Cristoforo Colombo Anchor

occy

Oct 21, 2012
St Aug
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal sword
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was recently in Jamaica, on a tour, that went by Discovery Bay (Puerto Bueno). That is where Columbus was supposed to have berthed on his second transatlantic voyage. There is a rustic, open air "museum" there, but the thing I took notice to, was an anchor on the side of the road nearby. Our tour guides said it is believed to be off a Columbus ship.
I heard about that "Cooper's Treasure" anchor off T&C they claimed to have found. I was just wondering if any of you have an expert opinion? I'll include more pictures and a good story if there is any interest....

20181104_145453[1].jpg

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Stories and photos are always welcome. We have a few folks here that might know something about Jamaica.

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely not an anchor from Colombus’ time period. Bob Marx had done some research and salvage near Santa Maria on the North coast of Jamaica and recovered a few artifacts that he attributed to Colombus but no concrete evidence that that provenance was accurate.

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, an incredible valuable artefact, such as an anchor from one of the Columbus fleet, is left rotting outside....

Coopers Treasure? Some well developed threads and opinions on that are on this forum.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes, that is a much more recent anchor. They started making anchors with a top bar of iron around 1850.

OP
OP
occy

occy

Oct 21, 2012
St Aug
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal sword
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well, here are the rest of the pictures anyway.... The story was that someone stole it a few years ago and the government put a halt to all metal scrapping operations until it was returned. I wonder if someone stole the original and gave this one back in it's place.

20181104_145459.jpg

20181104_145614.jpg

20181104_145538.jpg

20181104_145508.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread