Big, beautiful North American Placer!! Freakin fantastic!!!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Big, beautiful North American Placer!! Freakin' fantastic!!!

Unbelievable video of big North American gold nuggets + new finds, pics, videos added: a live thread, so please post your gold shots.
I'll add other videos or stills of big nuggety North American gold as I find them.

This video starts slow, but it's shot underground, so give it a while and then watch out that you don't have a freakin' heart attack!!

I hope you love looking at this as much as I did--every placer miner's dream come true. If you're a rookie, you'll get the fever bad watching this one. (To avoid any confusion, this is not my video, nor is it my clean-up, nor was I involved in any way--I found it by mistake after typing in a search word incorrectly [that's why I'd never found it before], but I sure do love it!!)

Almost 3,800 ounces in the last shot--fines are in the large plastic bags. 100 miles north of the Arctic Circle!

All the best,

Lanny

P.S. I posted it with my beginner's thread as well, but it's so great it deserves it's own place too.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

Last edited:
Upvote 2

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh my that is a nice, lovely, awesome, sweet piece of malleable metal he has in his hand. Some shiny stones in it as well.
Lanny, you always come up with terrific pictures, and thank you for sharing!......................63 bkpkr/Herb

No problem Herb. It certainly is a beautiful example of what Mother Nature can craft when she's in the mood.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
lanny how deep was it ?

This is what he sent me: "Here are the particulars.

4500 with the 8x10 DD Joey, enhanced settings. It was on a miners course tailings pile, lots O metal with some hot rocks. 12 to 18 inches down, hard to tell in course tailings.

7 oz total with approximately 4.2 gold, assessed value in December was $6500."

All the best,

Lanny

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Found a few like that....but only in my dreams..:BangHead:

One gorgeous hunk of gold that is!

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Found a few like that....but only in my dreams..:BangHead:

One gorgeous hunk of gold that is!

So true! You can only imagine what it's done to my dreams.

All the best, and thanks for dropping in,

Lanny

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Even though there's no gold in my state to be had, I'm heading down to the brook behind my house on my lunchbreak today with a cereal bowl

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
It was on a miners course tailings pile, lots O metal with some hot rocks.

Whoa! If that came out of the Tailings pile I'd love to see what the miner that was working that area kept! Please tell me that he/they were working that area BEFORE detectors were available! I've gotten into the habit of detecting my tailings to make sure I didn't toss even a little nugget out by accident. That something as nice as that one was missed is amazing.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow! Even though there's no gold in my state to be had, I'm heading down to the brook behind my house on my lunchbreak today with a cereal bowl

AU contraire mon Amie, there is glacial gold in CT. This is quoted from GoldRushNuggets.com : Like many other New England states, Connecticut has a small amount of placer gold. Litchfield County in the northwestern part of the state has the most known occurrences, with nearly all gold being small glacial deposits. Above the Thomaston Dam at Leadmine brook are documented gold discoveries, as well as the Farmington River northwest of Hartford. Spruce brook also has reports of minor placer gold deposits.

...a quick google search will help you find more info...and that creek behind your house might be full of colors, go have a look!

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Ha, ha, that sounds like fun. I remember once I found myself driving along a right pretty stream, and I didn't have a gold pan with me, so I used a cup to pan some dirt! It sure didn't work anywhere close to well at all, but I just couldn't pass it by without washing some of that dirt.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Whoa! If that came out of the Tailings pile I'd love to see what the miner that was working that area kept! Please tell me that he/they were working that area BEFORE detectors were available! I've gotten into the habit of detecting my tailings to make sure I didn't toss even a little nugget out by accident. That something as nice as that one was missed is amazing.

If it was someone with a wash-plant, they had screens on them, usually one-inch square. Any big stuff would shake right off with the rocks.

I knew a guy that had a huge rock pile on his claim. It was from an old dragline, placer operation, well before the advent of metal detectors.

Well, a man from the closest city (four hours away by logging roads, through bush and mountains) came by one day with a metal detector. He asked the owner of that rock pile if he could check that man-made hill out with the metal detector. He got about half way up as he was on his way to start detecting at the top where there was a level spot. But right there on the rocks part way up, he spotted a large flat nugget that fit right over the back of his entire hand!!

That sassy nugget had washed over the screens of the wash-plant after the dragline had dumped the stream gravels through it. The city boy that never even fired up his detector showed the gold to the rock pile owner of course, and as the owner had told him he could keep anything he found, the owner had to stick to his word, but he really hated himself for having ever told the guy he could keep whatever he found.

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice pics guys!! Wowsers.. I want a potato nuggy to

If I can get permission to post some other photos I have, I've got some gold that would fit your wishes perfectly.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
dream? how could you sleep? id be out there with my flashlight looking for more! very nice!

Thanks for dropping in.

The reason it makes me dream (as stated earlier) is because a very nice nugget-shooter I met a couple of years ago is the lucky person that found the gorgeous nugget in the picture this past summer. (I wouldn't want to take any credit for it.)

The other picture I took this past summer as well while visiting some placer miners working close to where we were prospecting out a new area. The gold in that pan sure got our attention, and I didn't sleep very well that night either! (By the way, that's a full-sized gold pan, not a blow-up of a small pan--those nuggets are brawny and mighty sassy.)

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
First of all, I'd like to thank Sam, one of the partners, for giving me permission to post these photos. It took me a while to get permission, but now that I have it, I'm sure you'll have fun drooling over these gorgeous, huge, genuine North American nuggets.

The owner is Mike, and the other partner is Andy (All three of them together are known as "The Three Hombres"). The nuggets weigh in at 2 1/2 pounds. That's right, pounds!! The one came in at 16.2 ounces, the other at 14.32. The big ones were found with a Minelab SD (that's why I've still got mine--great machines). I'll post the links to the youtube videos that go with them as well, as Sam has given me permission for that too.

Here's the link: www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlNFClfnFbk

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember reading that article! Showed it to Robi and her eyes got real big, she started shaking and said "THAT'S what WE'RE going to find soon!" Nothing like the power of positive thinking! ...at least I hope that's what that reaction was!!!!!

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the best heavy equipment operator, this side of the Mississippi!
Tell us when you want us to show up for work! :icon_thumleft:

Thanks for sharing all that Lanny! Good luck to ya'll and HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread