Barrels in fast water

Have you ever tried flowing a Dredge down stream in fast water? It takes a lot of man power and constant communication....It makes no sense to take the gamble...I had a contract with a copter pilot who took my equipment and dredge in and delivered supplies and gas every two weeks...If your getting gold it is just an expense ...Art
Yes, takes a lot of man power. My buddy and I floated our 4" down a section of that river and it was pretty hard work. Took a couple of ropes, a pulley, some swimming, and getting in and out of the river several times. There are some areas of that river that there's no chance of floating. Will have to portage on occasion. Hopefully the water levels are low this year, you get on some good gold and don't have to float it until end of the season

hello! this is a frind of omni. the regs are no more than 15 hp and not over a 5'' suction but there is a way around that. by getting with someone that has Permits already. lol if you are a nice guy there may be room for you for about a week or so.

hello! this is a frind of omni. the regs are no more than 15 hp and not over a 5'' suction but there is a way around that. by getting with someone that has Permits already. lol if you are a nice guy there may be room for you for about a week or so.

Aw so he knows about dredging why dont you help ya buddy carry that motor is fun =]

I'm there, lets get suckin some dirt!
Buddy, I' going to go with the P180's, price is right and less hassle. Lets get your dredge done and in the water, I wanna see the suction you get with them and that tri-jet.

Hey Jack, littlenugget1 is my neighbor and friend. We should all get to gether and exchange info, have a few beers, chase some loose chicks...oh wait, we're all married so we cant have any beers!

Hey Jack, littlenugget1 is my neighbor and friend. We should all get to gether and exchange info, have a few beers, chase some loose chicks...oh wait, we're all married so we cant have any beers!
Sounds great, I'll see if I can sneak out

There are many styles of deer carriers that haul hundreds of pounds easily and a few miners make their own that are RIGHTEOUS-Unfortunately you can see that 1,320 foot vertical cliffs in the background of my pics and that 1 1/2 mile deer trail mandated all down and UP on our backs,no yaaaaa for 3 guys 2 solid days...This is a pic of one of the best made by CalGoldDredgerJohn,no longer posting here......John

Attachments

• WinchCart.jpg
    WinchCart.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 90
I considered building some kind of cart but not sure if it will help me out on the South Fork Payette river...It also has cliffs and I don't think most of them are navigable. I did consider using a zip line and a winch to control the "load" going down but mainly to get it up. I would have to have some kind of wireless remote to control it...plus I would still have the issue of getting up and down. This is a situation that requires 2 or more people. Back to floating it down river I guess. I'll use ropes across the river and pulley's and come-a-longs.

Hmm maybe I'll need to find a greenhorn that wants to learn dredging and get a cut...Or someone with their own dredge and we can team up to move each others dredge down river and set up close by...If I remember regs, you have to have 500' between ops. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Hey, what do you think the chances are of my dredge being stolen in deep canyons only accessible by the rafters? I would Hide it as best as I could and lock it up with chains. It would be left alone for up to maybe 3 days at a time. What I see more of a possibility would people vandalizing it.

There are many styles of deer carriers that haul hundreds of pounds easily and a few miners make their own that are RIGHTEOUS-Unfortunately you can see that 1,320 foot vertical cliffs in the background of my pics and that 1 1/2 mile deer trail mandated all down and UP on our backs,no yaaaaa for 3 guys 2 solid days...This is a pic of one of the best made by CalGoldDredgerJohn,no longer posting here......John

Thats sweet.. Going to have to make something like for my own .. But more slick in design for heavy wooded areas .

A picture is worth a thousand words . Keep um coming ..

I considered building some kind of cart but not sure if it will help me out on the South Fork Payette river...It also has cliffs and I don't think most of them are navigable. I did consider using a zip line and a winch to control the "load" going down but mainly to get it up. I would have to have some kind of wireless remote to control it...plus I would still have the issue of getting up and down. This is a situation that requires 2 or more people. Back to floating it down river I guess. I'll use ropes across the river and pulley's and come-a-longs. Hmm maybe I'll need to find a greenhorn that wants to learn dredging and get a cut...Or someone with their own dredge and we can team up to move each others dredge down river and set up close by...If I remember regs, you have to have 500' between ops. Does anyone have any other ideas? Hey, what do you think the chances are of my dredge being stolen in deep canyons only accessible by the rafters? I would Hide it as best as I could and lock it up with chains. It would be left alone for up to maybe 3 days at a time. What I see more of a possibility would people vandalizing it.
I have left mines here and i heardly see people around the river unless there is a small road through there. I be there early and leave late. When i see some weird fisher mans who i never seen before then i just hide things better or take it home. usually i could last a week or more without seeing someone cross by . I dont know over there here i know most people at least by face around my area. But i dont know how things work around there. Another tip i cover my dredge with tarp in the back of the truck for people wont know what i am carring & cut some bushes and throw it on top of the dredge to camouflage it with the surroundings.

Last edited:
I considered building some kind of cart but not sure if it will help me out on the South Fork Payette river...It also has cliffs and I don't think most of them are navigable. I did consider using a zip line and a winch to control the "load" going down but mainly to get it up. I would have to have some kind of wireless remote to control it...plus I would still have the issue of getting up and down. This is a situation that requires 2 or more people. Back to floating it down river I guess. I'll use ropes across the river and pulley's and come-a-longs. Hmm maybe I'll need to find a greenhorn that wants to learn dredging and get a cut...Or someone with their own dredge and we can team up to move each others dredge down river and set up close by...If I remember regs, you have to have 500' between ops. Does anyone have any other ideas? Hey, what do you think the chances are of my dredge being stolen in deep canyons only accessible by the rafters? I would Hide it as best as I could and lock it up with chains. It would be left alone for up to maybe 3 days at a time. What I see more of a possibility would people vandalizing it.
Some wheels could really help in some spots. There was a couple of times when I wished I had some going up and down those extremely steep slopes. Pulleys will be your best friend. Usually the bigger the pulley the more it will help you. I have the forks off my daughters old 18" bike that I'll be able to mount to my frame. Not sure how it will work, but should be great in theory.
A younger, stronger greenhorn would probably help more though. I've got my nephew, 21 and lifts weights. Lol
If I'm up there I'll help you out
When I was there I saw 2 dredges tied up in the same spot for at least 3 weeks. I left mine there for 3 days once. Both places would have taken a lot of work for someone to steal. However I did talk to a guy who had his 5" stolen off the SF. He should have seen it coming though since he left it in a part of the river you could easily access. I would be more worried about some greenie kayaker vandalizing it. The kayakers and rafters there aren't to friendly with the dredgers. They don't like seeing our dredges messing up their view. Whiners!

Found out this summer that they will burn:BangHead:

I considered building some kind of cart but not sure if it will help me out on the South Fork Payette river...It also has cliffs and I don't think most of them are navigable. I did consider using a zip line and a winch to control the "load" going down but mainly to get it up. I would have to have some kind of wireless remote to control it...plus I would still have the issue of getting up and down. This is a situation that requires 2 or more people. Back to floating it down river I guess. I'll use ropes across the river and pulley's and come-a-longs.

Hmm maybe I'll need to find a greenhorn that wants to learn dredging and get a cut...Or someone with their own dredge and we can team up to move each others dredge down river and set up close by...If I remember regs, you have to have 500' between ops. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Hey, what do you think the chances are of my dredge being stolen in deep canyons only accessible by the rafters? I would Hide it as best as I could and lock it up with chains. It would be left alone for up to maybe 3 days at a time. What I see more of a possibility would people vandalizing it.

Attachments

• Aspen fire 006.JPG
    Aspen fire 006.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 104
  • Aspen fire 007.JPG
    Aspen fire 007.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 89
  • Aspen fire 008.JPG
    Aspen fire 008.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 81
  • Aspen fire 009.JPG
    Aspen fire 009.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 81
  • Aspen fire 010.JPG
    Aspen fire 010.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 95
??? Was that your dredge? Looks like it was in a forest fire or something.

Jack, that's my biggest fear, people vandalizing it while I'm sleeping or something. I'm thinking I might just go up a week at a time, that way I could have 2 days to get in and out and 5 days dredging. Now if I can only convince my wife...

Winner, winner chicken dinner. What do you have to pay for a P180. Might make a deal with you

??? Was that your dredge? Looks like it was in a forest fire or something.

Jack, that's my biggest fear, people vandalizing it while I'm sleeping or something. I'm thinking I might just go up a week at a time, that way I could have 2 days to get in and out and 5 days dredging. Now if I can only convince my wife...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back