OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
anybody know if thom is out of the line of the fires

Thanks for the concern Tim,
That "Pine Ridge Fire came close but it was turned by the Colorado River.
It would have been really bad if it had jumped the river and continued on to the Grand Mesa and surrounding areas.
As it were the fire only came within 9 miles of me.

(Yup, we were sweating bullets there for a while.)
The whole thing is 98% contained now so no worries.

Thom

Last edited:

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
Fooxless, It looks like it could a number of things, I think if it shows 30 degrees north I would think its showing the the 4 directions, if its just up and down it could be a place of worship, a nearby mission perhaps, if its a trail sign then pick a direction and start following it as far as a league and see if you can find the start of another trail, it will be a lot easer if you have the exact compass degrees

arizonarock

Jul 5, 2012
Goldfield
Detector(s) used
eXp 4000 & Bionic 01 (GPS Metal Detectors)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found many large markings carved into the ground all over the southern/eastern end of Black Mesa and Western La Barge Canyon. Has anyone else seen these?

martin

Jun 15, 2012
rockwall tex
Detector(s) used
GTA 2500 by garrett
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
armadillos

At the request of Old Dog I am going to post this here as well. My brother found this sign here in Utah in the Diamond Fork Area near Spanish Fork Canyon. I have been reading a book by George A Thompson called "Lost Treasures on the Old Spanish Trail" and Diamond Fork as well as Spanish Fork Canyon are both mentioned as being on the Old Spanish Trail. It also discusses in the book a place called Teguayo which is said to be present day Utah Valley which had a lake called Copalla which very well could be Utah Lake as there was also another lake north of Copalla which was a Salt Lake, we know it as The Great Salt Lake. At any rate, please let me know what you think about this photo.

HEY tom on this picture I can see that Armadillo clearly. I am currently studying some sydmbols on a rock, this particular rock has two suns, one inside of the other. The sun rays are tryangular. But, after looking at them for a long period of time, it actually has four Armadillo's wrapped around the outside sun. But only by looking at it a certain way can you see the four armadillo's
Martin

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
HEY tom on this picture I can see that Armadillo clearly. I am currently studying some sydmbols on a rock, this particular rock has two suns, one inside of the other. The sun rays are tryangular. But, after looking at them for a long period of time, it actually has four Armadillo's wrapped around the outside sun. But only by looking at it a certain way can you see the four armadillo's
Martin

Martin,
The best, and really the only way to view signs objectively is to stand about 10 to 15 feet away from them and see them head on.
read them from left to right and don't stare, as this distorts them. they read like a book.
Staring and turning a picture all different ways will distort the message.
keep it simple and try not to add stuff. these things are hard enough as it is. LOL

Always keep it simple.

footxless

Jun 11, 2012
belen
Detector(s) used
garret ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will go out there soon there is a old rock building near by but i will take a pic of it with a compass and post thanks for the info

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
usernotfound, the only meaning that I have found for a V is 22 ( alphabet = 220 CM = could = the depth ) and the other meaning that I have seen it used is something covered, don't make any difference, upside down, side ways, all that I have seen have been something # 1 covered #2 directional.Stright up seems to work best as roman numeral or 5--- 50 --- 500,

Last edited:
OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
usernotfound, the only meaning that I have found for a V is 22 ( alphabet = 220 CM = could = the depth ) and the other meaning that I have seen it used is something covered, don't make any difference, upside down, side ways, all that I have seen have been something # 1 covered #2 directional.Stright up seems to work best as roman numeral or 5--- 50 --- 500,

Ernie,
The "V" is also used on markers and monuments to provide verification that it is an actual marker.
I have seen it used on face markers to show whether the eye or the nose is the directional pointer as well.
The "V" as a Spanish marker has a value of 5.

usernotfound

Sep 7, 2011
Detector(s) used
T-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talking about multiple meanings...

Here is a bear with a nose pointer. The open mouth is also part of a heart lobe outline. There is also a profile inside the bears mouth looking left. If anyone can mark these up... I would appreciate it. Attached also is a picture of...well I do not know what it is. Only educated guesses. Any help is appreciated. I'll share more if there is interest. Thank you.

Attachments

• Seal.png
    Seal.png
    235.9 KB · Views: 175
  • den.png
    den.png
    284.3 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:

footxless

Jun 11, 2012
belen
Detector(s) used
garret ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have found a very interesting sign near the cross i found can any one tell me what it means. 101_0403.JPG

usernotfound

Sep 7, 2011
Detector(s) used
T-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snake, considered to be a danger sign...wouldn't be surprised if there is a water source in the direction of travel. Considering the wave looking sign.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have found a very interesting sign near the cross i found can any one tell me what it means. View attachment 652872

That snake could also be the distance marker. Measure the length from the nose to the tip of the tail, in a straight line. If the snake is on the side of the stone, the value is in Spanish feet. If on the top of the stone, the value is in varas. Multiply the value by 10 for the total value. If the snake is on a convex surface, multiply by 100 instead of 10. If the snake is in a concave area, the measurement is in feet, regardless if it is on a vertical or horizontal surface.......still multiply by 100. If the head and tail are on the same level, go in the direction the head is indicating. If the tail is higher than the head, go in THAT direction.

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Snake, considered to be a danger sign...wouldn't be surprised if there is a water source in the direction of travel. Considering the wave looking sign.

The water sign is a good possibility considering the almost wiped out top wave making a set of three. the bottom wave says exercise caution and gives direction of travel as well as possible distance.

Nice catch guys.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread