Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy T-netters! Great day at the fort site today. No, awesome day at the fort site today! I did make videos with my phone while on site, but Bergie and I decided that a couple of the finds were so significant that the videos could give off grid coordinates and compromise our site. After all, Bergie got SPECIAL permission and people may come in by boat and steal our thunder or try to get our hunting put to a cease fire because of the GOLD.

So, the day got started on a bad note as my pin pointer fell out of my pouch. After a 50 yard backtrack I recovered it. Thank you Jesus! Here is the order of my damage today with the coins found, in order of recovery:

attachment.phpa.jpg

Untitleda.jpg

(1) 1786 2 reale, Mexico mint, M I assayer
(2) 1783 1 reale, Mexico mint, F F assayer
(3) 1807 8 escudo, Mexico mint, T H assayer
(4) 1793 2 escudo, Spain mint, M F assayer

Keep in mind, the last time I was there I found a 1783 1/2 escudo and folks told me there was probably more gold there. Now I am a believer. Probably still some more.
The other finds include some rusty thing which looks like a wrench, but did they have wrenches like that 200 years ago. Doubt it! I'd appreciate input on that item. Also some other shard of rusty metal, an old .45 caliber casing, a fishing sinker that has a number 2, and a piece of lead that could be a very fubar musket ball. I don't know what kicked my tail the worse today: the terrain or the adrenaline of the excitement of my best gold finds ever! Man I'm worn out. Wish I could flaunt the videos. Enjoy the pics! HH!

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 91

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, wow, wow, wow, to infinity....Congratulations!!! That's one heck of a site! Please keep passing along updates on future finds.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What war was it at that site ?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
With that site so close to water lots of things have seeped lower than usual. Because of the depth and angle of the 1 reale I almost went by it. The 2 escudo was in 3 feet of water. It was a very lucky day. Anything Bergie and I find is just gravy compared to what archeologists found.

I wonder if a metal detector such as my' JW Fishers Pulse 8X with it's depth, would have really made the difference with many more finds??!!

Frank

Last edited:

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
Those are Amazing...I get excited when I find Spanish silver.. never mind Spanish Gold!!!! Banner finds for sure.. Major Congrats:thumbsup:

OP
OP
W

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if a metal detector such as my' Fishers Pulse 8X with it's depth, would have really made the difference with many more finds??!!

Frank

Who knows? My White's DFX 950 does pretty good considering how close to water I was working. Water can distort and send false signals. I recovered an 1837 half dime at 11 inches once. That's pretty good.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, put my banner vote in. Congrats on the best hunt I have ever read on this site EVER! I have only been here two years, that is by far making me very jelly. Ha good for you!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Who knows? My White's DFX 950 does pretty good considering how close to water I was working. Water can distort and send false signals. I recovered an 1837 half dime at 11 inches once. That's pretty good.

You might want to look into a JW Fishers Pulse 8X because they are suited for salt and fresh water and will work on land as well!! I don't think there is another MD that is suited for water and land that has their depth capability but could be wrong. I am taking mine' to South Carolina to see if it will pick up some nice Gold nuggets in a stream and will likely use it on land along with my' White's GMT and a couple of other metal detectors.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, put my banner vote in. Congrats on the best hunt I have ever read on this site EVER! I have only been here two years, that is by far making me very jelly. Ha good for you!

It is by far my best hunt considering the sheer number of ounces of gold. I've found two gold coins before, but not that size. My hunt there before this one a few months ago wasn't bad either.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's amazing, (2) Spanish GOLD and (2) Spanish SILVER. They must have been shooting them out of their cannons at the that fort as many as you have plucked off that site so far. I'm a little surprised you're not finding more buttons and musketballs.

Military sites can be the best places to find gold, since the payrolls were often in gold.

That's what I thought. It hasn't changed in 1000s of years, the best place for Roman Gold Coins is a Fort.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A half dime at 11inch, with a whites??? Wow i have to get me one of them!!!!!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Liking it Bill, the place is treating you great, congrats on the awesome recoveries of the gold and silver coinage and thinking out of the box. Is there any chance of getting some better photos, say outside. in the paw? :) BTW the vote is in on this one as it's what dreams are made of right there!

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will not be long until we see these at the top of the page - congrats on some finds of a lifetime!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Fantastic finds! Congrats! It should make banner.
What were the numbers reading on the gold coins?

If it's in a wet area heavy stuff sinks deeper, you may have to get a deeper seeking detector.
That is one heck of a site!

OP
OP
W

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Fantastic finds! Congrats! It should make banner.
What were the numbers reading on the gold coins?

If it's in a wet area heavy stuff sinks deeper, you may have to get a deeper seeking detector.
That is one heck of a site!

(1) 2 reale......+85 @ 4.5 inches
(2) 1 reale......+42, +55, +82 @ 7 inches
(3) 8 escudo....+20 above water, +95 in water @ 8 inches
(4) 2 escudo....+95 @ 7.5 inches to 3 feet of water

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, you and Slowwevo are the two people on this site who have made the best finds....ever!!!

sproatz

Oct 2, 2014
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites spectra v3i with multiple coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You stole my dream lol great job

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro,Garrett 5x8, Nel Tornado / Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer‎/ Minelab X-terra 705 / Makro pinpointer / Nel Tornado coil / Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Beautiful finds.

OP
OP
W

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You stole my dream lol great job

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm not gonna lie. My dream coin is a $20 liberty gold or capped bust gold. Not gonna find one anytime soon. The doubloon will do, definitely.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions