What's new

Barber Quarter and a few Flat Buttons

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2010
Messages
9,667
Reaction score
14,518
Golden Thread
4
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
4
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out for a rain shortened hunt last Sunday. The plan was to explore the area where I left off last time in the house rubble mound. The house rubblee mound is a pile of bricks and rocks that slopes down to the cow pasture. Last summer, the farmer had scraped a small section down a few inches revealing several targets. Last time out, I pulled a suspender clip and a fancy Benedict & Burnham (1834-1843) flower button out of the same hole just before I left. Sunday I returned to the same spot and promptly dug a flat button right beside where I was last time. At this point I started removing dirt, bricks, and rocks to see what else might be under this rubble. I ended up with three buttons and a Barber quarter. So this makes 4 buttons, a suspender clip, and a barber quarter out of this little area. Since the surface hunting is drying up, I guess I will have to work a little harder.

Here are my diggings before I filled it in.
_20160321_091755.webp

The Barber Quarter was under this rock which had a root growing over it.
_20160321_091530.webp

When I located the quarter in the dirt beside my hole, this is what I saw. Most of the stuff from this site is mid-19th century, so I was hoping for a Seated or a Capped Bust.
IMG_20160320_140819750.webp

No such luck. Darn Barber!
IMG_20160320_140836862.webp

Sunday's take.
IMG_20160320_163913609.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 46
Super silver!
 
Nice finds Steve .
BUT
You will never hear me utter "Darn Barber" Anything.
 
;) very good day for D tecting
 
Nice finds Steve .
BUT
You will never hear me utter "Darn Barber" Anything.
I got quite a rush when I saw the silver rim. I have dug close to 200 flat buttons from this place that date from the War of 1812 to the 1850s. i have dug quite a few large cents and early date indian heads. But the only other piece of silver was a 1903 barber dime. I really thought I was about to pick up an earlier quarter about the age of the buttons I was finding all around it. So I was a little disappointed, but I'll take it. I have already taken it to work then put it through the washer and dryer later that night. LOL. Luckily the zip lock bag it was in protected it.
 
Congrats, you certainly had to work for the barber. :occasion14:
 
Hope the site gives you an older silver Steve, but I wouldn't mind those buttons and a Barber.
 
I can understand the feeling, but still a great hunt. Funny how things from different periods end up co-located...
 
I can understand the feeling, but still a great hunt. Funny how things from different periods end up co-located...
I think the place was occupied until the 19teens. I have found two 1909 and two 1910 wheats there. Oldest coin was 1822 LC.
 
Steve I know what you mean about "Damn, Barber quarter". It's not that they're not nice, it's just when you're expecting something older upon seeing a silver edge at an old spot, it a bit of a let down.

Nice hunt and buttons
 
Congrats on a good save.
That quarter would have made my day.
By the way, I PM-ed you my address.
You can send me that DARN BARBER!! lol
 
Steve, the Barber is nice! When i saw the first pic, I thought you had started digging CW hut sites-LOL. WTG, Q.
 
Congrats on a good save.
That quarter would have made my day.
By the way, I PM-ed you my address.
You can send me that DARN BARBER!! lol
I'm starting to like it more now :laughing7:
 
That Barber Quarter is a great find.
 
Very nice looking Barber Steve.
 
I bet seeing that silver rim had the ol' heart beating good!!! Still a nice one bud. CONGRATZ....
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom