What's new

Backed Knife

rock

Gold Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2012
Messages
14,751
Reaction score
8,933
Golden Thread
0
Location
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I found this one the other day on a sand bar in a creek. It has some nice color and I wanted to show everyone what a backed knife looked like from my area. It is thick on one side with no flaking for it to be hafted the other side then has secondary work on it for cutting. It would of been hafted just like I am holding it. Thanks, rock
 

Attachments

  • 100_3620.webp
    100_3620.webp
    135.5 KB · Views: 162
  • 100_3623.webp
    100_3623.webp
    107.3 KB · Views: 136
  • 100_3605.webp
    100_3605.webp
    96.6 KB · Views: 151
  • 100_3625.webp
    100_3625.webp
    101.4 KB · Views: 150
Upvote 0
I thought I mentioned this already but, the material looks like basidian which is a cross between basalt and obsidian. Trouble is basidian is found out west. Google it and you will see several examples of basidian.
 
Walk across it if you have to..
Heck..swim.
I cross some nasty deep creature infested water when I hunt sometimes... I bet that tree will create some added erosion on the downstream side of it.
It should uncover new material.

Ill have to wait due to the muddy color of the water. It rained again today but I am still going in the morning anyway to that certain sand bar. Its only about 3-6 inches deep there and I believe I could still see even with the rain. I will find out.
 
Scan the bank too man..that water has been higher before and eroded things out...good luck.
Look closely at cut areas at bends in the creek..and behind large obstructions..like rocks. stups.ect.
 
I actually found most of the pieces rite behind a stump that was in the middle of the creek. I am guessing that spot was at one time dry land b/c of the stump in the middle of the creek. We dont have any types of trees that grow in water here.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom