best two box?

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The TF 900 Discovery its a little better than the 808 whites but almost identical. The TF 900 has a ground bal I believe. Never cared for the Garretts ones but havent used the newer ones for the Garrett 2500 series. However the Garretts are less expensive if you have their detector also.rwd mo

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
the tf 900 cost me $495.00 postage included. whites will cost more but same unit. if i remember correctly the folks that were making both units sold the 808 to whites and they changed the names of the switches etc. and placed their decals on it.
if you buy the tf 900, you can also download whites instructions which may help some.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi BLB878,
Here is a review of some 2 box units.
www.detection.com/Deep/howdeep.html
There also was some info awhile ago about a discovery tf1200 2 box but I have'nt heard anything else about it for awhile.
Jon

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see you already have a 2500 so i would suggest Garrett...I use a masterhunter cx plus w/ depth multiplier..This is not your average grab and go type of detecting, there is a considerable learning curve involved and it takes quite a bit of trial and error before you get to be proficient with a two-box detector...I used mine to locate old 55 gallon metal barrels that the early snowbirds at Norris Lake used for septic tanks...I had a friend in the excavation business and TVA made him to clean up the mess everytime he plowed up one of those old barrels, so knowing where they were saved him time and money...unfortunately with the slump in the economy, he had to sell his equipment and take a job----

F

Franklin

teleprospector said:
Hi BLB878,
There also was some info awhile ago about a discovery tf1200 2 box but I have'nt heard anything else about it for awhile.
Jon

I would advise against using these test as a basis for buying a deep seeking detector. I have never seen any two box pick up any metal even the size of an automobile at a depth of more than 5 to 6 feet. I have used the 808, gemini-111, and the garrett's depth multiplier. The pulse induction I have never used but by the test posted I would say they will do no better than 6 feet. I have not had one to go more than 5 feet. My Garrett 14 inch head will go almost feet four inches without the two box attachment and I trust it more. I would like to purchase a larger coil but I have been unable to find one? I believe my next detector will be the maxi-pulse

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Franklin said:
teleprospector said:
Hi BLB878,
Jon

I would advise against using these test as a basis for buying a deep seeking detector. I have never seen any two box pick up any metal even the size of an automobile at a depth of more than 5 to 6 feet. I have used the 808, gemini-111, and the garrett's depth multiplier. The pulse induction I have never used but by the test posted I would say they will do no better than 6 feet. I have not had one to go more than 5 feet. My Garrett 14 inch head will go almost feet four inches without the two box attachment and I trust it more. I would like to purchase a larger coil but I have been unable to find one? I believe my next detector will be the maxi-pulse

Well, I'm not endorsing any particular unit, I thought he might like to take a look at the review.
He did'nt specify what he meant by a "larger" object.
For what I hunt for, I like Discovery's tf 900 and also the portability of the Gemini III.
My methodology is the use of dowsing rods, then follow up with a 2 box and/or my Cortes, which has been good to me for the size of targets I go after.
Maybe after reading and researching, he will select another type of unit than what he thought would work.
Jon

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI franklyn: Ya don't suppose there was nothing deeper where you looked? snicker.

Nope, the tf 900 will go down 20 + ft on a refrig sized object. However, whatever you get, be sure that you get a ground neutralizing one.

The main reason for a two box is that you can cover much more ground with it in a given period of time , say 6 ft wide sweeps / passes, and they do not have to almost be in contact with the ground which can be a problem with grass, weeds, or brush and a standard coil..

Frankly, I would need a fantastic story to dig even 6 ft. So far I have never seen anything deliberately buried more than 4 - 5 ft, especially in the case of a single man burying something.

For serious ''treasure hunting', they cannot be beat. For coins and smaller objects, they are almost useless

Don Jose de La Mancha

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own a cx plus with the box loop attachment it will go down about 12 or so feet on a culvert 4 foot around and 20 feet long there one buy my house i did the test on. Fisher is what you want, that thing you can do more with it than any one of them. I would get the fisher. My garret is real easy to use but that a bout it. Mine found me lots of deep copper...the first 3 month I made over 1,500.00 with mine.

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If you want to find something deeper than 5 ft. then you need a pulse with a 1meter x 1 meter antenna. they will go deeper than a 2 box. The good thing about a 2 box is they generally won't see any thing smaller than a pop can.A pulse detector will see it all small or big. They now have (radar) that drags a blanket of different sizes you buy and it puts it on a screen, they are very good only more expensive. what ever suits your budget. jmho

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
You listed your price range, but not dept or size of target. Here's my info from actual experience. Don't get the garrett, enough said on that. You want a 2 Box with seperate transmit and receive units. I use the Hays 2 Box which I picked up used for around $250. I have found targets at 6 feet and it might go to 12 feet. There are also some Gemini units on E Bay from time to time. The transistor units should work in similar fashion as the Hays. Don't get the older tube models! Whites made an older 500x blue 2 Box I know it would go 12 feet, I lost one in a fire. You would have to convert it to modern batteries, which is easy. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-3.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-3.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 562
  • hand print-2_edited-3.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-3.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 557

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread