Barrels in fast water

Last edited:
Why do you think you may need a smaller box than 22? That's what my main box is on my 6" plus the 2side boxes are 16" each! And I'm running a standard jet for now anyways! I pan on changing to a double or a infinity jet later... But yea your right I can't hardly run my4" anymore because of how much more that 6" eats .. On the 4" you get the feeling your not doing anything! If I didn't have the increase of in the capability of work being done what's the sence of going bigger... But also another huge binifit is not throwing 4 and 5" rocks! Any longer

I'm not saying I will need a smaller box, "P" is. He has it in his head that with a infinity jet he will have less volume (if he goes smaller pump/motor) he will, and will need a smaller box. If things are done right with pump/motor/infinity jet, you can in theory process much more then a standard 6"

I thought there is a balance that why higher gpm for bigger dredges .. It will be like placing a 25hp engine on a 6" . When You could use the extra power for a bigger suction hose which is what really makes more gpm draw and move more material = more gold right But if you want a over

Last edited:
Sometimes over kill if for dredging deeper deeper longer hoses. And added devices on your dredge like high presure blast nozzle pump ect.. Sometimes we do it because it what we have and it's payed for!!!!!! Also for your info info theres a lot more than gpm that effect jets and flow rates ... Omni. I understand what your saying. In theory I thnk it's like this being the infinity jet is much more efficient you can do the same thing with less motor.. And it's right.. Thou at the end of the day you can only get out of your machine what ya put into it.. No matter how efficient pumps and jets are... I'm way over powered on my dredge for 2reasons I was tired of my4" being underpowered and I had the gx 670 already.... Just needed to machine the shaft. And it was better to do that than buy a smaller motor to make princedeleon happy ! Whil I could have gone to a 8" hose I already had a 6" jet and box to fit it.! And also,we have to play inside the laws where we play!
25' hoes .. I have 22 on my 4" and is a regular homemade jet. I was talking about the laws of physics and other laws that goes against overunity is what i meant. Normally you wont dredge deeper than 15-17' of water with 25' of hoes. Im tired of trying to explain commen sense . We all try to help others by making them feel right but no one want to tell them the truth. i bet their is people who actually know what they are saying and end this debate.

Last edited:
So I changed my mind again...lol
I'm going to buy 2 6.5hp HF engines and have the shafts threaded then I'll buy another Proline HP350 pump.
I really wanted to stay away from 2 engines due to hassle, fuel consumption and other factors but economics...$1100 or so for pump & engine or $600 for 2 engines and a pump. That allows me $500 to spend on other things!
I think I may have a line on some pontoons also.. I'm going to make some calls tomorrow and I'll know for sure. But sounds like they may have several sets and if so I'll post incase others are looking.

Omni, if you are going to launch/retrieve at launch areas commonly
used by driftboats, then there's likely a "turn around" service in the
area. They meet you at the launch location, and then ferry your
vehicle down to where you'll be taking out.

Usually costs about $20 (up here), but it's a great time saver and
you know your truck will be waiting for you at the take-out.

If you are going to use the Harbour Freight motors, I believe they have 3/4 keyed shaft, and the Proline pump is for a 5/8 threaded. Have the keyway filled, turned down to 5/8 and thread and are in busniess. Did Reed ever get back to you on the barrels?

So I changed my mind again...lol
I'm going to buy 2 6.5hp HF engines and have the shafts threaded then I'll buy another Proline HP350 pump.
I really wanted to stay away from 2 engines due to hassle, fuel consumption and other factors but economics...$1100 or so for pump & engine or $600 for 2 engines and a pump. That allows me $500 to spend on other things!
I think I may have a line on some pontoons also.. I'm going to make some calls tomorrow and I'll know for sure. But sounds like they may have several sets and if so I'll post incase others are looking.

Hahahah-briggs IC ,18hp electric start,keene hi dome special pump and keene single log jet in 20-35' a water for months on end. No problems ever,oops one paying taxes on all that poundage-John

Attachments

• 02-28-2013 07;09;35PM.JPG
    02-28-2013 07;09;35PM.JPG
    237.6 KB · Views: 108
  • 02-28-2013 07;15;44PM.JPG
    02-28-2013 07;15;44PM.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 149
Dizzy, I didn't think about that. That could be a savior actually.

Oak, awesome catch! I didn't even think about that! That's going to run up my overall price...so much for the savings ehh.

John, I would love to have larger pump motor combo but I have a budget to keep my wife happy. The 75# of engine weight is nothing to me, just a walk in the park, heck that 1 trip, 2 engines is 2 trip and I hate that. Plus the hassle of a cx exhaust system to make 2 engines quite....

He doesn't sell parts any more, plus it would be cheeper to buy a single engine pump vrs 2 pump/motors. Dahlke sells keyed pumps but its the same issue, 2x2= more money lol

I just talked to Jeff from proline...He said that 2- 350 pumps is barely enough to run a 6" as long as I'm not going down more then about 10'. He told me the 350 doesn't have the impeller to casting clearance to create lots of pressure. He recommended are a bare min. the 2 - 400's as they make much more pressure with 500's being ideal.

Here we go again...a new impeller for my hp350 pump is 184, new hp350 is 514, hp400 is 590... God you cant even say the word dredge without it costing you $1000!

Hey G, when you had your crank machined, did you have to pull the motor apart or could they do it as is? I'm guessing I can get both engine machined for around 75 each...

If you want to stay on the cheap... get creative and head to a junk yard, look for empty 55 gal drums and pack them with Styrofoam beads cap them up and use a glue gun to seal in the caps. then metal band secure them to your rig. Just an off the cuff redneck fix to the problem. :thumbsup:

Have you ever tried flowing a Dredge down stream in fast water? It takes a lot of man power and constant communication....It makes no sense to take the gamble...I had a contract with a copter pilot who took my equipment and dredge in and delivered supplies and gas every two weeks...If your getting gold it is just an expense ...Art

Never floated one down in fast water. I dredge alone as nobody likes me...or is it I don't like people :dontknow: In all seriousness I have always worked alone I don't know it that's going to change much. I was kidding about not liking people and such. It's most of my friends consider me ******ed to chasing gold...even though I turned a profit last year.

G, I was hoping not to have to tear engines apart, that kind of voids warranties but now that I think about it, grinding/threading the shaft isn't going to do warranties any good anyway. Oh also I was wrong when I said my box was going to be 22", it will in fact be 20", over/under I'm going to make sure I have a scalper in front, vortex in the lower section and I'm still considering trying GH mat up top. Looks like if I buy a nozzle it'll be around 300 but I may just build one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back