; it’s the shortest lived denomination of all US coins. A few hundred were minted as proof coins in 1877 & 1878. The coins quickly became unpopular with the public, as the coin was easily confused with the quarter due to its identical liberty image and similar size, and I totally agree. It fooled me for a while, and I couldn’t be happier to have been mistaken! So I didn’t find my third Liberty Seated quarter in 30 years of detecting, but that’s fine by me. :icon_thumleft:

Good Hunting!

Last edited:
Upvote 161
OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolute BANNER simply because of the impossible odds of finding one. A Reale of some kind is WAY more likely to be found than a 20c! What a great coin in great condition, congratulations on not finding that quarter....:laughing7:

Thanks for the compliments. Agreed on the difficulty of finding a twenty-cent piece as they were only minted for circulation for two years - 1875 & 1876. That's a real narrow time span. I would guess that demand for the twenty-cent piece is strong among collectors of type sets. The type set would require the coin as it's distinct by its denomination, but there's only a two-year, single series production for this short-lived coin.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done old friend! That’s a damn hard silver coin to recover. I’d call that a BANNER find. I know you and I both like our finds to be much older than that coin but I’d love to find one of those my friend.

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow that is an awesome discovery! Very rarely is one of those coins dug. Not only super rare but great condition as well. Congrats!

rsilva02667

Jan 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Jim on another rare coin! That’s one that a lot of people haven’t even heard of let alone find.

TimberCrack

Jul 30, 2013
wyoming
Detector(s) used
white's 6000/D coin master
White's MXT
Garrettt ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats Jim on another rare coin! That’s one that a lot of people haven’t even heard of let alone find.

Definitely a banner vote...if you'll help me find one!!!8-)8-)8-)8-)8-)8-)8-)8-)8-)

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done old friend! That’s a damn hard silver coin to recover. I’d call that a BANNER find. I know you and I both like our finds to be much older than that coin but I’d love to find one of those my friend.

Abe: Thanks for the support on banner. Yes, we're both partial to the colonial period finds, but it's always a thrill to find any Liberty Seated coins whether it be a twenty-cent piece or any other such coin - half-dime, dime, quarter. I'm still hoping to find a half dollar some day. The area that produced the twenty-cent piece is only 200' from where I dug the 17th century pewter trade pipe. Some action during King Phillip's War took place in this immediate area with English troops getting shot and killed by Narragansett braves, :o so I'll be looking forward to a return trip. There's no cellar hole - just the ruins of some barns, but the area has so far produced three big finds.

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a banner vote...if you'll help me find one!!!8-)8-)8-)8-)8-)8-)8-)8-)8-)

Thank you! Does advice count as help? If so, research, research, and more research. Then power up your detector, say a prayer, and swing and dig until it happens! :headbang:

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jeff - I was admiring your banner find just last night. That recovery of Mass Silver is testimony to your detecting skills. I've had the good fortune of searching a few standing early 18th century homes. I've pulled a shoe buckle and some coppers over the years but nothing close to 17th century, as I think most of its there but just a bit too deep. Your Mass Silver is an incredible coin & and incredible recovery. May I ask what became of the coin? Mass Silver is the ultimate for detecting in New England. My last two Mass Silver was a clipped piece of shilling and a holed two-pence. Still hoping for another whole coin sooner or later. Speaking of avatars, check out the photo below. I found it about 30 years ago at the beach, which I don't hunt so much anymore; I just love the old stuff. I scraped most of the jewelry finds years ago (helped pay for a detecting trip to England), but I didn't want to part with this one find. 8-)

View attachment 1725299

That medallion is awesome!! Looks exactly like my avatar, which, believe it or not, I found on Good Friday in 2004, right across the street from an old church- meant so much to me I had it tattooed on my arm! As for the Pine Tree Shilling, I had made a promise to the homeowner that we'd sell and split anything significant- obviously that beauty was significant! I asked if he'd take cash and let me keep the coin since I am a collector, but he had no idea of its value and wanted no part of it- so I kept my word, had it certified and sold it at a Heritage auction- just under 2K. Made the 2009 W & E Finds of the year issue- pretty cool. PM me, I have some info to share.... Jeff

goldbill

May 6, 2009
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites v3 deus v4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations!! I found one a cc as well thirteen years ago and I still think Someone lost one why not two... I went past the site of my find a few hours ago and thought about trying a different area close to it .. My banner vote is going in Bill

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats id say banner for sure. Although a little jealous i must say

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve never even seen one before. That’s such an awesome find so, another banner vote headed your way. Good luck!

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That medallion is awesome!! Looks exactly like my avatar, which, believe it or not, I found on Good Friday in 2004, right across the street from an old church- meant so much to me I had it tattooed on my arm! As for the Pine Tree Shilling, I had made a promise to the homeowner that we'd sell and split anything significant- obviously that beauty was significant! I asked if he'd take cash and let me keep the coin since I am a collector, but he had no idea of its value and wanted no part of it- so I kept my word, had it certified and sold it at a Heritage auction- just under 2K. Made the 2009 W & E Finds of the year issue- pretty cool. PM me, I have some info to share.... Jeff

Jeff - Good to keep your word, but hard to part with the Pine Tree shilling no doubt. I figure you have plenty of pictures to remember such a significant find and that counts for a lot. Most of my best finds are almost always left in a safe deposit box at the bank, consequently, I'm left with admiring these finds by photos rather than the real thing. It appears you're on the Cape. I'll be there for several days in the coming months. Have you been to the Whydah museum? :skullflag::skullflag::skullflag: I worked on the Whydah back in the late 1980s. I'll send you that PM later this evening.

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finding that rare piece of American silver. That's banner for sure :occasion14:

Steve - Thank you for the high compliment especially coming from you. Not many members have posted Draped Bust Silver! :thumbsup:

Bryan1776

Jan 1, 2019
Ohio
Detector(s) used
WHITES MX SPORT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is my all time wish list bucket lister , besides a gold piece, can you feel me turning green with envy.... dam that's a nice coin, congrats!!!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that is amazing. I have never even seen one.

Dennis1209

Dec 23, 2018
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Etrac & NOX 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I keep hearing about the Nox. My buddy bought a Nox even though he already has a Deus. One for each arm? ??? I think the Deus exceeds all in target separation, but I've heard the Nox goes way deep.

I currently have two detectors, a $600.00 Nox 600, and a $1,200.00 Minelab Etrac. In my experience I have to honestly say the Nox outperforms the Etrac and at half the price. Here shortly I'll be adding to my equipment, and it will be a Deus next.Technology has really improved since I last detected over a decade ago. The Nox recovery speed is very fast and impressive, but from every Youtube video I've seen, the Deus is even faster. We likes us fast!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions