Backyard mystery

Rock22

Sep 9, 2013
Erie Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20190918_184215317.jpg IMG_20190918_184202473.jpg IMG_20190918_184215317.jpg

Discovered this in my backyard the other evening by accident. I have only lived here for 2 years so new surprises from time to time.
It is dry-stacked brick around poured concrete. The bricks used are the same ones that make up my house. The house was built in 1951. I have no idea what this may have been so I need your help. My only guess is that it might have been put over the top of an old farm well but seems like a lot of work to cover an old well.
Thanks for your input!

Bill

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old shed fountation? Old cistern capped off? Old outhouse capped off? Very well done, to say the least. Sub :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How deep does it go? Are there any old pipes leading to it?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rock22

Sep 9, 2013
Erie Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Planning to work on it more this evening when I get home from work. I have a neighbor that will help me attempt to tip it over with a pry bar. Not sure if it is 2 bricks deep of concrete but if it is it will be a monster to move! I looked at old air photographs from Penn pilot from 1959 of my property and you can see it there in the backyard but difficult to see if it is a building.
I will update with pictures as soon as I can. Thanks again for the input!

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Old shed fountation? Old cistern capped off? Old outhouse capped off? Very well done, to say the least. Sub :icon_scratch:

Looks like a foundation to me as well. Smokehouse? Hobby shed?

How far from the house is it?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rock22

Sep 9, 2013
Erie Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is about 20 feet behind the house off of a back door. I have researched the land and this pad of concrete would have been directly behind the old barn that once stood exactly where my house now sits. From research it was a German bank barn. I have also discovered the foundation of the barn on the other side of my backyard. Planning to slowly excavate that as well this fall.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the foundation uses the same brick as your 1951 house, can we surmise that it is contemporary with the house?

Or was the house built with salvage bricks from the barn? I know they used to do that back in the day...

I'm also assuming that your house is "out in the country"...

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the pics, note the wear pattern on the surface. There is a 3 x 3 (ish) area that is still smooth.

I'm guessing it was not exposed to the elements for as long as the rougher area. Because it was covered for years by a brick BBQ grill...? Makes sense to me...

bbq platform.jpg

Upvote 0

dozer dan

Jan 14, 2008
PNW
Primary Interest:
Other
51C8FB8E-892D-4FDC-8CB6-C71A33BA1709.jpeg Could try a hammer drill and 1” concrete bit through the center and take a look inside.

on a side note, would anyone know why TN shows my comment post time as being on Iceland time which is 7 ours later than my local time?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the house now connected to a community sewer system ? I've seen old septic tanks filled with dirt, and the old access cemented shut.

Upvote 0

tahomatom

Sep 3, 2013
Sutter Creek, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di pro plus
Whites id beach hunter
Got rid of the Minelab pointer,
Then got a Garrett. Much better pointer.
Minelab Xterra 705
Ibuprofen
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm with the 1" drill or from a joint on the side. Get a laps cope from eBay for 15 bucks that plugs into your cell phone. Mine came 3' long that I use to peek into bottom of bee hives. Good quality picture that you can take with your cell phone.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rock22

Sep 9, 2013
Erie Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bricks were not from the barn. The barn was built in the 1870's as far as I can tell and I have found all of the giant stones that were its foundation in a back corner of my land. I have had them moved all around the front of my house as landscape decoration. I do live out in the country and yes there is an old septic system with a leach bed that were shut down about 30 years ago and the house is now on well and septic.
I did think at 1st that this could be an old septic tank but I do not believe that it is because I already know where those tanks are as they are much closer to the house.
The cooking thing sounds possible I guess. Didn't people have grills in the 50's? Seems like a lot of work to do to flip a hamburger but to each his own.
Plan tonight is to flip this thing over. Bomb shelter would be so cool!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rock22

Sep 9, 2013
Erie Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would explain why it was built so solid. It would have held a lot of weight just fine. Maybe I don't want to flip it over, good project next spring to build me a nice backyard grill.:laughing7:

Upvote 0

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
on a side note, would anyone know why TN shows my comment post time as being on Iceland time which is 7 ours later than my local time?

At the top of the page, go to Settings, then General Settings, then you need to select whatever time zone you are in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread