Big, beautiful North American Placer!! Freakin fantastic!!!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Big, beautiful North American Placer!! Freakin' fantastic!!!

Unbelievable video of big North American gold nuggets + new finds, pics, videos added: a live thread, so please post your gold shots.
I'll add other videos or stills of big nuggety North American gold as I find them.

This video starts slow, but it's shot underground, so give it a while and then watch out that you don't have a freakin' heart attack!!

I hope you love looking at this as much as I did--every placer miner's dream come true. If you're a rookie, you'll get the fever bad watching this one. (To avoid any confusion, this is not my video, nor is it my clean-up, nor was I involved in any way--I found it by mistake after typing in a search word incorrectly [that's why I'd never found it before], but I sure do love it!!)

Almost 3,800 ounces in the last shot--fines are in the large plastic bags. 100 miles north of the Arctic Circle!

All the best,

Lanny

P.S. I posted it with my beginner's thread as well, but it's so great it deserves it's own place too.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

Last edited:
Upvote 2
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
While searching for large North American placer, I came across an interesting article.

How do you get a 134 pound placer nugget called the "Canadian Nugget", but find it nowhere close to Canada? Well, you find it in the mid 1800's, in a place called Canadian Gully in Australia!

And, then you give it another name--"The Leg of Mutton Nugget", so that it now has two names, but it's still the same nugget, AKA the "Canadian Nugget".

If you like to read historical stories of the discovery of large placer gold (there's another very respectable nugget that gets found in the same shaft), here's the link:

Daniel Russell - Australia's 134 Pound Gold Nugget

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Big, beautiful Colorado gold!!

All the best,

Lanny

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought you said that these videos you're posting would help get us through the winter months until we could get out to the mountains in the spring! After reading about them and seeing so many chunks of gold, my gold fever is boiling over Lanny. But don't stop posting on my account :laughing7:...I'll find a way to survive 'til springtime.......somehow!:hello: Thanks

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I thought you said that these videos you're posting would help get us through the winter months until we could get out to the mountains in the spring! After reading about them and seeing so many chunks of gold, my gold fever is boiling over Lanny. But don't stop posting on my account :laughing7:...I'll find a way to survive 'til springtime.......somehow!:hello: Thanks

I do confess--I've gone a little heavy on the rich side, and it does make the blood boil, but at least it's keepin' me warm: -20 tonight--that makes the water in the streams rock hard--far too hard to pan.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is the real deal from right here in my neck of the woods. Good old sassy Canadian gold right in the palm of my buddy's hand. I took this picture last summer.

IMG_2685_zpsba329fee.jpg

All the best,

Lanny

P.S. If anyone else has pictures of your North American gold that you want to post here, feel free. I'd love to see them.

3029heavy

Dec 19, 2012
Hot damm Lanny! Hey I deliver brand new semi trucks to Calgary and Edmonton regularly from the US. I always carry a large goldpan, small shovel, and a tiny little AM backpacker sluicebox in my carry-on bag. Does Alberta allow a US citizen to freely do any small scale recreational panning and sluicing? Or would I need special permits to sample from a roadside cut or stream?

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
3029heavy,

If you're up in Edmonton--dip a pan in the river that runs through it, in to it, and out of it--the North Saskatchewan. You won't need a permit to pan--anyone can pan. You will want to wait for the ice to leave though.

I imagine you'll have to find a bar to pan. The gold is flour gold--look for rocks fist-sized and larger in the bars. The gold will be in the top few inches generally. It can be plentiful, from what the guys I've met that pan for it up that way say--I've seen it too--right pretty stuff.

They actually had a bit of a gold rush in Edmonton a long time ago (starting in 1890)--the bar gold was plentiful back then. It replenishes itself in the bars as flood gold. Another stream is the Red Deer river--same story as to deposition of the gold--flour, very pretty stuff, but tiny. The glaciers did a profound job of grinding the Alberta gold in to a fine flour consistency.

It's the black gold that pays the big bucks in Alberta.

Other than that, not a lot of heavy deposition. Oh there's stories and legends, but the bigger stuff is in British Columbia--that's where the nuggets come from that are in the last picture right before your post. That's why I spend so much time in that neck of the woods chasing those pesky, sassy nuggets they have there.

Take a peek at my thread (hot-linked below) if you want to read a few stories about my adventures and misadventures while chasing the gold.

Good luck, and all the best,

Lanny
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

Last edited:

3029heavy

Dec 19, 2012
Thanks for the advice! As a matter of fact, I just delivered my last truck in Edmonton and am now awaiting my morning flight out of Leduc. That is awesome news about being able to at least pan out here! Last time I ran up the Frasier to Ft. St. John, I almost had to become an outlaw and take a few samples! It was so tempting and gorgeous up thru there! But time constraints and a fear of being arrested outside my native country kept me honest and I just tooled on up the road! BC isn't rare, but most of my loads go up thru Alberta. I'll be in San Antonio tomorrow night hoping for a good load to/thru gold bearing country! May your cons be heavy, and your pan be yellow my friend!

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the advice! As a matter of fact, I just delivered my last truck in Edmonton and am now awaiting my morning flight out of Leduc. That is awesome news about being able to at least pan out here! Last time I ran up the Frasier to Ft. St. John, I almost had to become an outlaw and take a few samples! It was so tempting and gorgeous up thru there! But time constraints and a fear of being arrested outside my native country kept me honest and I just tooled on up the road! BC isn't rare, but most of my loads go up thru Alberta. I'll be in San Antonio tomorrow night hoping for a good load to/thru gold bearing country! May your cons be heavy, and your pan be yellow my friend!

No problem, and all the best to you as you chase that gorgeous yellow metal!

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So much fun--I'm bumping this up!

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow--that stuff has a gorgeous lustre D-Man. Do jewelers put a premium on it? I've heard in some places they do that.

All the best,

Lanny

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Lanny, agreed, this stuff is pretty and shiny. This is all real fine stuff.Not sure about the jewelers here as I'm a California guy just visiting. Here's a little better picture for ya, not to bad for shovel and pan only for 4 hrs.

Attachments

• image-682381627.jpg
    image-682381627.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 193
  • image-2244496925.jpg
    image-2244496925.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 184

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Rock Nose and sniffer belly
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OH man........ im wet all over. Its hot in here, or is it just me. Hard to breathe, feelin shaky..... Whats going on.... Im confused...

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yer right--nothin' like the fever.

All the best,

Lanny

3029heavy

Dec 19, 2012
There ya go Lanny. A little Wa state gold obtained thru a drop riffle sluice and alot of elbow grease today

ForumRunner_20130302_190309.png

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome vid !!!

Wow I'd like to run my dredge in there sluice for a bit ...
That sure makes the old brain dream a little ...wonder what kind of withdraws ill have from watching this one? He'll I'm already shaking ...lol
Looks like those Boy will be smiling for awhile...
Gary

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My my Lanny,
You've just compounded the misery of many a miner though I'm not hearing any complaints! There is just something about gold that
causes a commotion within a person that just seems like it can never be kept under control, even in the winter. The gold you've shown
us puts my little pile I found in 2010 to shame but that is okay by me as I still had fun finding it and sharing the pictures of it.

The shoulder surgery is getting close to happening. I told the folks in China that I was no longer interested in their position so I will
be staying state side and that is ok by me. Now for all three surgeries to be done, recovered from and good and strong again.

Thank you for the heart palpitations................63bbbbbbkpkr

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There ya go Lanny. A little Wa state gold obtained thru a drop riffle sluice and alot of elbow grease today

View attachment 751093

Nicely done! Washington is still on my list of places to get to one day to get a little sassy gold.

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread