What's new

big grizzly bears used to roam north dakota

larson1951

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2009
Messages
4,974
Reaction score
3,894
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
we find some good size grizzly teeth once in a while

IMG_0547.webp

IMG_0549.webp
 
Upvote 0
That's cool! I always enjoy seeing the wide range of artifacts and things in your area. The soils around here are just not kind to things like that.
 
Nice,:thumbsup: no grizzly's here but do find bear teeth at my sites now & then along with many other types of teeth.
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0166.webp
    DSCN0166.webp
    153.8 KB · Views: 166
  • DSCN0167.webp
    DSCN0167.webp
    178.4 KB · Views: 157
  • DSCN0168.webp
    DSCN0168.webp
    440.2 KB · Views: 218
  • DSCN0169.webp
    DSCN0169.webp
    169.2 KB · Views: 183
Thanks for shareing Larson you are blessed with the grounds. Here is a tooth I have admired to the likeing of the bear group ,do ya all agree ?
 
Thanks for shareing Larson you are blessed with the grounds. Here is a tooth I have admired to the likeing of the bear group ,do ya all agree ?
Nah,they are wild bore tusk/teeth I find them as well.
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0175.webp
    DSCN0175.webp
    223.8 KB · Views: 160
  • DSCN0176.webp
    DSCN0176.webp
    192.4 KB · Views: 193
What a big tooth you have !!!!
 
I would love to find one of those. I know we had them at one time, but they are long gone now. We still have bear though. that must have been a massive bear. Wonder what the print size on it was.
 
:thumbsup: That's a nice sized one at that! They would have been awfully brave to hunt down a full grown Grizzly with those rather primitive bow and arrows. I suppose, get a well placed shot, shoot, then find a tree real close, and climb it as fast as you can! lol!
 
....been waiting for a place to post this...thanks Larson for doing a "teeth" thing...lol Kind of glad we don't have the bears that belong to those teeth you have...scary! Just have black bears here and "puddies" like these poor ones....although one did get a chicken pet of ours....the other one was from a near by ranch...still sad :(RSCN4174.webp
 
omg that was a big bear for sure!!!!. lol
 
Thanks TK Darn it hog washed again tons of range hog lots in the old school farm days .I have read alot of stories of brave natives armed with a knife going hand to hand combat with bears ..
 
omg that was a big bear for sure!!!!. lol


yep it musta been a big one
i don't know what it would have weighed though but i guess maybe 500 lbs or?
i think it is about the biggest tooth we found

larson1951
 
At first I thought this was a claw instead of a tooth. I wonder what it bit to split the tooth or is this a frost-pop type break due to heating and cooling?
 
thanks 73
i say you are right on your idea
i think it had a crack and it would fill with water/snow/ice then freeze and get increasingly wider and more wider

larson1951
 
Even fossilized teeth may split like this one, once taken from their stable resting place.
In a collection, it is the eventual drying of the dentin (the interior material) which
is stressed upon drying, and may then splinter. The preventative measure
that fossil tooth collectors should take involves consolidation with resins dissolved
in acetone. There is not much you can do for a tooth that has already splintered.
 
Hopewell piece from Illinois.
2F441491-F7FA-4794-935F-49127F49507F-15022-000002D729653FDA_zps4e44d81d.jpg


The pearls are old, but not original to the piece. They are just setting there for the picture like the original maker intended.
 
WOW!!! I have found a couple, but nothing compared to those. Thanks for the pics.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom