Woodland Detectors
Gold Member
- Joined
- Nov 23, 2008
- Messages
- 12,783
- Reaction score
- 143
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
- Primary Interest:
- Relic Hunting
truckinbutch said:Those striations on the taper indicate a bung tap for a wooden barrel to bite into the wood and help insure a leakproof seal .
Filling bungs were tapered from the outside in and the plugs were driven in after filling . Tap bungs on the other hand were tapered from the inside out and the plug driven in place during manufacture .
To insure no loss of contents the keg was tapped by holding the tap firmly against the bung plug and rapping it sharply with a bung starter ; simultaneously driving the plug into the barrel and seating the tap into the side with no loss of contents .
littleneckhalfshell said:Crusader wrote:
"Can you provide info showing its 1700s, as it would be interesting to update my grey cells?"
Here is testimony from a 1786 wreck
""Seadart Divers have been concentrating their efforts working on a wreck site off the Dorset coast in the UK. The wreck is of the ship Halsewell, a trading ship of the East India Company that was lost to a storm on the 6th January 1786. As "salvor in possession" Seadart Divers have always taken a keen interest in the archaeological side to our finds.""
See: http://www.seadart.net/gallery/treasure/05.html (for picture of Brass tap previously posted)
since the ship went down in 1786, it places that particular tap as a product of the 1700's (although it could be even older, since people continued to use things that were not broken)

4-H staff said:Oh my, I do believe that you have found it! I Don't think the one I found is brass but, same design. great job![]()
mojjax said:Here is some from the Civil War era -
http://www.historical-woodworks.com/large-brass-barrel-spigot---very-nice.html
the horizontal lines look similar to yours .
4-H staff said:Ed-NH, I just found this site but, I have found this stuff in a field across the road that should be same timeframe. I'll have to wait till they plow now the weeds are just too high to swing a coil.