OP
T

trailrider

Dec 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
garret gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMAG0127 (5).JPG IMAG0126 (5).JPG Huge boulder 'bear-head' monument on the higher trail leading to cave/mine . I'am looking for Yogi-bear, the bear that is smarter then the average bear. I remember watching that cartoon as a kid. Yogi was always being chased by the Ranger of 'Yellow Stone Park' for stealing the campers picnic baskets. He had a cave for his home in Yellowstone Park where he would hibernate for the winter. NOTE: If the bear is leading to an old Spanish mine, then it is a MAJOR DEATH TRAP WARNING!

Last edited:

hadji009

Dec 29, 2008
illinois
nice bear, post 200.the duck looks like the eye also has a V? besides the 1 on beak.i think snake is distance,what do people say when u say i saw a snake, they usually say how long was it,or finder would say it was 3ft long.and the snakes at the site i am at are distance.

OP
OP
T

trailrider

Dec 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
garret gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMAG0140 (4).JPG IMAG0136 (4).JPG These huge monument boulders were found within a couple hundred feet of the cave with the 'bear-head' {DEATH TRAP WARNING} over it. That is one large 'cross' carved on that monument boulder. Notice the yellow marking on the 'right-side' of 'cross' boulder. There was the same yellow marking found on the 'hoyo' and large boulder below, on post #190. The boulder below the 'hoyo' with the yellow marking also had a carving of a 'cross' on it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

trailrider

Dec 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
garret gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMAG0150 (4).JPG Found on east canyon floor.

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bear.jpg I have a few of these at one site. Im still scratchig my head what to do with them.

OP
OP
T

trailrider

Dec 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
garret gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMAG0153 (4).JPG IMAG0154 (4).JPG Strange monument found on east canyon floor. The point of the cut triangle shape on top of the monument pointed up the bank to the cluster of markers in close proximity of each other, post #213

Last edited:

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
-------------- How would one enter a cave like this and avoid getting bit? #1 {if you are a believer, ask for GOD'S protection and that HE will give you a constant 'awareness' to recognize any 'snakes' that you may encounter.} #2 Check for any hollowed-out nooks on the floor, walls, and ceiling of the cave as you go. #3 Carry a forked stick with you about 5-feet in length, to fend off any snakes. #4 Be able to see as far in front of you as you are able. #5 Carry an extra flash-light with you, and make sure the flash-lights are bright enough to see well. #6 Carry a 'snake-bite' kite with you. #7 If bite by a snake, [DON'T PANIC]. Get away from it and then use the 'snake-bite' kit as soon as possible. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The 2 photo's of the green Mohave snakes ......

Unfortunately, tip nos. 6 and 7 will do you little if any good if bitten by a poisonous reptile. The snakebite kits, even the Sawyer Extractor, are notoriously ineffective and can even worsen the victim's situation by providing a false sense of security. If struck, get to a hospital immediately for medical treatment. Period. Often, a surprised rattler will inject little or no venom if he strikes you defensively. Don't panic - get to a doctor. If the snake is coiled and buzzing, watch out - his venom sacs are full. You don't have to believe me about the snakebite kits - ask a doctor familiar with venomous snake bites for the facts. I got my information directly from an ER physician at a Tucson hospital who has treated many. By the way, a Mojave bite may be a death sentence - even with medical care. Time is of the essence.

OP
OP
T

trailrider

Dec 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
garret gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately, tip nos. 6 and 7 will do you little if any good if bitten by a poisonous reptile. The snakebite kits, even the Sawyer Extractor, are notoriously ineffective and can even worsen the victim's situation by providing a false sense of security. If struck, get to a hospital immediately for medical treatment. Period. Often, a surprised rattler will inject little or no venom if he strikes you defensively. Don't panic - get to a doctor. If the snake is coiled and buzzing, watch out - his venom sacs are full. You don't have to believe me about the snakebite kits - ask a doctor familiar with venomous snake bites for the facts. I got my information directly from an ER physician at a Tucson hospital who has treated many. By the way, a Mojave bite may be a death sentence - even with medical care. Time is of the essence.
Yes I agree will you anyone bitten by a snake should get to a hospital as soon as possible, even if they used a snake bit kit. The snake bit kit would only help in drawing out some of the venom and not all of it. And it has to be used almost immediately after receiving a bite. The longer you wait, the more venom gets absorbed into the body. Also deeper the bit, the less effective the snake-bite kit would be. So if you successfully drew out only a little of the venom it may make a difference, that could save your life. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The best thing would be 'PREVENTION'. What are the many different things that we could do to prevent from being bitten. #1 AWARENESS. #2 PREPARATION, etc. I've been lucky so far that I have not been bitten yet by a snake. I've came very close to being bitten several times and {each time} it happened, was when I wasn't paying attention to look out for them. Got to occupied in other things that caught my attention. AT THOSE TIMES I LOST MY AWARENESS. Will talk about this more latter, and share some of my stories of how I AVOIDED getting bite by a snake when I was USING AWARENESS. If anyone else would like to share their stories how they avoided getting bite. I call this safety awareness. Thanks for the great information, it could save one of our lives.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

trailrider

Dec 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
garret gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMAG0187 (5).JPG IMAG0188 (5).JPG IMAG0189 (5).JPG IMAG0190 (4).JPG View attachment 785789 View attachment 785790 View attachment 785791 View attachment 785792

THIS NOTICE IS REGARDING THE POST #111 BY CASCA. In the 3rd and 4th paragraph down (originally posted by trailrider). The part about using a crow bar to check for loose sections of rock hanging in a mine/cave ceiling. This was in a natural cave, not a mine and I was told that the crack in the ceiling was the result of someone who dynamited in the past. The actual person who dynamited told me this, so I knew it was not a DEATH TRAP. And the only reason that I pried at this crack in ceiling is after tapping it heard a hollow sound and thought it may be loose. It was very loose and a large section of rock came down.
The only reason I did this is because we were working directly under it digging and was very concerned that this huge section of ceiling would fall on us. I did it at my own risk. DO NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE DOING THIS, VERY DANGEROUS! In many mines and cache sites there are DEATH TRAPS set up in the ceiling (downfall boulders), that are unstable and ready to come crushing down.

Last edited:

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
.... I've came very close to being bitten several times and {each time} it happened, was when I wasn't paying attention to look out for them. Got to occupied in other things that caught my attention. AT THOSE TIMES I LOST MY AWARENESS. .....

I'll wager you found your awareness the remainder of the day after your close call.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
COOL BEAR. I think your will lead you to a cave. This bear is going down hill or because his head is lowered, 'maybe saying that as you enter this cave, you have to lower your head' or maybe he is looking directly at a covered cave entrance?. Look for other bears, bear-heads etc. And if found, pay very close attention, trying to understand what message the stone-cutters were trying to say. What are the positions of the bear, standing, sitting, looking and at what? What is the bear doing? What is the expressions on the bears face? etc, etc. Imagine the habits of a real-live bear. Look for symbols. By interpreting what the animal is doing, will help you find direction and what to look for. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Where ever you may find a natural cave, there could also be other 'cave-entrances' that the Spaniards covered over. Look for other markers near a cave, that could be directing you to a covered entrance. Follow the direction of the fissure where the open cave is located. Along this fissure is where to look for a suspected hidden entrance. Sometimes the Spaniard's would find an extension of the fissure from the open cave that had a crack to small to pass through and then they would widen it. Then cover it over, not placing many 'death-traps' in it or 'no-deaths-traps' in it. It would be the safest entrance. This way, the searchers of their mines would be drawn to the heavily 'death-trapped' open cave. When it came to their gold mines, the Spaniard's were very clever and sneaky. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- A natural cave is much safer to enter then a man-made mine. Because the rock wasn't blasted or cracked, which can cause 'cave-ins'. But still be on guard if any 'death-traps' exist.
And if after the Spaniards entered the cave system and found an exposed vein and worked it, then that part of the cave is as dangerous as any mine. If in any mine or cave, carry with you a 'crow-bar', tap the ceiling in front of you as you go and listen for 'hollow-sounds', especially if you see any cracks. The danger is where the cracks and hollow sounds are found together. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Stand-back as far as you can, then place one end of 'crow-bar' in the crack and pry until you release the 'CRACKED SECTION OF THE CEILING', to drop it to the floor. When it comes down, it will come down so fast you wouldn't even see it coming. 'IT WILL DROP LIKE A FLASH', so make sure you are far enough back. Get a longer crow-bar if necessary. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Remember the area you found and it was talked about. If you have the means: All you have to do is get 'ground-penetrating-radar' and look for the 'vault'. They are located approx. 75 feet from the mines. The book by Kenworthy , 'deaths traps to treasure', also talks about these 'gold-rooms'. Don't forget {if you are a believer] to ask for CREATOR'S PROTECTION AND HIS WILL IN ANYTHING YOU DO. ''HE IS ABLE'' ''THE KINGS FILES'' '''THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE''

Found a cave below, very cool, looked like a alter in it. Had some back fill areas, and large statues of child and a man, in some sort of a ritual. I have a glazed part of the wall facing into the cave rear. Will need to spend some time here figuring this out. Believe your input is good, and have one of Kenworthys book which I just started to read. Have found many wonders here, just wanted tp share the bear. Here is the cave:
cave2.jpg cave3.jpg backfill.jpg

The Green Mojave is very hard to see, it blends in very well. It will let you get very close before it moves. It is rumored to bite then rattle. It does not back down, had one 4' foot from me while I dug a hole. Stayed there the whole time, I was glad to get out of there.

My last monument has eyes closed, mouth open.......its in the cave with the F75 if you want to see it. What to do? Any ideas?

I have noticed lately the eyes can take shapes, like a heart also. Very cool.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casca:
I lightened up that back shadow area and increased the contrast a little bit. There are a LOT of
small symbols, like you said, so I only tagged a few. That rock with the heart and large "Z" is a
good example. There are many other things there, but I didn't tag any more that the heart and
"Z". Those black symbols on that bottom stone had me wondering if you'd outlined some in
black for better viewing. That white runoff stuff looks like a big bat with the runs lived there or
was passing through. LOL Is that a duck head on top of the big stone, next to the bat poop??
Could it and that lady's profile be bracketing that vertical place in the back wall that I tagged??

EDIT: I forgot to mention the own.

Casca cave with backfill Merged.jpg

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of little signs

Hi SS, Trailrider, Trails I am going to go back and search for sure. Had loose dirt under rock my Md was leaning against. SS you have good eyes, and caught some things I did not. Im looking at taking a tablet with me to process my pictures on site from now on. I usually carry enough tools to do small digs. Who ever was here before left his signature. I don't think he was looking for treasure. The white stuff on the rock belonged to a pair of owl's. They were very large, and have a nest in the next hole over. They scared the you know out of me when they came out of the same hole I had my head stuck into. SS, take a peek at my avatar when you get a chance and see what is there.......it was a rough climb and now I got to do it again. Lots of good info here guys, thanks.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casca:
I just rechecked my notes folder and found that a "Z" is one of the "pozo" signs. That small heart is aimed at it and if the duck's head is saying go in the opposite direction than the bill is pointing and that face profile is looking at something important......then something must be bracketed between the two.

If you had a steel probing rod you could use it to check under that stones in the photo without disturbing their positions. Probing rods are used by many THers looking for old outhouse pits and buried trash dumps. They are good for finding previously disturbed ground. When a hole is dug and then filled back in; that soil is never as dense as it was originally. You can tell it by using a probe. Something like a 4 foot steel rod of about 5/16 to 3/8s inch in diameter. Weld a cross bar to one end for a "T" handle and sharpen the other end. Yep, another piece of equipment to lug around. I would vote to care IT instead of a laptop.....more useful on site. :coffee2:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning. I try to read up on as much as I can. I have found my own style and find plenty. I post my finds when I'm done with them. I look forward to applying kenworthy to my searches. I would say the bank is empty. But just heard of a chest being found. So who knows. The ceiling here contains large boulders and you can see sky. You drop them your dead. You would not get to treasure either. I have a portable drill with 3 foot bit on it. I use a compass like a magnometer. I have learned to use mirrors. I am sure I have found yet another mine. As SS suggested I don't disturb stuff. I have just been given another lead of a old fort, and one place where old armor was found. I dont think there was as much gold as is reported in a lot of areas. I sample down stream and get no silver or gold in the pan. So I do what I am good at, getting the pictures.

Oh, as for carrying a probe, the holes I get into are usually very difficult, and you have very little to probe. I keep hitting solid rock walls. I also miss the signs as they are not visible to the naked eye, only after I get them on my camera. So why I considered a tablet with me, as it would fit in my pocket.

SS, your note about duck has me wondering about a rather large one I found the other day. All I found in the hole was carved faces. But in the opposite direction I found a white triangle of rocks on the ground, and a ink stain drawing of a priest. When ever I find the priest, I usually am close. Can I ask what reference gave you the info about the duck, and changing directions?

I have a roughly 100' foot per side triangle and not even sure where to start with them.

Last edited:

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casca:
I'll have to look back through my notes file to find the duck info, but in the mean time, here's an excellent
post that Old Dog put up about a year or so ago, concerning triangles and how to decode them.
Enjoy,

A triangle will be determined by which corner is most southerly and which is most northern
Corner #1 will be the south corner
Corner #2 will be either east or west in relationship to #1
Corner #3 will be the most northern of the group.
triangles will always be oriented that way if they are Spanish.
The rules regarding triangles were set up by royal decree ... those were the rules. Period.
these guys followed the rules.

Using the triangles for distances and directions:

Just after Christmas I said...

After the 1st of the year I will explain some of the ways the Spanish marked caches and gave directions to them.
Meanwhile guys...
if you are feeling inclined to dig a hole please don't do it under a sign.
Get a two box and see if it is worth it. the cost of the detector will save your back so much in the long run, it will be worth the money.

This combination of simple signs will give distance to cache sites.
Cache sites are almost always marked with a triangle. using the triangle is the method of finding the cache.
By measuring from the center of the corners and summing the total of the sides you will have a distance to the cache.
To achieve the direction to measure the distance the primary or motherly corner of the triangle must be determined.
Using the standard formula laid out by information Kenworthy got from archives in Madrid you will measure in a "due" direction from the motherly corner. Due North, due South, due East or West.

The motherly corner will be determined by signs read before even finding the triangle. There will be a series of three letters or numbers. such as CBA , 321.when found this way the primary corner is the #3 corner as the alphabet letters indicate numbers.
A=1, B=2 and C=3 . The first number (if all are the same size) is the primary or motherly corner.
Many times I have seen them presented as ABC with the A or the B as Very large in regard to the standard size.
I have seen the same with numbers as well. The larger number will be the primary or motherly corner.

The triangle will be laid out with the first or #1 corner being the most Southerly. The #2 corner will be the next most Northern but will be either East or West of a straight line drawn to the #3 corner which will be most Northern.
Any triangle found with no number sequence, the number 3 or Northern most corner is motherly.
NOTE: (if you are using a compass to determine due north, learn where true North is for your area, a compass uses magnetic North and that will change from year to year.)

This system follows a set of rules as laid out by Royal decree.
The Spanish adhered to it implicitly.

I would use a two box detector to determine if there is a good target before digging.
If there is no target try tripling the distance.
Another rule from Madrid says any number involving a triangle is tripled.

There are triangles that follow a different set of rules and are marked differently.
I'll discus those in another post.

You must use Spanish inches and feet to measure and you must be precise ... off by a couple feet might as well be a mile.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually have physical 3d triangles lol. But no worrys, i suspect I know where the Triangles are taking me. I hope to get back to vault site soon.

OP
OP
T

trailrider

Dec 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
garret gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMAG0209 (4).JPG Skyline monument rock-outcrop, on bank of south canyon. Have 2 barking 'dog-heads' carved on the top of the huge boulder in center. The sky outlines both of the barking 'dog-heads'. The 'dog-head' in the center looks like a hound dog, because of his big long ear. Can not tell want type of dog it is on the right, but it is a smaller breed then the hound dog. You can see the smaller dog's ear is protruding down backward from behind his head at a 45 degree angle. We heard of the white and black guardian dogs, guarding the cache. Could these canines be the guardian dogs, guarding the 'Kings cache'?

''THE BARKING DOG ROCK MONUMENT'', 'even the rocks begin to sing. THE KINGS FILES

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well SS will tell you I dont always see what others do, and for some reason I still find the trails and the monuments. So far, Kenworthy and most other advice I have been given applies to all I do see. I have not dug many holes as I am not experienced in doing so. The stuff I find I dont worry about someone else finding. I am finding certian distance for example being used over and over again. Also its not hard to see what signs are saying after you see them over and over again. Some sign are so subtle that most wont know what your talking about. SS made a good point of getting chalk and outlining some sign, or at least the ones I look at. You also have to figure, folks have been using Kenworthy type treasure nooks for a long time. So if you want to find anything, you need fresh eyes. Even if I had access to Waybills of Mexico City or Spain, I could not read them or cypher them out. The copper plates that Doc Noss supposedly burned would have contained info he didnt want to be known. So as things get buried and lost, there is some stuff books and signs wont help with. At one point you need to let go, and have faith. Thats my secret, thats when I find the good stuff. Now I dont always recognize the good stuff at first.

As stated by Trailrider, you start out from a distance and find the sight stone, the U, the finger rock, I have seen and told of many ways. As you work in you go slow and low as a Turtle........you will see a sign eventually that will draw you away from your course. Now you have to be careful here.

You will be working with many trials, so you need to know which trail you are on. There is at least 3 trails, maybe one more. I am only concerned with one trail. The information given in this and other threads is very good stuff when it comes to changing direction and following a proper trail. I could write a book on Trails alone, so will move on.

You then come to a gallery, a stone sculpture garden of sign. You are in the heart of it. This is where you are looking for one particular trail. Forget mines, caches, and triangles. The sign you look for is under ground. It will not be marked at its exact location. It will be hidden. If you pay attention you will start to see empty holes. The bank is empty people. You are looking for the small hidden personal caches of the travelrs and workers who did not want to take valuables into the mountains.

You are looking for what the Indians hid after the Spanish left. You are looking for outlaw gold, Pancho Villa's gold, KGC gold and the such. After you have searched an entire area throughout, you can then look for a vault or treasure room. You have to have the whole trail before you can confirm the mine/vault/cache. You need to know how they constructed these, how deep they put things, Death Traps are real.

What is a Death Trap, a ledge that crumbles beneath your feet and you fall off the mountain pass. Bee's, snakes, poison dirt that makes dust. The process they used to smelt the bars could kill you. The hole in the floor you dont see, called a adit. Smothering air, bad gas, and much more, like a ton sized boulder balanced on a pebble aimed at the hole.

Im going digging folks, and will share that with you. I will show some of the techniques I use like a probe SS has mentioned. I will show you empty holes. Im gonna show you Rattle Snakes too. Im not going to write any books, nor explain my thinking as that has changed over the years as I gain experience.

What is the truth today, is a lie tomorrow. I will try to take good photos and explain what I have with my limited experienced. All you really need is a good set of boots, a walking stick(lucky), water, and a camera that fits in your pocket. Stay out of mines and holes. You know your close what it looks like the mountain is gonna fall on your head. Take lots of pictures and study them when you think they are touched by the hand of man.

The Spanish were excellent navigators, miners, and builders to some extent. You have history that is not in the history books yet also. Many people have worked the same areas, and those workings are dangerous. But if you study some geology, they cant hide that. They cant hide 400 years of mine tailings either. Look for those folds in the mountain, the v notches, the U shaped markers. You will soon see other markers. The trick is to look and train your eyes.

The camera processes things so much faster than your eyes, you wont see what is right in front of you. I have my suspicions how the Spanish got around that. If I just took one sign, and followed it all day, I could produce great pictures. The bear is new to me, and I love it. My favorite is owls, you find a pair of Owls and you have enough of the trail then to start finding stuff. But if you like Turtles, do Turtles. Dont see many bears, but been seeing a bunch of ducks.

Maybe SS and Trailrider can give definitions of bears, what they mean? I mean a good list. California the gold state uses the bear for its state flag. Symbols are carried over and used again and again. I bet they mean water and good hunting ground. Maybe strength, and danger. What do you guys believe a bear symbol means? Do you think the meaning changes if its a carved rock, or a etching on a wall? Im getting excited now, my boots have cooled long enough. I got to go.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My understanding is the hole is near? Dog represents whose gold it is. Worth checking out anyway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread