Best underwater metal detectors...opinions, analysis and test results?

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
[h=2]I have copied this from the sub-forum for lack of responses...maybe no one has an opinion?[/h]

Like the title said...it is almost 2019...almost everyone I know is using Aqua Pulse detectors for underwater work from Maine to I have about 5 of them scattered on my work table awaiting a day when my attention span is sufficient to the task of testing and reassembly. We have one Minelab Excalibur that sees little use.
Here are my questions - Please, if you can, support your opinion with some test results or direct comparisons.
What do YOU think the best underwater detector for underwater saltwater use is?
Are there better detectors out there than the Aqua Pulse that are just, for some reason unpopular or unknown?
Is there new breakthrough technology out there that is going to make a difference or is the present equipment as sensitive as the laws of physics allow? If you look at the "detection range estimations" in 30+ year old brochures they are pretty much unchanged today.
It's chilly and windy outside here in Sebastian. If it's cold where you are, this thread can keep you from having to go out in that stuff!
What say you, amigos?​

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have copied this from the sub-forum for lack of responses...maybe no one has an opinion?

Like the title said...it is almost 2019...almost everyone I know is using Aqua Pulse detectors for underwater work from Maine to I have about 5 of them scattered on my work table awaiting a day when my attention span is sufficient to the task of testing and reassembly. We have one Minelab Excalibur that sees little use.
Here are my questions - Please, if you can, support your opinion with some test results or direct comparisons.
What do YOU think the best underwater detector for underwater saltwater use is?
Are there better detectors out there than the Aqua Pulse that are just, for some reason unpopular or unknown?
Is there new breakthrough technology out there that is going to make a difference or is the present equipment as sensitive as the laws of physics allow? If you look at the "detection range estimations" in 30+ year old brochures they are pretty much unchanged today.
It's chilly and windy outside here in Sebastian. If it's cold where you are, this thread can keep you from having to go out in that stuff!
What say you, amigos?​

Dang Bill, Wish I had some under water experience with my Excalibur, but alas, I don't.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On one of my old Gold Fever DVDs got from GPAA once, he sent his daughter underwater, in the cold stream of their motherlode claim in California. The detector used was the Excalibur and the stream clear a few feet deep with rocks covering the bottom. She came up holding a gold nugget, looked about 2-3 ouncer. I know those rocks can cut down your detection dept, not salt water but maybe the detector can do the same on underwater shipwreck sites?

Harvest

Apr 6, 2008
Daytona Beach, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Whites SL90, Surf PI, Minelab Excalibur 800
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have been using underwater detectors since the 80s the best is Whites ,they stand behind there products and warranty. My experience with minelab E excalibur the wire covering fell off and minelab responded with over a $350 cost to repair it , this was a common problem with that company with no help. My Whites Surf Pi. Cost around $800. The minelab Excalibur $1200, the Surf Pi by Whites outperformed th excalibur by 75% better. Go for the Whites
Thanks. Harvest

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When Whites PI first hit the market, people detecting on California beach surf... I think some rings at 14"-15" was common or almost too deep to recover. I don't know how they could get an accurate depth estimate on holes filling in with water but must have been deeper than other detectors at the time.

Last edited:

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Aquapulse is an old design, as is Pulse 8, Garrett’s Seahunter mark ll and mark 5. And just about any of the other underwater PI metal detectors made back then. They have not been changed to be sensitive to alloys. Spanish silver cobs, which have a small percentage of copper in with silver, and modern gold jewelry both of which are alloys. All those detectors in the first and second sentence have a pulse speed too slow to pick up alloys except at very close ranges, like right under the coil. I have worked side by side with all of those old school and they really cannot compete with a good PI. Excalibur is ok but nothing like a good PI. I have some that really go deep on alloys and tell you if it is rust or rusty iron. Whites newer PIs are some the best there is. If anyone wants to do a real in saltwater test on a cob or gold ring or any good alloy, likes small stainless steel washer,against any of the ones I said, let me know. I have some of those old school detectors and never use them. Waste of time. I have beach detected at some of the treasure coast beaches and had a ton of junk, like stainless steel nails- Corrigans is full of them, and many other hard to pick up stuff, and other Detectorist will ask if I found anything and I show them a pile of stuff and they say, “ I haven’t found anything!” And other places that others never find anything.

Attachments

• 91BBBE1F-19CD-4A3B-90A4-31DC5BB2E632.jpg
    91BBBE1F-19CD-4A3B-90A4-31DC5BB2E632.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 107

controlfreq

Dec 2, 2007
I recently got a hand held detector that looks like an oversized pancake flipper. Have not tried it out yet (dive trip fell through) but there is a guy on another forum that swears by his and he posts some pretty decent finds. The device is called a Scubatector. I had some Amazon points burning a hole in my pocket so rolled the dice. It's PI and also can function as a pin pointer. My main detector for wet mineralized environments is a Garrett Infinium which so far I'm happy with. Apparently no one else was though, Garrett stopped making it a couple of years ago.

Now having said all that, I don't believe these are going to come close to your Minelab or Aqua Pulse but wanted to help keep the conversation going... :)

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
AARC, I won’t use the JW Fishers Pulse 8X or Garrett Seahunter Mark ll or 5. They don’t pick up alloys at any range but very close. The detectors in the picture are my wife and I beach detectors, depending on the beach and what we are looking for. Closest is a Minelab Excalibur ll, second is the original Blue sword. Excalibur with a 15”. x 12” coil. Both of these are not PI but they can eliminate finding iron. Good machines, but not as hot or deep as the others on cobs or rings. But you don’t dig very much iron. Still sounds off on plated beer bottle caps, but they do have a distinct sound. Third is a Whites surfmaster PI that Bill Crabtree- Mr Bill, tuned faster, to what later became the Pi Pro. 4th is a Whites PI PRO. Fifth and sixth are Whites Dual Field PI. There are more in storage that never get used because they are not sensitive to Spanish silver cobs or modern gold jewelry. They are good for big iron chunks and beer cans. Not what I need. If anyone wants to do a compare, let me know.

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
image.jpeg
final clean 004.JPG
final clean 002.JPG

I've dug Silver from the seabed at apprx 10 inches deep, with my SH Mk-2

But I have no other machine to compare it too :(

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Capn Bill, our group uses Garrett Seahunter II's, but I haven't had a chance to play with one yet.

My personal machine is a Tesoro Sand Shark.

OP
OP
ropesfish

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Maybe we need to have a metal detector comparison at the Cookout....Hmmmmm....any manufacturers want to participate?

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Maybe we need to have a metal detector comparison at the Cookout....Hmmmmm....any manufacturers want to participate?

Bill that's a great idea. Kellyco has a display every year.

OP
OP
ropesfish

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bill that's a great idea. Kellyco has a display every year.

I don't know what Kellyco is going to be doing. I sure hope they come back...
In the last year or so, founder Stu Auerback died, the family fired Ray and sold the business to some people from Tennessee Knoxville-based Mollenhour Gross acquires Kellyco Metal Detector - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -
who then closed the showroom. I understand that now it is just another Internet ordering depot.
We shall see.

Just a thought...Maybe we could set up a detector test hunt...put out for instance, 60 buoyed locations with 40 blanks and 20 targets of various types at various depths in the sand...in this case the Indian River lagoon in a foot or two or 3 of water.
The detector being tested checks all flagged locations and comes back with their results or scorecard as it were. The results are checked against the master location list and we all try to figure out what it means.

AND - if there is someone who modifies detectors for better performance or someone that builds coils that improve performance, I would be interested in seeing those run the course as well.
Any thoughts?

Last edited:

1percenter

Oct 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Inside source said kellyco is going out of business. Kellyco has sold out. And I know of a couple that called looking for jobs. They were always good to us. But times change and money talks. Good luck to those out of jobs.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ropefish, use a 1/4” regular stainless steel washer. Epoxy it to the end of a 1/2” dowel. On the side so you can slide it in the sand underwater in saltwater, at a 45 degree angle. then pull it out when limit has been hit and measure at the same angle with a tape measure. Hold it against a walll or somethingwater and buried in sand compared to a good PI. Using a stainless steel washer. to hold the angle. Mark every inch and make it 3’ Long. I started thinking about your Excalibur. They would be better on silver cobs than the old school pi detectors, but not nearly as good as a good PI detector. Excalibur don’t go well in salt

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Water and buried under sand compared to a good PI when using a stainless steel washer, which imitates a gold jewelry ring or a silver cob. But better than an old school type PI detector.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve... you still drinking from New Years ? ? ?

:)

Excal no good in salt ? what ? huh ?

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I guess I'll weigh in with my limited .02...

imo...the best FRESHWATER gold sniffing Md hands down is the Tesoro Tigershark. I have literally hit on gold earring backs at 10" depth in sand/marl mix.

I also have a Minelab Excal 1000..Bluetube...hotter than the sun. Love it, great in saltwater and beaches....

BUT..... I dive treasure for a living, and use the Aquapulse 1b everyday.... NOTHING better for gold and silver when properly set up. I have consistantly pulled gold and silver coins at 15" + working at 100' and more. Like the igershark, she has a language all her own...you just have to learn to speak it.

ag

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Compared to a good PI no. About half the depth on a good day. I have 2 real good Excal. And 4 or more real good Pulse Inductions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread